Hire the best Electrician

downlights in unit block

Apprentice (new member)

Default downlights in unit block

Hi all,

I'm on the top floor and have a roof cavity above me. I've been told that the ceiling has to maintain its fire rating of 90min (i think). This is achieve by ceiling being made of two layers of gyprock. If i where to cut hole for down lights this would void the fire rating.

I have found downlight that are rated to 100min would i be legaly alloud to put these in?

Also when i move in the unit had a 3 in 1 in the bath room and an exaust fan in the laundry, again wouln't these void the fire rating.

If there is any one out there who know the legalites of ceiling fire rating your help would be much appreciated.

thanks,
    Steve

Apprentice (new member)

Hi Steve
    Don't really have any specific technical advise for you, however I do have an investment proprety unit and at the end of the day when it comes to these sorts of matters it would be best to seek specific advice via your body corporate (assuming there is one). I would imagine fire ratings etc would impact the insurance that the body corporate should have for the overall unit block/complex. I know it can be a pain going through this process and I honestly don't know what sort of inspections, if any, are done regarding fire ratings but I wouldn't want to be the owner that might jepordise everyone else. As I said no real technical advise but just a thought.

kws77 has given good advice, this is more of an insurance issue than an electrical issue.
    Good luck with the body corporate.

Regards Bradford

1K Club Member

You can maintain the fire rating of the ceiling by using a fire rated down light cover with the appropropriate rating.Similar items are available for GPOs and switches in fire rated plaster board walls.

Tools

Apprentice (new member)

thanks for your advise guys. I have contacted strata and the just want to know the manufacture of the fire rated downlights and are happy for me to put them in.(well as sparky that is)