Hire the best Electrician

Gliderol GRD board and remote frustration

Default Gliderol GRD board and remote frustration

Our Gliderol board randomly starts beeping. It can go on for several minutes, stops for a few seconds then starts again. Other days it might just do it once or twice. We have resorted to turning off the power to it when we are at home. Today I noticed I can pull out a jumper to the buzzer. I am worried that if I do so it might be missing the cause of the beeping and something else is also faulty.
    Our remotes seem to work randomly too. Turning off the power can mean they won't work when it is back on and sometimes means they have to be reset, other times they work despite the power being off. The latest problem is that I can't seem to reprogram them. I've deleted them from memory and tried again several times. It has always been difficult, taking multiple attempts but now it just isn't happening.
    This Gliderol GRD has been a nightmare from the start. We had to replace the first board, replaced the remotes, had multiple call outs from technicians for the door getting stuck or shuddering. Each time we paid for a technician the problem of shuddering would return within hours or not be fixed and we'd be stuck with another call-out fee.
    Buying batteries for the remotes has also become ridiculous, but we try that all the time, just in case.
    We've also had to leave the cover slightly off after reprogramming because whenever we have put it back on the remotes won't work so we have to do the reprogramming thing all over again. The unit does have protection from the weather though.
    Does anyone have any idea about what else we can try with the remotes? And, is it okay to just pull out the jumper for the buzzer?

Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sapienreno View Post
    Our Gliderol board randomly starts beeping. It can go on for several minutes, stops for a few seconds then starts again. Other days it might just do it once or twice.
    I know nothing specific about Gliderol, and the manual I could find does not mention beeps being used to indicate error conditions - it only mentions beeps during some of the setup and transmitter coding procedures.

When it is beeping, is there any activity on the LEDs? I'm just wondering if it is detecting random presses of the buttons on the controller.

Similarly, I'm wondering if one of the remotes may be generating spurious signals even without a button pressed. Is there a LED on the remotes transmitters that shows when it is transmitting, and if so does that ever come on when you are not pressing a button? Otherwise, try taking the batteries out of all the remote transmitters and see if that stops the beeping.

Our remotes seem to work randomly too. Turning off the power can mean they won't work when it is back on and sometimes means they have to be reset
    The manual I found has an "Important Note" that says that after a power failure the OPEN function is disabled until a "limit reset cycle" is done, apparently requested by pressing the DOWN button. Perhaps that is part of what you are seeing.

... other times they work despite the power being off.
    I don't know what to make of that, other than the power switch is broken!

When the remotes are playing up, can the door be operated from the buttons on the controller, or from any cable-connected buttons that you might have?

Default Thanks for the help - still not right though

"..... try taking the batteries out of all the remote transmitters and see if that stops the beeping."

Batteries out of the remotes. I turned the power on and about five minutes later the controller started beeping, continuously until I went back up and turned off the power. Sometimes the beeping might only last for a few seconds, but it can also go for several minutes.

"The manual I found has an "Important Note" that says that after a power failure the OPEN function is disabled until a "limit reset cycle" is done, apparently requested by pressing the DOWN button. Perhaps that is part of what you are seeing."

The only way we can do that is by pressing the button on the actual controller again and there is no specific down button. I wonder if this is what is happening after we turn the power off. That never used to cause a problem with the remotes. Perhaps I should try putting the door up and down with the main controller and then try to reset the remotes.

We only have one button on each of the remotes that works the up and down function.

When I push the receiver button the red light goes on and it is supposed to go off when the remote is programmed. But it goes off without the remote pairing. It seems to stay on for about 4-5 seconds each time regardless of whether the remote has been programmed or not.

"When the remotes are playing up, can the door be operated from the buttons on the controller, or from any cable-connected buttons that you might have?[/QUOTE]

Yes, the controller still works, but we noticed that if the controller is beeping sometimes the remotes or controller wouldn't work until the beeping stopped.

Another thing is that I am sure the beeping problem only used to happen when we had damp or rainy days. I thought the moisture in the air was affecting something. The controller is covered so doesn't get wet. It has been in the last month or so that it randomly beeps no matter what the weather, but wet days are the worst.

Thanks for replying.

Golden Member

So I was looking at the wrong manual, for "GRD+" instead of your one.

If that is the right one you linked to, it also does not say anything about beeping for any error condition, at least, not that I can see.

All I do see is where it says "internal piezo siren that will beep momentarily on each activation of the door".

So, why would it be beeping when you are not activating it? Also, if it was getting activated spuriously, I would expect it to at least try to start moving, or occasionally open or close of its own accord.

I guess you could try calling Gliderol and ask them if continuous beeping is some error indicator that is not mentioned in the manual.

From what it does say in the manual there is no problem disabling the beep, but from your description of the problem, that will still leave it not working at times.

In desperation mode I would check that the door moves freely in the tracks and the limits are set correctly, but honestly it sounds like the controller has lost its marbles.

Given all the trouble you have had with it, maybe you would be better off replacing the whole thing.

Default Aaagh!!!

Thanks Ozcar.

I've read the manual so many times and haven't been able to find any answers. The piezo usually beeps once when the remote is pushed and then when the door stops. It beeps once again when the remote or button on the controller is pushed and then once when it is closed.

I saw somewhere about interference to the signal because of other gadgets in the neighbourhood operating on the same frequency, but if that is the cause the door would be operating. Apparently some people have problems with that.

Is it possible to get a different board than Gliderol's to operate the same mechanism?

Gliderol is definitely the most difficult company we've had to deal with and trying to get someone local to do work on it has been almost impossible. It is really inconvenient to park the car at the back garage, walk down the lane to the front, then through our yard to go up and use the button on the controller to open it. We'd put the door on manual but the key locking mechanism has never worked, and it needs to be locked due to the number of break-ins here.

Thanks again.

Golden Member

The way these "rolling code" remotes work, there is practically no chance that an an interfering signal from something else would activate the controller and open or close the door. However, a signal from something else could overpower the signal from your remotes and stop them from working, and could also stop the receiver from "learning" a remote" (it would have to be quite severe interference if the remote is very close to the receiver). That much might be consistent with what you are seeing - the door does not open or close by itself, but sometimes your remotes won't operate it, and sometimes you can't code/learn/reprogram a remote.

I would expect the controller to ignore an interfering signal, but I don't know for sure about that - perhaps that could cause it to beep. Some receivers have an LED on them that comes on when they pick up a signal, but I found a picture of the Gliderol receiver board and I don't see a LED there other than the one that comes on when you press the learn button. If there was such a LED it might give some clue if that LED came on when the thing is beeping.

In absence of evidence like that about the only other thing I can think of would be to remove the RF receiver board and see if that stops the beeping from happening, but you would need to know what you are doing.

I don't think you would find another brand of controller board that could be substituted, but RF receiver modules are available - not necessarily that could plug in directly in place of the existing board, but certainly connected to the terminals numbered 18 in the manual.

Thumbs up

Thanks again Ozcar.