Hire the best Electrician

grey hd conduit underground

Default grey hd conduit underground

Looking at putting a couple of conduits over to the shed incase I ever want power, I know about the depth requirement, laying of danger tape ect. Just wondering if I could lay grey hd or if it has to be orange ( have 32mm grey hd so would not have to purchase more)
    thanks

Community Moderator

Well the problem comes when you want to have power installed in the shed. You would have to find an electrician to do the job not knowing what is under the ground, how deep or weather it has marking tape.
    I would suggest you get the power on the shed when you dig the trench.
    As for grey HD conduit I didn't know it existed but I have been wrong before.

Grey hd? Are you sure it's not md?

Orange is hd, and is used underground. Grey is used above ground because orange has no uv resistance.

I see where you coming from when it is all buried . The grey hd was used for the solar installation, specifically because I was told it is uv rated (T) so sparky didn't need to bother carrying orange hd for inside building and grey md for outside.

Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by arnold View Post
    I see where you coming from when it is all buried . The grey hd was used for the solar installation, specifically because I was told it is uv rated (T) so sparky didn't need to bother carrying orange hd for inside building and grey md for outside.
    grey is md. orange is hd. orange has no uv resistance and cant be used out of the ground. Why anyone would use it in a roof cavity situation i dont know because it costs more than grey. It has no use anywhere else.

buy orange. you dont have a choice

Quote Originally Posted by Brian7886 View Post
    grey is md. orange is hd. orange has no uv resistance and cant be used out of the ground. Why anyone would use it in a roof cavity situation i dont know because it costs more than grey. It has no use anywhere else.

buy orange. you dont have a choice
    Solar dc cabling is required to be run within buildings in hd conduit, in the roof and wall cavities, they even do hd grey corro I'm told. Anyway had somone come take a look who is happy to use the grey hd (didn't know it existed either) prolly won't save me much tho

Is it normally orange so quick identification, in case someone accidentally digs it up!

Community Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    Is it normally orange so quick identification, in case someone accidentally digs it up!
    Don't know the history behind the colours. Normally grey and orange are electrical and white is comms but water and sewer are also white. And to complicate things LD corrugated conduit is almost white.

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey180 View Post
    Grey hd? Are you sure it's not md?

Orange is hd, and is used underground. Grey is used above ground because orange has no uv resistance.
    Also, Brian7886 said:

"grey is md. orange is hd. orange has no uv resistance and cant be used out of the ground."

However, according to Welcome to Iplex Pipelines Australia Pty Limited

PVC-U Electrical Conduit is available (from them) as Heavy Duty conduit in Orange (with thicker "walls") and Medium Duty conduit in Grey.

Hence, Heavy Duty PVC conduit is available in Orange (and, because it is PVC) may be UV resistant (?)

HDPE (High-density Polyethylene) Conduit (for underground installation) is available (from Iplex) (only) in Orange

The original poster (arnold) said
    "The grey hd was used for the solar installation, specifically because I was told it is uv rated (T) so sparky didn't need to bother carrying orange hd for inside building and grey md for outside."

Hence, it appears that some Grey HD PVC Conduit may be manufactured, but I have not yet found a reference to that manufacturer. Perhaps arnold could advise.

Also, see http://www.esv.vic.gov.au/Portals/0/...ust%202012.pdf
    where, among other things, it is stated:
    The solar array to inverter solar DC cables within buildings has to be in heavy duty plastic conduit. (Clause 4.3.6.3)
    All outdoor equipment must be suitable for the environment and be at least IP 54 and UV resistant. (Clause 4.3.3.1)

Nevertheless, arnold can't use his Grey HD (PVC ?) conduit underground, since such conduit must be Orange - and conduit is quite cheap, especially when compared with the effort of installing it below ground!

Lol, it's conduit, and cheap. It doesn't have to be confusing. Use grey above ground and orange below buy it from a reputable wholesaler. Done. Next job.

Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey180 View Post
    Lol, it's conduit, and cheap. It doesn't have to be confusing. Use grey above ground and orange below buy it from a reputable wholesaler. Done. Next job.

pretty much i buy orange for underground, grey for anything else. Its cheap, but if you have to start adding fittings like bends or whatever it can get dearer and dearer depending on size.