Hire the best Electrician

LED batten plug to batten holder conversion

Default LED batten plug to batten holder conversion

I have bought several plug-n-play LED battens that comes with the normal 2-prong light plug as shown below:

I was wondering if there's a way to convert it to a B22/bayonet-style plug like the one below:

So I can just connect the new lights on the existing B22/bayonet holder so that I can control it via the switch on the wall?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails plugs-800_1.jpg   6314b.jpg  

Sure, well the adapter you posted has screw terminals inside it? You could make a male bayonet to female 3 prong mains plug, with a few caveats. Since the bayonet fitting is non-polarised, the line and neutral wires can get swapped, and there's no earth connection. It won't matter to the device you listed, but the adapter shouldn't be used for anything else where polarisation matters or an earth is needed.

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by jarod View Post
    I have bought several plug-n-play LED battens that comes with the normal 2-prong light plug as shown below:

I was wondering if there's a way to convert it to a B22/bayonet-style plug,

So I can just connect the new lights on the existing B22/bayonet holder so that I can control it via the switch on the wall?
    Cut off the existing plug and connect the Bayonet Adapter Plug, which you have illustrated.

Otherwise, make up a "lead" with a Bayonet Adapter Plug on one end and a "normal" Australian three pin socket on the other (using only the Active and Neutral conductors) between them.
    (The latter is basically that which Jonno80 wrote, but he added a few necessary caveats.)

Thanks @Jonno80 and @FrodoOne!

I guess it will be just easier and safer for me to "...Cut off the existing plug and connect the Bayonet Adapter Plug...".

So just to confirm, I won't have issues with these these LED battens regardless which way I plug the B22/bayonet-style plug to the batten holder?

Community Moderator

With all the mucking around why not go and buy BC LED globes, that's what I did.

Hi Bros, I already have my LED battens in daisy chain which is connected to the power outlet and all working. I was just toying on the idea of connecting it to the existing batten holder so I can control it via the wall switch.

I see now, they use a standard removable plug rather than the lead being molded into the unit. In that case I'd just cut the lead and fit the bayonet adapter. Polarity wont matter for these lights.

Get a sparky to switch the bayonet to a plug socket? 5min job. (I won’t suggest DIY because that’s not the right thing to do)
    Measure twice, cut once, trim some off the end, trim some more. Too short. Rinse, Repeat.

Thanks Jonno80.

Hi Spottiswoode, that's also one idea but just wanted to keep it easy for now just in case I need a bayonet option again. Thanks!

1K Club Member

What a pity that Jonno80 does not reside in New Zealand!

He could then look-up the New Zealand "OWNER/OCCUPIERS ELECTRICAL WIRING WORK IN DOMESTIC INSTALLATIONS" to see that which he could do in a country which operates with the same "Standards" as Australia but is not so constrained by "restrictions", imposed - for the possible "benefit" of certain "organisations".

Of course, while in New Zealand an "Owner/Occupier" is allowed to do certain things, it is then required that these "things" be "Inspected", if installed in any premises - as is also required in North America and, for some things, in the UK.

In Australia, an "Owner/Occupier is not allowed to do many things, but it seems that such things MAY be being done, since it is illegal to restrict access to the materials required to carry out such modifications!

Hence, Australia may be operating under the worst of all possible scenarios, where "Owner/Occupier" electrical installations are being carried out (like it or not) but without any possible "official" supervision!

Quote Originally Posted by FrodoOne View Post
    What a pity that Jonno80 does not reside in New Zealand!

He could then look-up the New Zealand "OWNER/OCCUPIERS ELECTRICAL WIRING WORK IN DOMESTIC INSTALLATIONS" to see that which he could do in a country which operates with the same "Standards" as Australia but is not so constrained by "restrictions", imposed - for the possible "benefit" of certain "organisations".

Of course, while in New Zealand an "Owner/Occupier" is allowed to do certain things, it is then required that these "things" be "Inspected", if installed in any premises - as is also required in North America and, for some things, in the UK.

In Australia, an "Owner/Occupier is not allowed to do many things, but it seems that such things MAY be being done, since it is illegal to restrict access to the materials required to carry out such modifications!

Hence, Australia may be operating under the worst of all possible scenarios, where "Owner/Occupier" electrical installations are being carried out (like it or not) but without any possible "official" supervision!
    Yeah but you have to read and write to be a sparky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by3HklSPpp4
    “What a fool believes, he sees. No wise man has the power to reason away”- The Doobie Brothers

4K Club Member

A B22 plug to an AS/NZS 3112 socket would not be 'legal', but no problems with cutting off the AS/NZS 3112 plug and replacing it with a B22 plug unless an earth is required.
    Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it necessary, it is true, does it improve on the silence? - Baba

4K Club Member

I can remember when you used to be able to buy power cords that plugged into light sockets. My grandma had some she used for ironing as here house only had 5 power points in the whole house but each room had a light fitting in the centre of the room. Used for her electric iron and may have been used for other things too.
    They did things differently in the past.
    Piece of cake to wire up if you were that way inclined.
    "A big boy did it and ran away"

Legal disclaimer denying responsibility to be inserted here.

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
    I can remember when you used to be able to buy power cords that plugged into light sockets. My grandma had some she used for ironing as here house only had 5 power points in the whole house but each room had a light fitting in the centre of the room. Used for her electric iron and may have been used for other things too.
    They did things differently in the past.
    Piece of cake to wire up if you were that way inclined.
    And you could also buy double adapters for light sockets as well

Tools