Hire the best Electrician

Drop new wiring from roof to ground floor

Default Drop new wiring from roof to ground floor

I want to install new Network cable and Antenna cable from roof cavity to ground floor where lounge room TV will be install.

The original antenna socket and network cable socket is on opposite side to what I want, that why I current running cable from opposite wall to this point which looks messy in lounge room.

How difficult to have wire drop in between brick cavity and wall cavity ? What method ? Electrical conduct 20mm or a string with heavy weight on bottom ?

Once it done then I will get electrician to connect to sockets.

The photos shown below was taken 5 years ago when house was built, but it give you idea what I meant in red line drawing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bricked-house-medium-.jpg   framed-stage-medium-.jpg  

Dropping the cable down the cavity between the bricks and the stud wall is generally pretty easy. Drop a string first with a big nut or something heavy on the end.

Not sure what you will strike where the top floor is but you should get past ok.

Make your hole in the wall down stairs and then shine a torch through, the person up top should be able to aim for the light, sometims a bit tricky on a bright sunny day. Fish the nut out at the bottom with a bit of wire and you should be away.

Good luck.
    Remember the 7 p's.
    Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance.

Thanks for quick tip. I will have to ask my friend go up in roof while I do the bottom.

2x4

Any chance of picking a tougher spot?

You will be lucky to gain access to that position in the roof by the look of your photos.
    A young skinny dood that has rubber joints may come in handy.

Normally you would slide back a roof tile and then use Murray's method, but that does not look do-able either.

Tuck your cables under the edges of your carpet and be done with it. ( See sig line)

I might be rough.....but at least I'm expensive

Community Moderator

I had to do something similar and I drilled a hole in the bottom brick joint as I was taking it outside and got one of my fishing rods with a real big barrel sinker and lower it down and had piece of wire and had someone fish it out.

I was going outside the brick and I didn't have to go through the waterproofing but you will if you go via the cavity you will have to go through the waterproofing as the waterproofing is nailed to the studs I don't know waht implication that will cause.

In my earlier post I assumed you would slide back some tiles, not send a skinny bloke into the roof. You won't get close enough to the edge inside the roof, and I just noticed you may have trouble sliding back tiles because you are right near the ridgeline.

I'm out of suggestions, short of picking an easier spot for the TV. Good luck.
    Remember the 7 p's.
    Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance.

step one call foxtell.
    step two get free instal and no or three month contract.
    step three get rid of foxtell use there cables for your antenna.

if that fails go underground into your garage then snake up from there.

We did a similar job recently and ended up pushing yellow tongue up ( 2 joined together) in the cavity until it was well into the roof space this allowed us to kick a tile back away from the ridge cap and hook it over with a piece of conduit. It will probably take a lot of shaking, wiggling and patience to get it up that cavity.

1K Club Member

What has worked for me in these circumstances is threading a string with a weight on it through a short length of conduit. With the string pulled back until the weight is just at the end of the conduit. Then from inside the ceiling you push the conduit out until the weight is over the top of the cavity and let the string feed through the conduit and down the cavity. Fish out from below and attach cable. It means that you don't have to crawl right over to the edge.

Does that make sense?

2x4

And the winner is .......................Phil. Great idea. (from a southsider too )

Sort of wish I had a double story with a pig of a spot to get to so I can try that one out. Well...maybe not.

I might be rough.....but at least I'm expensive

1K Club Member

Being old and having a beer gut is the mother of invention