Hire the best Electrician

Device that shuts of water pump if it's left on for extended period of time??

Default Device that shuts of water pump if it's left on for extended period of time??

We're on tank (rain) water at our home.

If we have a hose break, the kids leave a tap on, the nozzle fall off the garden hose, or any other such mistakes we could come home from an outing with the entire tank drained of water! I'm speaking from experience!!

Is there a device out there that can be programmed to automatically shut off the pump if it runs for an extended period of time? We never need to have the water running continuously for more than about 5 minutes (the time it takes to have a shower)...so surely a device that simply monitors for the pump say - running for longer than 30 minutes continuously - and shuts it off would do the trick?

Anyone heard of such a thing?

Default Device that shuts of water pump if it's left on for extended period of time??

Joined RF in 2006...Resigned in 2020.

4K Club Member

Grundfos's special purpose rain water pump for domestic use includes this feature, as well as drip detection and other useful things like constant pressure, low energy consumption and low noise. https://au.grundfos.com/campaigns/pe...rpressure.html
    Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it necessary, it is true, does it improve on the silence? - Baba

Beyond the above links if its an older style pressure pump a timer can be wired in parallel to the pressure switch. Turns on when water pressure drops starting pump and times for x period before opening a contact to stop pump.

Great! So there seems to be one add-on product on the market in Australia (Aquatrip) and something similar being sold in America (Water Hero). I can't seem to find anything else by searching the net. I'm surprised there isn't more products out there that do this.

Good to see Grundfos are now beginning to include the protective function "maximum continuous operation time of 30 minutes" feature in their pumps.

Quote Originally Posted by doovalacky View Post
    Beyond the above links if its an older style pressure pump a timer can be wired in parallel to the pressure switch. Turns on when water pressure drops starting pump and times for x period before opening a contact to stop pump.
    Yes I was wondering whether there might be a simple electrical device that could be wired in to do what I am proposing. The Aquatrip/Water Hero might be overkill for me.

To clarify - are you saying it work would by simply detecting when the pump is activated (draws power), at which point a timer is initiated which then shuts off the power to the device if it is operating continuously for say 30 minutes? Can you tell me what sort of timer I need to suggest to my electrician specifically?

Yes, difficulty of installing will depend on what you have but often quite simple.

Any sort of "on delay" timer with a normally closed contact will do and there is a multitude of them. After the time period it will turn on, opening the contact.
    Omron H3DK-M2 is a versatile one I have used often.

Honestly...I have been listening very carefully to the pump. I've been chasing leaks around the pump over the last couple of days...all of them due to poor product choices and the resultant issues it generated. I have been grumpy recently...
    Joined RF in 2006...Resigned in 2020.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by doovalacky View Post
    Yes, difficulty of installing will depend on what you have but often quite simple.

Any sort of "on delay" timer with a normally closed contact will do and there is a multitude of them. After the time period it will turn on, opening the contact.
    Omron H3DK-M2 is a versatile one I have used often.
    Thanks for this!