Hire the best Electrician

Plug getting hot

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Plug getting hot

The plug for the box aircon I have in the shed (and am flogging to the max at the moment) gets ridiculously hot I just noticed....

What's going on there?

Accident free since yesterday

7K Club Member

Is it supposed to use a 15amp socket?

No

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by PlatypusGardens View Post
    The plug for the box aircon I have in the shed (and am flogging to the max at the moment) gets ridiculously hot I just noticed....

What's going on there?

If a plug is getting hot it indicates "excessive" resistance where the spring metal in the socket contacts the solid metal of one or both "pins" of the plug. (Either that or a loose screw connection within the plug.)
    If the spring metal of the socket gets hot it is likely to weaken the spring tension and the situation will get worse.

Check any screw connection within the plug but, if the heating is as "ridiculous" as you say, I strongly suggest that you have the socket replaced - and it would probably be a good idea to replace the plug as well.

Yeh....it's a sealed plug so can't get in to it.....

Will try it with a different socket.

I've used it a fair bit in the past but today was the first time I noticed it getting hot.

It was over 40degrees in the shed though and I was cranking it hard.

1K Club Member

Yeh....it's a sealed plug so can't get in to it.....

Will try it with a different socket.
    Over 20 years ago I remember that there was a "recall" on certain molded plugs on some leads due to poor electrical connections within the plug causing just this problem.
    I cannot now remember the brand, and it is unlikely that a molded plug would have excessive internal resistance, but it is NOT impossible.

Also, if the plug has been heated it may have suffered damage.
    Does the plastic in which the pins are embedded appear to have been affected by the heating?

Only 40 PG ? Soft mate, soft.

Quote Originally Posted by ringtail View Post
    Only 40 PG ? Soft mate, soft.

Yep

weak as p-ss.

And I'm fine with that.

Not a good day to be working that's for sure. Heard sparkys on the radio earlier. So hot in roof space gloves needed to touch the trusses, iphones shutting down, 10 mins max before bailing out of the roof

Yeh bugger being a sparky or plumber!

Or aircon installer for that matter.

Community Moderator

Get an electrician.

No electricians in Mackay, they have all gone fishing.

I had this happening to me with a powerpoint for the dishwasher and I found it full with sugar ants. Something about the current attracts them and then they die and more come and die until the contacts are worthless.
    Or ...
    your window aircon is on the way out ... or ... there may be a problem with your wiring so changing the plug and the powerpoint will not fix it ...
    I think you need to call a sparky mate.
    “It is not necessary to accept everything as true, one must only accept it as necessary”
    Franz Kafka

Quote Originally Posted by Bros View Post
    Get an electrician.

Well, it's never done it before (I was running it yesterday)
    Using the same socket
    Nothing's changed.

I asked here because maybe there would be something simple I could try first.
    Or something like it's working overtime because it's so hot and I had it on 18 degrees and full fan.

Anyway will try it with in the 15A socket tomorrow and see how that goes.

Nothing strange here

The socket is a cut 10A extension lead wired in to the box in the shed.
    Never had any problems with it before.

Use that lead all the time for grinders etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg  

Those stock lead are 1.5mm if you are lucky. I wouldn't run an aircon full blast on it the best of days.
    If you can plug it in a different powerpoint, and still heats up, then it is the lead, but you need to reproduce the same conditions, heat, full blast etc.
    “It is not necessary to accept everything as true, one must only accept it as necessary”
    Franz Kafka

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Those stock lead are 1.5mm if you are lucky. I wouldn't run an aircon full blast on it the best of days.
    If you can plug it in a different powerpoint, and still heats up, then it is the lead, but you need to reproduce the same conditions, heat, full blast etc.

Sooooooo....replace the lead going in to the aircon and run it off a 15A socket?

Community Moderator

In the past if a plug to got hot there was a serious problem, now with cutting corners in manufacturing this cannot be relied on. Plugging it into a 15 A outlet will only prove weather the plug top is faulty as the internals in a 15 A GPO is the same as a 10 A one.
    Tomorrow you could try running it for an hour flat out and pull the plug out and feel the pins for heat and see if one is hotter than the other as they should be the same temp. If one is hotter than the other there is a loose connection in the plug top.
    Let us know the result and your friendly forum electricians and others will give you a tele medicine consultation and reccommend some medicine.

If you do that you are changing 2 variables and will never know what was wrong with it. Change one at the time. Plug in a different powerpoint first, if nothing happens, you need to check the powerpoint or the wiring of the shed. if still gets hot in the other socket, then change the lead with more generous wire size. if nothing helps, take your aircon to the scrap yard and change it for a bath

PS
    HA ha google doctor never fails ... until it does
    Franz Kafka

Was the lead hot as well PG or just the plug ?

The cooler change is coming too. Hopefully an end to the ball swelling heat

Community Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ringtail View Post
    The cooler change is coming too. Hopefully an end to the ball swelling heat
    Be a couple of days before it gets up our way and a couple more before it gets to PG.

So typical of you Bros.

first you say

Get an electrician.

Followed by

In the past if a plug to got hot there was a serious problem, now with cutting corners in manufacturing this cannot be relied on. Plugging it into a 15 A outlet will only prove weather the plug top is faulty as the internals in a 15 A GPO is the same as a 10 A one.
    Tomorrow you could try running it for an hour flat out and pull the plug out and feel the pins for heat and see if one is hotter than the other as they should be the same temp. If one is hotter than the other there is a loose connection in the plug top.
    Let us know the result and your friendly forum electricians and others will give you a tele medicine consultation and reccommend some medicine.

You KNOW I'm not gonna get some random bloke come around and charge me $90/h plus a "call-out-fee" (don't get me started on that) to look at a $50 second hand aircon with a plug getting hot in my shed....which was mostly wired up by a licensed(-ish) electrician over a couple of beers.

Just spill the beans straight away and everything is a lot easier.
    I'm not gonna sue anyone on this forum for telling me to do something "I shouldn't" as I'm "not qualified".
    Just trying to narrow it down to being faulty supply, connections, appliance or due to the heat (which has been in the extreme zone the past few days) and if I can do something about it.

The more info, the easier it is to troubleshoot and I might even learn something along the way.

Not interested in fingerwagging and handwringing.
    I'm gonna do it anyway. (Whatever "it" may be)
    I always have and always will.

Another thing you can do is sand the pins for better connection ... neee just pulling your leg
    Franz Kafka

Another thing you can do is sand the pins for better connection ... neee just pulling your leg
    is that along the lines of jumping on the fuel bowser hose to get free fuel and wearing pantyhose on your head to make a black n white TV appear as a colour TV?

because I tried both of them and neither worked....

I got arrested trying the first one and almost suffocated trying the second one

Well ... may be not that far out, but those pins look clean. I you have a serious short and the pins are fused and black, then a bit of sanding would certainly help if you are in the bush and the nearest supplier is 4 hours away. Been there done that.
    Panyhose on the head ... mm ... should try that. only problem is finding a black and white tv ... what colour pantyhose?
    Franz Kafka

Panyhose on the head ... mm ... should try that.

Could be the next Friday thread

Post a pic of yourself wearing pantyhose on your head

Meh,
    not like anyone would.......except me

After a second look at your pins, the live pin looks a bit off.
    Franz Kafka

Community Moderator

So typical of you Bros.

first you say

Followed by

You KNOW I'm not gonna get some random bloke come around and charge me $90/h plus a "call-out-fee" (don't get me started on that) to look at a $50 second hand aircon with a plug getting hot in my shed....which was mostly wired up by a licensed(-ish) electrician over a couple of beers.

I'm not gonna sue anyone on this forum for telling me to do something "I shouldn't" as I'm "not qualified".
    Just trying to narrow it down to being faulty supply, connections, appliance or due to the heat (which has been in the extreme zone the past few days) and if I can do something about it.

The more info, the easier it is to troubleshoot and I might even learn something along the way.

I took pity on you, cant have you dilutes into secret squirrel stuff.

So typical of you Bros.

first you say

Followed by

I thought Bros was actually helping you.
    Feel the pins for heat.

Don't run it on an extension cord, if only the plug gets hot when direct connected to a power point then suspect the internal pin connectivity to the power lead. You can then cut the moulded one off and wire up a new 3 pin plug. A 15A power outlet is really not doing anything different to the regular 10A outlet, assuming they are good outlets.

Since you mentioned sorta-ish sparky, I would check that you have adequate cable size supplying the shed and then check for voltage drop at the socket, just to cover all bases.

But I'd be tempted to point my finger at that dinky little lead, as some of the plugs these days aren't worth the fake certifications they print on the box!
    DIY electrical house wiring details suitable for Australia - http://goo.gl/9d33T (PDF file)

After a second look at your pins, the live pin looks a bit off.
    You mean the Line pin. Both the L and N annotated “pins” are live.
    L= Line
    N=Neutral.
    “What a fool believes, he sees. No wise man has the power to reason away”- The Doobie Brothers

Ohyouhadtosaythatdidn'tyou ... Live pin because it connects to the live wire that so happens to be the line also known as the other one that is not dead or neutral. comeoooooon

For PG only.
    How to know which one is (or should be)the LIVE wire in a powerpoint and you don't have a test pen that goes buzzzz.
    Stand in front of the powerpoint and look square at it.
    Do not blink.
    Pretend the two top holes are hands and you want to shake his right hand with ... well your right hand.
    That is the LIVE wire. (so don't shake his hand)
    Easy see?
    Now for the plug there is another mnemonic but I have forgotten it.
    Franz Kafka

1K Club Member

First thing I'd do is give the pins a thorough cleaning to remove tarnish and whatever else may be on them.

See if that fixes the problem before trying anything else.

Hei I said that first ...
    Franz Kafka

The Master's Apprentice Bedford's Avatar

I asked here because maybe there would be something simple I could try first.
    Yep, attach some ducting to the outlet (cool side) of the airco and direct it onto the plug top and power point.

As long as the airco runs it will keep cool.
    Posted by John2b, And no, BEVs are not going to save the planet, which doesn't need saving anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Bedford View Post
    attach some ducting to the outlet.
    Well funnily enough...that's what I was mucking around with at the time....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg  

As Random mentioned, check for voltage drop too. The lower the voltage sags the higher the current will be.

7K Club Member

How to know which one is (or should be)the LIVE wire in a powerpoint and you don't have a test pen that goes buzzzz.
    Stand in front of the powerpoint and look square at it.
    Do not blink.
    Pretend the two top holes are hands and you want to shake his right hand with ... well your right hand.
    That is the LIVE wire. (so don't shake his hand)
    Easy see?
    Now for the plug there is another mnemonic but I have forgotten it.
    If those holes are hands, I'm definitely not shaking the bottom one.

Well funnily enough...that's what I was mucking around with at the time....
    That is a terrible idea ... it's like you broke a spring and your car is leaning on one side so you fit bigger wheels to level it ...
    Franz Kafka

That is a terrible idea ... it's like you broke a spring and your car is leaning on one side so you fit bigger wheels to level it ...

What?

Was just helping the cold air along a bit....to the work bench.
    It actually works really well, but the ducting is a bit.....big and in the way

I was thinking of using that drum fan and lead the air through a couple of 50mm pipes along the rafters

I hope you don't think in cooling it with a water drip ...
    Franz Kafka

What?

Was just helping the cold air along a bit....to the work bench.
    Bedford suggested cooling the plug and you indicated is what you wer trying to do. Think Marc was stating the obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    Bedford suggested cooling the plug and you indicated is what you wer trying to do. Think Marc was stating the obvious.

???

I wasn't trying to cool the plug, I was trying to cool myself.

Sorry, I don't get the spring/wheel reference...too hot to think at the moment

???

I wasn't trying to cool the plug, I was trying to cool myself.

Sorry, I don't get the spring/wheel reference...too hot to think at the moment

PG, you just gotta read the sequence of comments again, and I'm sure it will make sense

*sigh*

Just spell it out for me.
    Can't be bothered with innuendos right now

Community Moderator

innuendos right now

An Italian Suppository, what next.

It's ok PG, I don't get it either. Maybe the heat has mushed our noggins

Look, Bedford suggested at #34 using duct to cool the plug and PG responded to Bedford at#35 that was what he was up to. At #38 Marc said that was a terrible idea and used an apt analogy of why that was so. You see, it's not a good idea to cool the hot plug as a solution...it's like using a bigger tyre to solve broken suspension arghhh!

7K Club Member

...but if you have bigger wheels lying around...

(sorry)

It goes like this:
    Plug gets very hot.

Solutions:
    Change the plug for a bigger one, 32 amp would do just fine.
    Change the cord for a bigger one, 6mm just about right.
    Rewire the shed.
    Change the power point and kill the ants inside it, not necessarily in that order.
    Refrigerate the plug by ducting some of the air and pointing it to the offending plug.
    Silicone the plug to the power point to make it waterproof and direct a drip of water on top of the plug for said refrigeration purposes. Place a flowerpot (with a flower in) it to recover the warm water.
    Attach larger diameter wheel on the side of the broken suspension bring the car back to level ... oops no that is another problem. Disregard ...
    Grab large hammer (5k) and apply a series of measured blows to offending aircon then replace.
    Franz Kafka

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    Look, Bedford suggested at #34 using duct to cool the plug and PG responded to Bedford at#35 that was what he was up to. At #38 Marc said that was a terrible idea and used an apt analogy of why that was so. You see, it's not a good idea to cool the hot plug as a solution...it's like using a bigger tyre to solve broken suspension arghhh!

Stop that, Phil you'll get a headache.

If you read the posts again you'll notice that I only quoted PART of Bedford's post, the part relating to ducting.

The pics in the same post would indicate that I wasn't at all trying to cool the plug.
    Nor did I say that I was.

It goes like this:
    Plug gets very hot.

Solutions:
    Change the plug for a bigger one, 32 amp would do just fine.
    Change the cord for a bigger one, 6mm just about right.
    Rewire the shed.
    Change the power point and kill the ants inside it, not necessarily in that order.
    Refrigerate the plug by ducting some of the air and pointing it to the offending plug.
    Silicone the plug to the power point to make it waterproof and direct a drip of water on top of the plug for said refrigeration purposes. Place a flowerpot (with a flower in) it to recover the warm water.
    Attach larger diameter wheel on the side of the broken suspension bring the car back to level ... oops no that is another problem. Disregard ...
    Grab large hammer (5k) and apply a series of measured blows to offending aircon then replace.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast