Hire the best Electrician

Test & Tag Course/Services

Default Test & Tag Course/Services

Hi all,

I am currently self employed as an IT Consultant. I currently deal with many offices and am an ACA accredited cabler, but am also interested in becoming Test and Tag accredited to add to my services (obviously to earn a few more $$).

Given the course is a few hundred dollars, thats not a problem, and from what I can tell I can spend anything from $400 to $1500 on a tester with some tags to start (or maybe even more if I wanted it to boil the kettle as it test it!!), what I cannot find out from a bit of web searching is what sort of dough testers charge - say an office with 50 or so things to test (as an example). I did find one web site that stated 'from $3 an appliance' so I'm guessing thats given a minimum number of appliances to test?

Also is it better to get one of the more expensive testers with logging/label printers built in to make labels and to then give the list of items tested to the clients easier?

I know a lot of this will be covered in the course but I am hoping to find out a bit before I spend the $350 or so to do the course in June locally, as I don't then want to find that I absolutely need a $2000 tester and can only charge $2 an item to test......I'd rather it not take me 10 years to pay for it as this will be a limited sideline to my existing business and I can't see myself doing tonnes of testing.

Thanks.

Your cheap!!! I pay $10 per item, around $700 bucks a time every three months. Bloody stupid rule I reckon. They probably flog us a bit for travel but that's around $2800/year for me without doing any one elses testing! They don't have a flash fancy tester. Just plug it in and test, green light is as good as money in the bank. I don't even know why you need to be an electrician to do it? Stupid. Bloody stupid.

read the original post, he says he's not an electrician and that he's doing a course to do it. hence, you don't need to be an electrician to do it.

most charges are per lead, so it will depend on how fast you are [how many leads you do in a day, obviously more if they have them all in a pretty pile, less if you have to crawl under desks to find them], what extras you provide [computerised inventory with date reminder etc, or just tags only], and when sparkies do it, if any repairs are done.

I'd say that you wouldn't be able to charge as much as a sparky, given that they can repair leads on the spot, so perhaps around 75% of what they would charge is reasonable.

I'm unsure of a specific dollar value, I do it at my workplace, so charges aren't an issue. Perhaps start out at $7 per lead. And as an example we assume you have a wage/labour charge/whatever of $200 per day. You then only need to tag 29 leads a day to pay for yourself, then any extra is overheads [obviously you'd work this equation the other way, take out overheads and the rest is yours, but I know wages better than overheads so I'll start with that].

Thats not too big an ask, only being 3.6 leads per hour. that means you have 16 minutes per lead. That is plenty of time. If you had an average time of 10 minutes per lead [again, not too big an ask, some go quick, some take longer. Mostly it's actually finding the leads. But, you can only tag what you can find. The rest get shown up on the report as not being found.] then you can tag 6 leads per hour, 48 per 8 hour day. That is $336 takings for the day for tagging less than fifty leads.

Now, fifty leads isn't too impreesive a tally, but when an experienced operator can tag at about one every five minutes, which includes writing the tag and including it on a datebase [i'd just make one on access, most offices would be able to read that. Only print out a hardcopy for the customer, keep a soft copy in your files, and they'll be forced to keep coming back to you if they want to maintain a database] and you've suddenly tagged 96 leads in a day. that is $672 for the day. subtract your wage and you've got $472 [after wage of $200 from above] to pay off the tagger, and cover other expenses.

Of course, you would need to have a few customers to be able to pay off the tagger quickly, most office equipment only needs to be tagged every five years. Other appliances like those found in office kitchenettes are more frequently, up to every 3 months for moveable equipment.

If you wish to charge in the ten dollar region, i'd be providing a printed report of total items tested, those in date, lost, in need of repair, etc and have something extra, like a company logo on tags so they'll know to call you next time it needs it.

Tool Whore - 1K Club Member Vernonv's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thatirwinfella View Post
    I'd say that you wouldn't be able to charge as much as a sparky, given that they can repair leads on the spot, so perhaps around 75% of what they would charge is reasonable.
    I reckon you will find that if a lead gets fixed by the tagger (an electrician) it gets charged extra. Therefore I would charge the same as what a sparkie charges for the base test/tag service (probably a tad less to be competitive).
    Cheers.

Vernon.

Thanks guys.

Geez, maybe the 'from $3 a test' was based on a huge office of 300 or something. I'd be happy with even $5 a test if theres at least 50 in the office to test, especially if I'm onsite to do something else. It sounds ok to me. Definately worth doing as an added extra. Thanks.

1K Club Member

Mate we were on a job at marrickville and got the heads up that workcover were on there way, my boss said to get the sparkies onsite to test anything that wasnt current.
    Me and the fella i was working with got everything off our utes, including my kettle and sandwich toaster and got it all tagged.
    They put a bill in for $38 per appliance!!!!!!!
    And they call plumbers thieves!
    N.O.S. from taren point, should see the bosses car.
    Plumbers were around long before Jesus was a carpenter

Geez mate, if workcover had waited til I did the course I would have charged $37.

Hammer Head - 1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by wonderplumb View Post
    Mate we were on a job at marrickville and got the heads up that workcover were on there way, my boss said to get the sparkies onsite to test anything that wasnt current.
    Me and the fella i was working with got everything off our utes, including my kettle and sandwich toaster and got it all tagged.
    They put a bill in for $38 per appliance!!!!!!!
    And they call plumbers thieves!
    N.O.S. from taren point, should see the bosses car.
    that is off its head, i would tell them to stick it up his a r s e.
    but you shoulde have had your gear tag before you went on site, its normal in a builders contract for them to back charge you at an extreme price but not that much,

i did the course a few years back brought the tester and just use to tag my stuff or our employees its still a pain in the butt every month. i spend a couple of hundread just on the packets of tags,

my tester is battery powred so quick to use, some tags have less details to fill in so faster to do

OK guys, I've completed the course! YAY! Its been a while since I've sat in a classroom for so long and I must say I am buggered (how can one get so tired from sitting down????).

I think the course is a bit of a joke though - I have more questions that weren't covered in the course than before I did it. Some of them are basic questions, but since the course was aimed at those without the knowledge to be able to go out and test clients equipment (or their own), I don't think it covers enough. Basically no mention of how to test 3 phase for starters.

Having said that, I think its taught me enough for my purpose - testing PC's and office equipment. Unfortunately the course has taught me that I can't use the cheaper testers ($500 odd) since I need leakage testing in order to test electronic switched devices - so I'm up for more like $1000. Bugger.

Anyone know the cheapest place to get a Nesco TNT-L?