Hire the best Electrician

how long does it take to reconnect power after disconnection?

2K Club Member

Default how long does it take to reconnect power after disconnection?

moving house, jsut settled today and found out that the power is disconnected, was still on a couple days ago.
    how long does it take for them to reconnect after you call them? i wanna damn well move in this weekend.

ring them up and ask them

2K Club Member

some people say that but i have been screwed around by AGL before and they have given me dates and things have not happened so im wondering what other peoples experiences are with waits for this work to be done.
    and they arent open until tomorrow, long time away.

Its sort of a double ended question It really depends on AGL and how busy they are

How long has the place been vacant.
    In my area they never remove power (Pull fuses) unless there is a danger or if the place in vacant for a lengthy time
    (6 months I think)

Are you sure the main switch just hasn't been turned off

Also if the property has been vacant for a long time (Over 3 years I think it is)
    Around here they wont replace service fuses without a compliance certificate from a sparkie.
    IE the sparkie has to test and inspect and sign the certificate

Quote Originally Posted by nev25 View Post
    How long has the place been vacant.
    In my area they never remove power (Pull fuses) unless there is a danger or if the place in vacant for a lengthy time
    They did were I came from, especially when the power bill wasn't paid.

Here's a little story. When I was alot younger, I lived with a guy who would rather give the power bill money to the local pub than the power company.

Just about every month, he would ring me at my work (GEC) saying the powers been disconnected (again).
    The first time, I rocked up home from work (in the middle of winter), the power company had pulled the fuse in the cabinet out the front or the house and had left it in there. So I pushed it back in.

The power company got wind that we had power again (the landlady worked at the power company) and sent a bloke to investigate. He found the fuse back in the carrier of course, so he pulled it again and removed it from the site. I saw this and went back to work and got a fuse (SC63H Red dot for Nev ). It didn't quite fit, the spades on it were slightly larger so out came the tools and it was "adjusted to fit"

Once again the power company was on to us, this time they installed a locking mechanism on the cabinet, so I borrowed a genset till the flatmate paid the bill.

Working for GEC I knew all the power company sparkies and the foreman was a friend. He said he had the "sawn off" SC64 fuse carrier on his desk and that I had become a legend within the power companies workers.

Now for the disclaimer, I do not recommend anyone except trained personnel ever open an electrical service cabinet, and to this day I can not believe it was never locked.

Then there's the stories about the electrical practises on a job site in the Ukraine (like how an extension lead had melted snow a foot either side of it ), but that's for another time.

China

Nearly three years ago I had the same problem it took three days, only after I threatend to go to the meida

1K Club Member

Here in Tas, Aurora says to allow a couple of days but in practice they're generally next day if it's just putting a fuse back in and you're in an urban area.

Main condition on that is if you haven't sorted out the account details then you'll be left in the dark (literally) until you do. No account = no power which seems pretty reasonable to me.

2K Club Member

damn it sucks, i will find out in couple hours, all switches are on, looks like the fuse has just been removed and replaced with a blank or something, theres dust everywhere in there but the large fuse is clean.

China

What you are looking at is the fuse holder, they remove the fuse from the black plastic holder, if the fuse in in there it will be sealed with copper wire and a lead crimp

2K Club Member

all done, they just left an hour ago, as i was driving up the street they were backing out of the drive way. so power is back on.