Hire the best Electrician

Curious - does this price sound reasonable?

Default Curious - does this price sound reasonable?

So I finally had someone out to do up a quote on having an outlet installed into my shed.
    1x 15a outlet 1m unobstructed run from the subboard. There is space in the board to install a 16a breaker.
    Line from main board to subboard is fine and doesn't need to be fiddled with, nor the fuse in the mainboard, so pretty minimal amount of work in my personal opinion.

As an average Joe (Who has done data cabling work, restricted license, refuse to touch electricals because I just don't want to risk it, fussy like that), I'd view that as 30m~1hr of work (Hole in board box, hole in mounting block, install breaker, wire up breaker & outlet, screws, blammo). Overall I was preparing myself for $200 work all up.

Is $420ish reasonable at current rates, or should I look around a bit more?

Quite curious to find out. If that's the going sort of rate, then fair enough. If it's more than it should be, then fair enough. Thank goodness for free quotes either way

G'day,

When we come across a house without a safety switch or there's no room in the existing switch board, the sparky we use at work charges $600 to put in a new switch board and install a safety switch, including an electrical inspection. Can take upto 4 hours, yes he's there doing roughing in and fitting off, but 9 times out of 10 he comes back a few days later when we are done and the home owners are out or don't need to use power.

As you say free quotes are cheap.

Sounds expensive to me!
    Electricians I have used charge $70 - $90 an hour plus materials.
    Noting lost by getting several quotes and comparing.
    Maybe the job is to small and they are charging more to make it worth the call out/travel time?
    Good luck.

I paid $350 about a year ago. Had to run cable through roof, etc. He did another small job while there. Maybe i was ripped off, but seemed fair enough at the time.
    TM

Unless he has a minimum charge or something. Still, $ 420 for 1 GPO - thats plumbers rates

Is there an RCD fitted already? If there is no RCD, you'd need to factor in the cost of an RCD.

The quote seems high to me, but most labour charges seem high to me.
    There is no middle ground between facts and fallacies - argumentum ad temperantiam

2K Club Member

I just had a 15a plug put in for small hot water system. 16 meters of cable from the main board up the wall over the ceiling with

a switch on the sub board $ 195.00

Get another quote, see how they compare.
    Remember the 7 p's.
    Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance.

Quote Originally Posted by murray44 View Post
    Get another quote, see how they compare.
    Allow $90-100 for them to ring the door bell and a similar amount for each half hour plus materials which may have 50-100% mark up.
    The circuit will need a RCD, and if there is not one already, fitting one will increase the cost or even blow it out.

Ask for a break down of costs. Remember to give a quote they will assume the worst case scenario and need to cover their time and materials on what may happen. If the job goes well and goes quicker and fewer materials are needed you still pay the quoted price, ie they have a wind fall.

Hi guys,

I'm going to be getting a friend to do the install - he's a licensed sparky, only just recently moved to a desk job on the mines. For the sum of two cartons of cider and the cost of materials he's going to do it for me. This coming Friday, I'll hopefully be able to make use of my new/old welder! (That I won in an auction for $62)
    I could have chased up another quote, but working out the time to be home from work to have someone around is a bit trickier, so the sooner the better.

Here's a photo of the area of install for those that are interested. The white spray painted blotch to the left is where I want the powerpoint to be mounted.

powerpointtobe.jpg

My friend has thoughtfully tasked me to chase down the parts (I'm a lot more likely to bargain hunt than he is), and I'd like to know if anyone has had any experience with Sparky Direct - Online Electrical Wholesaler- Electrical Accessories at all? $20 for the 15a outlet and $38 for the RCD/MCB (Here) with whatever the postage cost will be comes across as a good price to me.

Quote Originally Posted by LordBug View Post
    Hi guys,

I I'd like to know if anyone has had any experience with Sparky Direct - Online Electrical Wholesaler- Electrical Accessories at all? .
    Going with a friend is the best way to go in my books.

I have bought from Sparky direct and found their service fast and efficient. Prices were good and postage cost very reasonable. If you know what you are buying and have done your research you can definitely save over the local electrical wholesaler.
    They don't carry all products and all brands but if they have what you want then I would recommend them.

Sparky direct Is not ideal unless your licensed price wise try http://electriciansupplies.com.au for no questions asked supplies.

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by Belair_Boy View Post
    Going with a friend is the best way to go in my books.

I have bought from Sparky direct and found their service fast and efficient. Prices were good and postage cost very reasonable. If you know what you are buying and have done your research you can definitely save over the local electrical wholesaler.
    They don't carry all products and all brands but if they have what you want then I would recommend them.
    Hi Lordbug,
    I have just compared prices with electriciansupplies.com and sparkydirect on the 15 amp power point, mounting block and safety switch. Sparky direct wins hands down on price and range. They also stock Clipsal products whereas electrician supplies only supplies Australec generic brand. (looking at your photo you have Clipsal Breakers).
    You should be paying approx $190.00 - $220.00 for the job.
    Hope that helps !!

Apprentice (new member)

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by ykraps View Post
    Hi Lordbug,
    I have just compared prices with electriciansupplies.com and sparkydirect on the 15 amp power point, mounting block and safety switch. Sparky direct wins hands down on price and range. They also stock Clipsal products whereas electrician supplies only supplies Australec generic brand. (looking at your photo you have Clipsal Breakers).
    You should be paying approx $190.00 - $220.00 for the job.
    Sorry made a mistake electrician supply sells other brands other then australec. Whoops.
    Hope that helps !!

I made the order through SparkyDirect Monday last week, and it turned up today, sent via Fastway couriers (Who seem to have an average of a week+ delivery time from over East to WA, that's three times running for me now). I'm really happy with the price, and the fact that they stocked Clipsal for the GPOs and RCD/MCBs.

In the end, I received a Clipsal 2000 15A GPO, and a Clipsal 2 pole 16A RCD/MCB (RCBM216/30). $19 and $35 respectively, $10 for shipping, and $10 off for it being my first order and making use of the coupon code that they offer (You need to "like" their facebook page to get access to it), and finally GST on top of that to bring it to a very respectable $60.

There isn't any clear way of being able to track the order online, I'd assume I'd have to contact them to get details for the Fastway.

That aside, I'd recommend them to anyone from this experience (Can't blame them for the couriers own speed).

Thankfully I've got about twenty or thirty mounting blocks left over from my data cabling days.
    And of course, Murhpy's Law has resulted in the items arriving the same day that my sparky mate has flown out on. Looks like I'll be looking longingly at my MIG welder for a bit longer

Thanks for the help everyone, and I hope this feedback on Sparky Direct helps someone who's looking in the future.

Community Moderator

You had better get one of these as they are much better when installing a GPO on steel.

Clipsal SOLID MOUNTING BLOCK 30MM DEEP 238WE Sparky Direct - Online Electrical Wholesaler- Electrical Accessories

They look really handy, I'll keep them in mind for the future, thanks.
    Thankfully the beam I'm getting the point installed on is wood, so my current blocks are still plenty fine

Community Moderator

No worries it looked like rusty channel iron to me, my mistake