Hire the best Electrician

I would like to learn more...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    M39
    Apprentice (new member)

Default I would like to learn more...

I have only a basic knowledge and would like to learn more about "home electrician"; safety, various additional connections, insertion of a new light point into an existing circuit and so on. Please help, refer a good book or a web site.

My research so far show many individual bits and pieces, books for students or things from other countries.

I would appreciate your suggestions.

You may not get what you are asking for as you might get someone killed and then blame anything gleaned here. You are not allowed by Australian law to practice in electrical work unlicensed. But I think New Zealand doesn't mind.

I have a good understanding of how to do basic electrical work and I understand some of the wiring rules. Despite that I use a licenced electrician as I realise that a good understanding doesn't make you competent and I have no wish to endanger the lives of family and trades nor compromise my building insurance. You should take something from that there is way to much dodgy handyman work as it is and while some of us may quite happily swap over a damaged power point or replace a standard light fitting we shouldn't be doing stuff outside our capacity, just because you can get something to work doesn't mean its right.

I was going to say surely a troll ... but also has a for sale ad. Welcome.

Gawd not this again

Accident free since yesterday

There may be some courses at TAFE. In NZ you can (or used to be able) to do your electrical serviceman's ticket A & B which would allow you to service appliances, do some limited work (like change plug tops) and do test tagging.

M39
    Apprentice (new member)

Thank you very much phild01 and johnc for a constructive answer.

This was my first post. I am not sure what the other two angry members trying to achieve?

I am looking forward to get some advice when I start renovation of my dwelling.

Quote Originally Posted by M39 View Post

Legally (and for good reason) you will need to get an electrician in to do anything, with the exception of changing light globes.

This was my first post. I am not sure what the other two angry members trying to achieve?

No, they weren't being angry with you. Don't let that bother you and ask your questions so you don't stray with what you are doing. It's all a learning curve.

M39
    Apprentice (new member)

Thanks Uncle Bob.

Who was being angry?

Bob said welcome and I was rolling my eyes at the topic a bit as these discussions all end the same.
    "It's illegal, don't DIY, get a sparky" etc.

Ask away, some people may help you but most will probably not, only to cover their own behind and not give electrical advice over the internet and possibly be indirectly responsible for a house fire or worse.

That's all

I fail to see the point of the electrical forum altogether. There is nothing good coming out of it besides circular debates that get everyone worked up.

As for the original post. Someone wanting to learn more about "home electrician"? What on earth is that? And wanting to learn this non existing activity on a renovation forum?
    Does your insurance company know that you want to practice a trade illegally on your own wiring?
    There is so much wrong about even asking this that it's not funny.
    And we are supposed to feel guilty for being "angry".

Hello! Anybody home?

Now lets see ... I would like to learn how to build a good suppressor for my Swedish Mauser. It makes too much noise and scares the pigs away. Any suggestions?
    “It is not necessary to accept everything as true, one must only accept it as necessary”
    Franz Kafka

Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I fail to see the point of the electrical forum altogether. There is nothing good coming out of it besides circular debates that get everyone worked up.?
    Couldn't agree more

Quote Originally Posted by PlatypusGardens View Post
    Gawd not this again

I fail to see the point of the electrical forum altogether. There is nothing good coming out of it besides circular debates that get everyone worked up.
    ?
    Quote Originally Posted by jimfish View Post
    Couldn't agree more

I dunno if that's true.
    There's still questions to be asked that don't involve DIY electrickery work.

Should people be prohibited from understanding things electrical. IMO no! Just shouldn't be encouraged to do such work.
    I would not want to buy a home that has DIY wiring. It is bad enough coming across occasional licensed wiring that has error.

Tru, yet no one reads the disclaimer at the top and everyone gets worked up if reminded. It happens a lot and new members get pissed off, hell even I get pissed off sometimes ... well not sometimes, a lot ... no not a lot ...
    hei what about my supressor, no suggestions? Never mind it's illegal, I will not tell anyone ..

PS
    Jokes aside, no one wants to understand wiring rules for academic purposes. if someone asks how to wire a powerpoint or a light, it's to do it themselves, that is a given, unless the occasional person who suspects the electrician has made a mistake and wants to check with the resident electricians. Very rare. We used to have very lively debates about 15 amp power points and why it has to be on its own when the wiring is the same size ... ah those were the days!

Ps, ps
    Electrickery work? you mean elektrikerish work
    “It is not necessary to accept everything as true, one must only accept it as necessary”
    Franz Kafka

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    I would not want to buy a home that has DIY wiring.
    How do you know unless you check every bit of wiring?

It is bad enough coming across occasional licensed wiring that has error.
    "occasional"

That's nice

hell even I get pissed off sometimes ...

Yep, it is a sensitive topic!

My view is that knowledge shouldn't be restricted. I don't understand why Australia has such restrictive wiring laws. I'm far from convinced that it is anything to do with safety. Statistics do not support the safety argument at all.
    There is no middle ground between facts and fallacies - argumentum ad temperantiam

I don't understand why suppressors are illegal. To me it has to do with preserving my hearing. So why can't I have one or build my own?
    Franz Kafka

1K Club Member

I would not want to buy a home that has DIY wiring. It is bad enough coming across occasional licensed wiring that has error.
    Back when I was an apprentice I remember being told by a teacher that in his experience 50% of homes had at least one serious flaw electrically, 25% had a minor non-compliance and 25% were up to scratch according to the rules applying when they were built (far fewer would meet current standards but that's not necessarily a problem).

Real life experience tells me that those figures aren't too far out. If the home has been previously occupied, that is it's not a new build, then the odds are substantial that there's at least something not right and the older it is the more likely that becomes.

Biggest warning for me with my own home was spotting the words "Red = +, Black = -" written on the brickwork in the garage. Needless to say I inspected the electrics thoroughly and found an assortment of obviously DIY things that needed attention. Worst ones = live cable hanging down under the house (not terminated) and Earth conductor used as an Active for the garage lights. House was only 12 years old but that's more than enough time for someone to do something dodgy.

Old Chippy 6K

Now lets see ... I would like to learn how to build a good suppressor for my Swedish Mauser. It makes too much noise and scares the pigs away. Any suggestions?
    Mauser is a German company not Swedish . . . In any case assuming you are licensed for the Mauser silencers are generally unable to be licensed in Australia. That being said and not wanting to encourage Marc the solution is a 2L drink bottle full of water- must be true I saw it in a movie . . . But - silencers only work on ammunition that travels under the speed of sound - most Mauser ammunition has a velocity of near to or more than twice the speed of sound . . .
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

I learnt from my father who learnt from his electrician father. I also did a couple of years of electrical engineering at unu. I'm not afraid of changing a power point or switching a light to a ceiling fan, or adding a longer cable to move a point. I do however know I have significant limitations in the electrickery area and call in the licensed sparky for most work.

I do do agree that 'starting out' asking on a forum is not the way to learn. This part of the forum has its place, but not for that.
    Measure twice, cut once, trim some off the end, trim some more. Too short. Rinse, Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    Back when I was an apprentice I remember being told by a teacher that in his experience 50% of homes had at least one serious flaw electrically, 25% had a minor non-compliance and 25% were up to scratch according to the rules applying when they were built (far fewer would meet current standards but that's not necessarily a problem).

Real life experience tells me that those figures aren't too far out. If the home has been previously occupied, that is it's not a new build, then the odds are substantial that there's at least something not right and the older it is the more likely that becomes.

Biggest warning for me with my own home was spotting the words "Red = +, Black = -" written on the brickwork in the garage. Needless to say I inspected the electrics thoroughly and found an assortment of obviously DIY things that needed attention. Worst ones = live cable hanging down under the house (not terminated) and Earth conductor used as an Active for the garage lights. House was only 12 years old but that's more than enough time for someone to do something dodgy.
    I want to know what is wrong with using green and yellow cable for neutral? It's bl@@dy neutral for electricity sake!

Ok ok , that was a dad's joke.

Mauser ... German, yes. However ... drum roll ... you have Argentinian Mauser, Swedish Mauser, Turkish Mauser, Chilean Mauser etc, etc, etc.

Swedish Mauser, made in Germany for a while then made in Sweden for another while (the war and all that) They did a very good job of it, between the quality of the build and the choice of ammo, 6.5x55, so much so that it is one of the best ex military rifles you can own. Shoots very flat with minimum recoil and used in Europe to hunt for deer and pigs no problems. The long barrel version also known as M41 has 29" barrel and shoots dead straight to 1500m
    I shoot that one over a 308 any day.
    The only rifle I like better is the Swiss 7.5x55 straight pull K31. I had one inherited from my grandfather and lost it when I moved here. Oh well, you win some you lose some. I suppose I could buy myself another one here.
    Now about that suppressor ...
    Only joking, they are illegal and for good reasons.
    Franz Kafka

Quote Originally Posted by Spottiswoode View Post
    I'm not afraid of changing a power point or switching a light to a ceiling fan, or adding a longer cable to move a point.
    I do however know I have significant limitations in the electrickery area and call in the licensed sparky for most work.

Not sure if I was an angry member? Anyway, after being here a while you get the idea how such threads are going to go... and it seems to have gone as expected whilst I was away.

I did say welcome. Perhaps an introduction on yourself and planned projects would be helpful.

Enjoy.

You'll find that Australia is the nanny state when it comes to electrical work; this position basically evolved under pressure from the electrical unions around the late 1940's onwards, and I've never seen any valid information (ie safety based) supporting the position.

As a rule of thumb, in (most) states of Australia, you are allowed to DIY change a lightbulb if no tools are required to change it. In Queensland, you might be ok thinking about changing a lightbulb.

And that's it. No other work on fixed wiring is allowed in Australia.

However, in New Zealand - which shares the exact same electrical standards (AS/NZS 3000) as us - they've allowed home owners to do their own electrical work (up to the meter box) since the mid 2000's and they provide a range of DIY material to support this.

Here is the introduction to the topic from the New Zealand Worksafe site:

What are the main electrical repairs you can do yourself at your home?

For a full list of the electrical repairs you can do on your home, please refer to Regulation 64 of the Electricity Safety Regulations 2010.
    The work you can do includes:

• Replacing switches; socket outlets, lamp holders, ceiling roses, water heater switches, thermostats and elements.
    • Repairing light fittings.
    • Moving, repairing or replacing flexible cords that are permanently connected to outlets or ceiling roses.
    • Disconnecting and reconnecting permanently wired appliances.
    • Moving switches, sockets and lighting outlets, but only if they are wired with tough plastic-sheathed cables.
    • Installing, extending, or altering any cables, except the main cables that come from the street to your switchboard.
    • Fitting plugs, cord extension sockets or appliance connectors to a flexible cord.
    • Replacing fuse wires and fuse cartridges.

Doing your own wiring

When doing work on wiring in your home, you must:

• Make sure that the power is switched off before you start.
    • Ensure that you do not work in any enclosure where conductors or terminals are live or could become live.
    • Ensure that if you install, extend or alter cables, you do not connect your work to the electricity supply yourself. The finished job must be checked and tested by a licensed electrical inspector. If it complies with safety requirements, the inspector will connect it, test it, and issue you with a Certificate of Compliance.
    • Never do any work on a switchboard apart from replacing fuse wire or fuse cartridges.

Here's the New Zealand code of practice for homeowners undertaking their own electrical wiring, which should give you a good idea of what is involved:

New Zealand Electrical Code of Practice for homeowner/occupier's electrical wiring work in domestic installations | Energy Safety

And here's some other useful, Australian relevant information. Such a pity that Australians can't undertake their own electrical work:

http://www.talkingelectronics.com/pr...an/Wiring.html
    https://www.dlsweb.rmit.edu.au/toolb...termediate.htm

One of the main trade resource books is Electrical Wiring Practice, a two volume set by Keith Pethebridge and Ian Neeson - you should be able to get these on inter-library loan easily enough
    DIY electrical house wiring details suitable for Australia - http://goo.gl/9d33T (PDF file)

My friend, we can all agree with you, and we probably do, however since despite being so close to the parliament you don't work in it, (and it may well be our loss) ... the law is what it is.
    Wrong? perhaps.
    I think that capital gain stinks, it is state fraud and plain stealing. I think that our personal income tax stinks to high heavens and back, and I don't want to bore you with a litany of other laws I disagree with passionately, yet, I pay tax, I pay the damn capital gain tax and all the rest.
    And I call the electrician when I need an extra powerpoint even when I worked as an electrician eons ago and can wire a house and a switch board blindfolded.
    If this ever changes, I will be the first that will have fun doing electrical work once more. In fact I am planing to build my own remote controlled boat ramp winch and unless the legislation changes in time, I will call the electrician to do the hook up.
    Franz Kafka

My only concern wit DIY is that someone doing it may not understand a standard to be followed. The other fear I have is that someone creates a fire hazard by not stripping the wires properly, or they might have used 'Infinity' branded cable. Other than that I agree with NZ, wish that country was further north and I would flee there.

My only concern wit DIY is that someone doing it may not understand a standard to be followed. The other fear I have is that someone creates a fire hazard by not stripping the wires properly, or they might have used 'Infinity' branded cable.

Not sure if you're implying that only DIYers used the Infinity cables......?

A lot of licensed sparkies used it too.
    And why wouldn't they?

Cheap to buy, still charge the customer full price, win win.

Not sure if you're implying that only DIYers used the Infinity cables......?

A lot of licensed sparkies used it too.
    And why wouldn't they?

Cheap to buy, still charge the customer full price, win win.

Maybe, but I find they generally buy from the electrical wholesalers and with better pricing. Not sure why they would go to Masters etc and pay more. It would surprise me if it was cheaper.

Pretty sure it was cheaper

Pretty sure it was cheaper
    Really sure

Well if it wasn't, why would so many entire houses have been wired with it?

I know first hand of people who bought pallets of the stuff and they were licensed sparkies carrying out licensed electrical work.
    And they bought what they thought was stuff that complied with the standards.

Times are tough, cheaper product available, people use it.
    not rocket science.

Look up how much of the stuff that was sold.
    A lot more than your average DIYer would buy to hang a light in the spare room

Not denying they used it, just wondering if it was cheaper. What Masters sell at the moment doesn't seem any cheaper. Maybe those guys used it because it was convenient on the day... who knows!

What was wrong with that cable again?
    Franz Kafka

the insulation deteriorated

Infinity cable recall: act now before it's too late | ACCC

The insulation? Is that all?
    Franz Kafka

The insulation? Is that all?

"Is that all?"

If the insulation which separates the different strands - Live, Neutral, Earth - deteriorates.....that's pretty serious, no?

Nee ...
    Reminds me when I was after a new 4wd and noticed the Disco was on the cheap side. i was in Jindabyne and stopped at a mechanic that serviced mostly 4wd. He had a discovery there and so I ventured a bit of a chat about it.
    Yes, he said, they are good! Only a few problems with them but in general good ... I noticed a bit of sarcasm in the voice so asked further ... so what are this problems?
    Oh, he said, nothing serious really. a few things here and there, like ... the diff ... the transmission, ... the motor ... the transfer case ... besides that, they are good!
    Franz Kafka

Did we figure out what a "home electrician" is yet?

No... Seem to keep drifting off track.

Quote Originally Posted by OBBob View Post
    No... Seem to keep drifting off track.
    Aaah well a bit of banter never hurt.

Keeps the threads going....

I used to teach the subject electricity in a what we would call here a "demonstration" school. Eletrical work was not tabu work and so the aim was to arm the students with enough information and practical knowledge to do some home electrical work.
    We covered, wiring a switch, a powerpoint, a light, we built and wired bed side lamps, fixed fuses, and stuff like that.
    We also managed to blow the school fuses every second time despite the fact that we were using a sub board for the class wired with a safety switch.

It was fun, so I can say that I used to teach ... home electricity ... ha ha.
    Can you imagine doing this in a school in Australia today? Hu hu
    Franz Kafka

Yes, I can see you as a teacher.

Golden Member

Maybe, but I find they generally buy from the electrical wholesalers and with better pricing. Not sure why they would go to Masters etc and pay more. It would surprise me if it was cheaper.

I myself never used the cable from masters, but when we became their i guess you could say subbie, or contractor, for a/c installations they gave us a company price guide for what we would pay for various items from them from the hardware/electrical sections. cable was much cheaper than than the cabling i would purchase through cetnaj etc. But its name was tarnished

I have only a basic knowledge and would like to learn more about "home electrician"; safety, various additional connections, insertion of a new light point into an existing circuit and so on. Please help, refer a good book or a web site.

My research so far show many individual bits and pieces, books for students or things from other countries.

I would appreciate your suggestions.
    Google and You Tube are your friends
    there is tons on there of this kind of information
    But remember in Australia DIY electrical work is NOT permitted
    Not even simple things like changing a cracked/broken switch/ power point.
    Be carefull !

Did we figure out what a "home electrician" is yet?
    Does minor electrical repairs only in his own home

Not that it matters, cause it's still not allowed !

Quote Originally Posted by dmxtothemax View Post

remember in Australia DIY electrical work is NOT permitted
    Not even simple things like changing a cracked/broken switch/ power point.
    Be carefull !
    Quote Originally Posted by dmxtothemax View Post
    Does minor electrical repairs only in his own home

Not that it matters, cause it's still not allowed !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast