Hire the best Electrician

Inverter Generators

1K Club Member

Default Inverter Generators

Does anyone have experience using a Honda (or similar) inverter type generator?

These are the up-market petrol driven generator units and are around $2000 for a 2 KVA unit and are not the cheaper more common type of portable generators.

I don't need particularly high quality power, I'm only running power tools, but the light weight of this model is a huge advantage and I'm prepared to pay the extra cost for that.

However, I have one very big question. How well do they cope with the start up current drawn by motors? Whereas a standard generator will tolerate some overload on appliance start up (it's not good for them, but they tolerate it), I'm not so sure about these since I've never used one.

Yes, I know I could get a bigger one but I really am keen on keeping the weight down since this is going to be moved about a lot, preferably by one person. 21kg for the 2 KVA model and it's even got a carry handle - great but will it cope with the start up current of my 1.8 KVA grinder in the same way a standard petrol generator does cope with that (and I've been using the same one (2 KVA rated) for a decade without killing it yet, it's just too heavy).

Ive used one quite a bit. They are very good. They are light, the power is stable and they are good on juice. And the bonus they are quiet. I give them two thumbs up..
    It will cope with your 1800W grinder no worries, probably better than your conventional generator will. I've used mine to run small powertools (600W drill), big power tools, (2000W grinder and 2400W heatgun) and it also runs a 1 1/2 horse aircon no problems. I mention the aircon because the inrush at start up of that is heaps more than the inrush of a big grinder.

Are they still making them? I had a Honda 2000 that produced both 240v AC and 12v DC back in the seventies in PNG where the electricity supply was not always renowned for its reliability.

Standard practice was that when the power went off, one plugged the generator into a powerpoint and the generator powered all appliances on that circuit - fridge, DUX hot water, standard lamps, 2,000 watt window air-con, etc. It coped with the start up load of the aircon fine just changing revs as the load increased and decreased. When the mains electricity came back on it just went back to idle speed. Time to switch it off.

Probably breached a few rules, but it worked and was in common use.

Cheers

Graeme

I bought a Kipor inverter genset (2.6Kw) for $1490 which included delivery to W.A. from Kulkyne Kampers in Victoria. It is a Honda copy apparently. Had it for a few months now & it performs really well. I got it to run our bore pump in case of bush fires and it starts it without any fuss. Great unit for the price. If you get a Kipor, make sure it is the Blue one, as there are other earlier ones with not a good reputation.

who
    Apprentice (new member)

The other thing these Honda's can do is be linked by a specific cable to another one of the same model - so you can have a 4000watt twin genny setup - they can sync their power output.

Available on the EU series I believe. I know a carpenter who often uses an EU10i on site, and he recently bought another to link when he needed a bit more power, rather than a big old diesel genny that used to get him noise complaints.....

You may like to see this thread;

https://www.renovateforum.com/f195/inverter-power-supply-58361/

In the above thread, please note the following amendment;

2] Generators naturally produce a "True Sine Wave", so you may consider keeping your genset & not buying an inverter.

It should say;

2] Standby Generators naturally produce a "True Sine Wave", so you may consider keeping your genset & not buying an inverter. Portable Generators may not produce a good quality sinewave.

1K Club Member

I got it today (had to wait for it to arrive at the store) and it's great. Runs the big grinder that I was worried about with no problems just as a non-inverter generator would. But it's half the weight and a lot quieter so it's all good so far.