Hire the best Electrician

scorpion generator, what one to get??

2K Club Member

Default scorpion generator, what one to get??

i am after a power generator for use when power goes out for computers and fridge.
    i reckon a 2.8kva will do the job, but what type to get? one of those pure sinewave ones with yellow covers or the other normal one about half the price with the red covers.
    Anyone know the difference and what one should i get??
    It will only have occasisonal use but want something that wont blow computers up.

Apprentice (new member)

Gday, for computers and other sensitive stuff, you need a pure sinewave one. The difference is in the output, the pure ones have a nice clean wave where the "normal" ones can have spikes etc which could damage your electronics. Make sure the unit has enough current to start the fridge, this is when you are likely to need most power.

Cheers,

Stork

Apprentice (new member)

I might clarify this a little more...

Anything that uses a switchmode power supply, i.e. computer, tv, laptop chargers, will run ok with a MSW (modified square wave) power supply, as they all rectify the incoming AC into DC as a first step in conversion. the easiest way to tell if something is using a switchmode power supply is if it has a wide input voltage, (i.e. 100 to 240V)

However for anything that uses a transformer or has a motor (i.e. fridge) or is sensitive to electrical interference (audio amplifier) will definitely need a pure sine wave, running on MSW will cause the equipment to fail in an expensive way!

In your case, having a fridge means the more expensive pure sinewave generator....

1K Club Member

Generators are something I deal with quite a bit at work...

For power tools etc a "normal" one will be fine. That's what you'll find in use at just about any worksite that's using a generator.

For powering your normal household appliances - go for a pure sinewave / inverter unit. It'll be a lot cheaper than blowing things up.

And if you just want to charge some batteries or run a light when camping, then to be honest you can't beat one of those cheap two stroke ones rated at about 650 Watts sold under all the usual cheap tool brands. I've got one, it's had a lot of use (including several days continuous running at 670W load) and thus far it's still going. Yes, they're cheap and nasty. Yes, they rattle and thump and always sound like they're about to blow up even when brand new. Yes, the exhaust smells of two stroke fuel. The electrical output is nasty to be polite (certainly no computers on these...). And no, you can't get spare parts if something breaks. But I've seen these for sale as low as $79 brand new which is hard to beat if you just want to occasionally run a flood light or charge a few batteries and don't need a better quality generator.

And if for "professional" use? Buy a Honda or Yamaha. Worth the extra $ in my opinion if you want quality and durability.

3K Club Member

Having had a few gen sets on the boat I would advise anyone contemplating this step to avoid the ones that run at 3000+ RPM,
    They will do a good job but for long.

The ones that run around 1500 RPM will outlast 3 of the high RPM type.

Good luck.
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.
    http://www.wet-seal.com.au/waterproofing/locations.html

2K Club Member

got a scorpion one the other day, i doubt it will get a lot of use so should last a while.