Hire the best Electrician

Disconnection and replacement of power points during renovation

Novice

Question Disconnection and replacement of power points during renovation

Hi all

I am retiling my kitchen and have already removed many of the tiles. I will also need to repair large parts of the walls places before I retile because the plaster is uneven and/or falling off the bricks in places (mortar, not plasterboard). I'm planning to get the electrician to temporarily remove all power points before I repair the walls and retile, and get them reinstalled later in different positions.

I don't know what is involved in this and I am concerned that if I don't plan this properly, it could end up taking more electrician visits and/or costing me more than it needs to.
    Another consideration is that my electrician prefers not to hack out the wall to install metal in-wall mounting boxes in my house because this can cause wider damage to the soft walls. But if he can do this before I repair the walls, this will not be a problem.

Is there an order in which we should do things?
    Does the electrician terminate the wires inside the wall? How does he find them again?
    Do I need to make or leave holes?
    Any other advice?

Warren

If you've got a sparkie lined up, it'd be better to ask them how they'd like to do things.

I would just keep removing the tiles and so on, taking them away from around the power points, then get the sparkie in to do the relocation, then make good the walls and retile and get the sparkie back for final attachment of the power points.

Or do you mean he wants to surface mount everything rather than chase it into the walls???
    DIY electrical house wiring details suitable for Australia - http://goo.gl/9d33T (PDF file)

Novice

Thanks RU. I don't mean that he wants to surface mount everything.

In one section of wall where there will be a powerpoint, I may need to completely scrape off the old plaster and put up a sheet of platerboard. In another section, I will need to spread base coat in the area where the powerpoint will be. Thus my specific questions above about what the electrician actually needs to do, so that I can work out how to approach the wall repair in the location of the powerpoints.

1K Club Member

Disconnect the power, rip out the old power points and plaster etc, install new wiring to required locations leaving a bit extra and also install mounting for the power points fixed to the timber, put up the new plasterboard with a hole poked through and the unconnected wiring brought through that hole. Then the electrician connects the wiring to the power points and screws them into the mounting brackets previously installed.

Electrician must do the disconnection and installation of everything (that's the law, let's not debate it here) but it's common practice that whoever installs the plasterboard pokes the holes in it and brings the wiring through those holes - no need for an electrician just to poke an unconnected cable through the plaster. Then the electrician does the connection and installation of the power points and reconnects power at the switchboard (or wherever else they disconnected it). Anyone can do the ripping out etc after power has been disconnected.

That's how I'd do it as a generic "site unseen" answer.

Community Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    Disconnect the power, rip out the old power points and plaster etc, install new wiring to required locations leaving a bit extra and also install mounting for the power points fixed to the timber, put up the new plasterboard with a hole poked through .
    I never replied as the poster has plaster over brick not timber which is an easier job, maybe you have experience with this type of construction a I don't.

Get the electrician in to remove the power points and fit bp connectors so you can still have the power on during the reno. While he is there see if there is enough slack in the cables to move the power points to the new location or get him to rough in the new cables. Are you installing a flick mixer? You might want to get a plumber in before you retile.
    Collector of cheap throw away tools.

Community Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Nic0 View Post
    Get the electrician in to remove the power points and fit bp connectors so you can still have the power on during the reno.
    You would find it difficult to do that as using BP connectors is not satisfactory under those conditions.

Default Re: Disconnection and replacement of power points during renovation

Quote Originally Posted by Bros View Post
    You would find it difficult to do that as using BP connectors is not satisfactory under those conditions.
    I didn't!!! I got a licensed electrician to do it for me in a satisfactory way!!!!!!!!!!
    Collector of cheap throw away tools.

Community Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Nic0 View Post
    I didn't!!! I got a licensed electrician to do it for me in a satisfactory way!!!!!!!!!!
    !!! does that make you feel good!!!!!!!!!!