Hire the best Electrician

HomeKit Wifi Smart plugs in ceiling

Apprentice (new member)

Post HomeKit Wifi Smart plugs in ceiling

While I know it's possible to add them to individual lights

If I want to control a run of lights, is it possible to get someone to convert the first hardwired socket to take a flexible plug instead?

Has anyone done this before, any issues/suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails smartplugg.jpg  

Apprentice (new member)

Hopefully these explain it better
    existing.jpg
    addition.jpg

Looks like it would work to me. Is it legal? Not sure.
    If you do it, definitely not legal.
    Alec chickens won't tell ya. It's against their code of conduct and more profitable to keep the black art of the magic angry pixies to themselves, all while under the pretense of safety

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    If you do it, definitely not legal.
    Except for the first outlet termination, would be interested where code shows this type of DIY is illegal.

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    Except for the first outlet termination, would be interested where code shows this type of DIY is illegal.
    It's classed as an electrical installation because the sockets are connected to cables by screw terminals, therefore must be done by a qualified person. You have to be qualified just to replace a standard GPO, these are no different.
    It could be done legally with extension leads and double adapters though, providing the first socket was done by a qualified person. If this type of thing was legal, what's to stop someone from getting their electrician to fill their meter box with GPOs and wiring their whole house up themselves, then just plugging in the circuits?? What could possibly go wrong??
    I'm a qualified Electrician and a qualified Mechanic, and I find it ridiculous that people can't wire up their own house in Australia but can do whatever work they like on their car, motorbike, truck, bus or whatever and take it on the roads where they can put so many "other" people at danger besides themselves. I've seen a lot more dangerous DIY vehicle repairs than DIY electrical jobs in my time working in both trades.
    Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey66 View Post
    If this type of thing was legal, what's to stop someone from getting their electrician to fill their meter box with GPOs and wiring their whole house up themselves, then just plugging in the circuits??
    We know that would be stupid but if the extension socket outlets are surface types rather than behind the wall terminated, then what part of the book would be thrown at them.

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    We know that would be stupid but if the extension socket outlets are surface types rather than behind the wall terminated, then what part of the book would be thrown at them.
    It's easier and quicker to state what an unqualified person can do, rather than state everything they can't. As far as lighting goes they can change lightbulbs and downlights that have plugs on them. They can't change light switches, light sockets or surface mount power outlets on low voltage circuits. They can work on extra low voltage (ELV) circuits though, things like pond pumps, ELV outdoor lighting etc. . I know it's stupid that Australia is about the only country that doesn't allow easy DIY electrical jobs, but there are still plenty of qualified and trained people dying every year in the electrical trade so it may be for a good reason.
    Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

But did nanny step in at some stage and pursue legislation that a person building an electrical appliance like an amplifier (a common thing) to suddenly be illegal. If so, I would like to see that. It was such a common thing to terminate LV transformers for such projects and I cannot see the difference and that of repairing a home appliance, or as in this instance the OP running a string of outlets terminated to a 3-pin plug. Just because insurance companies and electrical trades say it is illegal doesn't make it so unless specifically stated in legislation. Bros did provide this (https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/v...t/act-2002-042) in another thread but it was state legislation and vague on detail.

Not so sure about the people die reason as anything we do can be life threatening and RCD's are an effective protective device we never had before.

Apprentice (new member)

Not questioning the DIY legalities,

But whether a qualified electrician would be willing to connect a string of outlets (flat Olex cable) terminated to the 3-pin flexible plug (round)

Being an unusual request that possibly only exists with changing smart tech, I'm unsure if AS/NZS wiring standards would even have any directive or provisions for this specifically.

Willing is one thing, but more importantly is it legal/up to code for insurance purposes
    (common sense and legalities are another matter as some have mentioned)

Quote Originally Posted by bftuna View Post
    Not questioning the DIY legalities,

But whether a qualified electrician would be willing to connect a string of outlets (flat Olex cable) terminated to the 3-pin flexible plug (round)

Being an unusual request that possibly only exists with changing smart tech, I'm unsure if AS/NZS wiring standards would even have any directive or provisions for this specifically.

Willing is one thing, but more importantly is it legal/up to code for insurance purposes
    (common sense and legalities are another matter as some have mentioned)
    Not an electrician but pretty sure there are sections in the regulations that prohibit use of 3 core flexible cable in fixed wiring.
    Also believe there are regulations that prohibit use of plug in consumer devices as part of the fixed wiring.

With the evolution of smart tech there are systems that can be installed but they are designed and compliant for installation in the fixed wiring.

Happy to be corrected by any electrician or someone that knows the codes better than me.

Apprentice (new member)

If you don't require dimming this does the same as your daisy chain https://shop.meross.com/products/mer...ole-au-version

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    Not an electrician but pretty sure there are sections in the regulations that prohibit use of 3 core flexible cable in fixed wiring.
    Also believe there are regulations that prohibit use of plug in consumer devices as part of the fixed wiring.
    You're probably right, though wouldn't modern downlights & bathroom fans fall in the same 3 core flexible plug category?

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by sgraystar View Post
    If you don't require dimming this does the same as your daisy chain https://shop.meross.com/products/mer...ole-au-version
    That looks like a much better way of doing things.

The limitation being, currently, there's not enough switch variations to allow for fans + lights or 3 or 4 gang switch replacements

Then there's modularity where you can install/remove/relocate the in-series smart plug as required without much effort

Quote Originally Posted by bftuna View Post
    You're probably right, though wouldn't modern downlights & bathroom fans fall in the same 3 core flexible plug category?
    They plug into the outlet terminations on the fixed wiring, there is no continuation of fixed wiring from the light or fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey66 View Post
    If this type of thing was legal, what's to stop someone from getting their electrician to fill their meter box with GPOs and wiring their whole house up themselves, then just plugging in the circuits
    But I kinda, sorta, effectively did this when I renovated my house. I didn't know what electrical appliances I would need so I asked my electrician to put GPOs in the walls in convenient places, and then I wired up (well, plugged in) wall lamps, floor lamps, computers, heaters, etc. Same same but different.

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by davegol View Post
    But I kinda, sorta, effectively did this when I renovated my house. I didn't know what electrical appliances I would need so I asked my electrician to put GPOs in the walls in convenient places, and then I wired up (well, plugged in) wall lamps, floor lamps, computers, heaters, etc. Same same but different.
    I think what you did would be fine being GPO's on walls, as opposed to fixed Plug bases above the ceilings

Apprentice (new member)

Maybe venturing OT, but items like these are designed go go behind any off the shelf wallplate and provide WiFi controls. I have a few in a box waiting to get to the top of the to-do list.

https://www.ozsmartthings.com.au/col...ns/shelly-wifi

Similar form factor items for z-wave can be found on the same site (hub required), and then on and up to clipsal zigbee elsewhere.

Usual caveat applies, sparky required.