Hire the best Electrician

remote switch for shed light - how?

Default remote switch for shed light - how?

The shed is about to have a revamp with everything (read all the junk) being shifted around to new locations. This will mean the switch for the lights will no longer be accessible.
    Short of getting an electrician in to run new wiring etc etc, is there a way some device may be added to the light socket and a (wireless?) switch be placed in a convenient place?. All light have bayonet sockets, none are hard wired.

Community Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bookleaf View Post
    All light have bayonet sockets, none are hard wired.
    I don't understand that statement?

The lights are in individual bayonet socket (normal globes). They are not like fluros, hard up against the ceiling and hard wired into electrical wiring system.

3K Club Member

This took only a few seconds to search
    Don't know if it helps but your statement the lights are not hard wired tells me sumting not wight so you will still need an electrician.
    https://www.bing.com/search?form=GEO...Tw=1&isAutoP=1

7K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by r3nov8or View Post
    How reliable are these things now.When they first appeared I bought an Arlec 3 pack and they all failed in short time. Those weren't wifi though which I would find annoying.

7K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    How reliable are these things now.When they first appeared I bought an Arlec 3 pack and they all failed in short time. Those weren't wifi though which I would find annoying.
    *shrugs*

OP wants a bayonet socket version too. Haven't found that yet

7K Club Member

...and paired with this
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/33444561...frcectupt=true
    The "B22 to AU/NZ" version

Community Moderator

...and paired with this
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/33444561...frcectupt=true
    The "B22 to AU/NZ" version
    Cowboy!

7K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bros View Post
    Cowboy!
    2/3 a cowboy. He'll also need a bayonet plug to AU 3 pin

Hmmm. Thanks for the replies. Seems you all are coming up against the same blank wall as my search ran into.
    There is no WIFI in the shed so Hey Google or Alexia type devices are not suitable.
    I was hoping to find some sort of wireless device that was designed to plug into the existing bayonet socket at one end and had inbuilt wireless and a bayonet socket at the other end to plug the globe back into. It would then work with a wireless wall switch - sort of like a no-wire door bell or a ceiling fan type setup.. I found several refences to Edison Screw devices like this but I think they are WIFI so not suitable.
    I have found something that seemed to be suitable, being a device with wires on it on one and and a separate remote battery operated wireless switch. But this needs wiring in etc etc by an electrician too.
    I was hoping to find a Plug & Play solution, but it seems it a wish too far.

Guess I'll call in the electrician to shift the current wall switch.

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    I am running various smart components here, from E27 globes "Yeelight" brand, these have been faultless for many years, I had various other brands prior, and they mostly failed.
    Also have many smart plugin switches of various brands, I have a few Arlec GRID ones, they have been running for about 3 years no problems, controlling bedside lights, electric blanket, remote PC'S

LED Strips controlled by 12V Magic Home modules, again these have been faultless.

All of this is accessible via the Google Home speaker, so if heading to bed, about 10 minutes before going, you can say turn the blanket on, Google will switch it on to it's pre programmed heat setting, this blanket takes about 10 minutes and the bed is warm.

When you get into bed, you tell her to turn the blanket off, then tell her to turn off all the lights in the house that are smart controlled and everything goes off, I haven't switched off the lights in the house at bedtime manually for years.

If you get really lazy, you can even set up a routine and just tell her one command, this command could automatically turn off the electric blanket, turn off all the lights, turn on sleeping music and as many other things you want to do with one command.

An option for the OP is the just plug in smart globes to the bayonet sockets, and tell the smart device to turn them on as you are walking to the shed.

Other option is to use a simple wireless controller / plug in receivers, and put various plug in lights on these, this way no Wifi or smart devices are needed.
    I used to run things this way before smart devices, you just put the remote at the door and press it when entering.

Was using the Arlec ones sold at Bunnings, had no issues with them, I still have them and they still work, these are a good option also for floor lamps bedsides etc that you cant get to the inline switches, just plug them into the receiver, and use the remote.
    They used to sell them in multipacks, now only single pack versions.

Another option is to simply replace the globes with a globe that has a movement sensor built in.

I would suggest the best option is to sort the shed out, and dispose of this supposed "junk" freeing up valuable space in the shed and not creating a problem you need to solve

capture.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails arlec.jpg  
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

Hmmm. Thanks for the replies. Seems you all are coming up against the same blank wall as my search ran into.
    There is no WIFI in the shed so Hey Google or Alexia type devices are not suitable.
    I was hoping to find some sort of wireless device that was designed to plug into the existing bayonet socket at one end and had inbuilt wireless and a bayonet socket at the other end to plug the globe back into. It would then work with a wireless wall switch - sort of like a no-wire door bell or a ceiling fan type setup.. I found several refences to Edison Screw devices like this but I think they are WIFI so not suitable.
    I have found something that seemed to be suitable, being a device with wires on it on one and and a separate remote battery operated wireless switch. But this needs wiring in etc etc by an electrician too.
    I was hoping to find a Plug & Play solution, but it seems it a wish too far.

Guess I'll call in the electrician to shift the current wall switch.

IKEA have a Remote system in their TRADFRI range, these will do what you want, but only come in E27, they also sell a B22 to E27 adapter in Europe but not here ?, you can find these elsewhere, but beware of cheap nasty ones unless you want the shed to burn down.

Also you can just get a cheap B22 version on ebay, 99% guaranteed these are not complied to AU standards, and could catch fire.

There are plenty of options out there to solve the problem.

capture3.jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails capture1.jpg   capture.jpg   capture2.jpg  

7K Club Member

Seems an Electrician will probably be best for moving a regular switch or two

2K Club Member

2/3 a cowboy. He'll also need a bayonet plug to AU 3 pin
    sounds like an idea, i need to install a 6kw box aircon next to a light socket as no power point near by, i can use one of them, sweet.

Thanks for your continued interest.
    I thought the Ikea units was going to be the go until I realised they are just a Ikea version of Google and Alexia. Still need all items in range of the WIFI, which is an issue.

The sparkie has been spoken to, but not booked yet. Still hanging out for a DYI solution that is reasonably economical and DIY and legal/safe.

7K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by wozzzzza View Post
    sounds like an idea, i need to install a 6kw box aircon next to a light socket as no power point near by, i can use one of them, sweet.
    Err, maybe not run the aircon on the light circuit

1K Club Member

Err, maybe not run the aircon on the light circuit
    I think (and hope) he was just taking the piss.
    6kW A/C would not run on a light circuit.
    Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Golden Member

Is it worth considering putting WiFi in the shed as part of your DIY solution and maybe allow for future options/uses?
    Not sure how far away your shed is?

A range of options such as:

1. Mesh WiFi with a couple units to extend WiFi to shed
    2. If you have a spare conduit to the shed or cat5 cable to the shed, then use an old router as a WiFi extender https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21tRWUvsQ34 I've used this solution for the last 3 years to my main shed thats 100m away without issues.
    3. Powerline Network Adapter. 2 units with one connected to your modem and plugged into a wall socket next to your modem and the other is placed in the shed powerpoint. If you have single phase to your property, then should be no issue but if you have 2 or 3 phase, then you need to make sure both units are on the same phase for it to work.
    Personally I found over long distances Powerline Adapeter doesnt work which is why I went for option 2.
    - the options with this solution is you can get WiFi powerline network adapters with built in WiFi.
    - The other option is to add WiFi as in option 2 above such as converting an old WiFi modem to a WiFi Router
    - If you buy the unit from a major retailer with a good returns policy say Officeworks, try it to see if it works. If it doesnt, then repackage and return for a refund.

3K Club Member

https://catalogues.au-catalogues.com...logue-84112-19

Page 20 a couple of cheap solar lights

Check store availability

2K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey66 View Post
    I think (and hope) he was just taking the piss.
    6kW A/C would not run on a light circuit.
    yeah just joking, yet some people with no idea would do it probably.

Quote Originally Posted by wozzzzza View Post
    yeah just joking, yet some people with no idea would do it probably.
    Really, I knew you were hiding something, as I thought you would have optioned for at least a 7.2Kw up there, straight into the bayonet, no problem mate