Hire the best Electrician

Steps to become a licensed electrician (or to carry out electrical work)

Question Steps to become a licensed electrician (or to carry out electrical work)

Hi,

I wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction or the best place to make enquiries with regards the steps needed to becoming a licensed electrician (domestic/home use).

I do have an electrical background and have previously completed an electrical/electronic apprenticeship (Rail systems). I do not have any qualifications for electrical work here in NSW but I do have qualifications outside of Australia.

I have googled 'how to become an electrician' and the results were aimed at school levers, 4 year apprenticeship, TAFE etc... but I was hoping there would some kind of accord in terms of previous accreditation being recognised that may be used together with an additional course or assessment to fill the gaps so to speak...

Any information is appreciated.

Dabba

Quote Originally Posted by dabba View Post

I was hoping there would some kind of accord in terms of previous accreditation being recognised that may be used together with an additional course or assessment to fill the gaps so to speak...
    Hmm. Sounds like RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning) which is usually done through TAFE for a small fee.
    You'll need references from previous employers and proof of your skills etc of course.
    I did this for my landscaping business.
    Sent them a bunch of paperwork with a few notes from guys I'd worked with, photos of jobs I did both with them and also on my own.

Did it all via mail, they ticked the boxes and that was it.

Try contacting your nearest TAFE for more info

Accident free since yesterday

Accident free since yesterday

Default Steps to become a licensed electrician (or to carry out electrical work)

Thanks, appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1K Club Member

Just saw your post. Get in touch with Fair Trading (in NSW) they will tell you what you have to do. They are the licensing authority. There are two basic licenses... Supervisors License which allows you to legally work for a contractor but not do work that you charge for in your own right (I think that you can work legally on your own place but you would need to check if this is still the case), and Contractors Gold License which allows you to do work commercially.

Generally getting a license will be something like... 1) Having suitable experience and evidence for this (i.e. a suitable appreniceship and appropriate work experience). 2) if this seems O.K., then an examination on your knowledge of AS3000 (often just an interview and Q&A by a supply authority). If your experience is not deemed to be sufficient you might find that an Electrical Contracting Company would take you on as a mature age apprentice until your skills are up to speed.

Good luck!

Default Steps to become a licensed electrician (or to carry out electrical work)

Thanks, I'll look into it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk