Hire the best Electrician

Underground conduit for automatic sliding gate

Novice

Default Underground conduit for automatic sliding gate

I plan to install an automatic sliding gate next year, two options so far:
    1. Run the low voltage DC gate opener, then I can do it all by myself, what kind of conduit should I use and how deep? Can I use one of the UPVC electrical conduit (white color) or heavy duty conduit (orange color) from bunnings?

2. Run the 240V AC gate opener, then I need ask a sparky to come and do the connection. But to save the cost, I will still need to cut the concrete, trench and lay the underground conduit. Again, what type of conduit can I use and how deep? Is the above UPVC conduit valid?

Also plan to get gas connection late next year, should I also pre-lay some PVC pipe (eg. 45mm or 60mm), so later plumber can lay their pipe through this PVC pipe, then I don't need to cut the concrete again? How deep should gas pipe to be buried?

BTW, the cable conduit will be laid under my concrete driveway and brick pavers. when calculate depth, should it start from concrete or paver?

Many thanks,
    Jamie

Community Moderator

For No 1 you can do as you like.

For No 2 500 mm below the ground or 300 mm below 75 mm of concrete with a marker tape half way down. Use orange conduit only and protect it where it comes out of the ground with water pipe or similar. All of this can be null and void if you do it before the electrician puts his wires in so you must work with him as he signs off on it

Gas should be 100 mm away but that is site specific. As for installing the conduit for gas I can't answer.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Bros View Post

For No 2 500 mm below the ground or 300 mm below 75 mm of concrete with a marker tape half way down. Use orange conduit only and protect it where it comes out of the ground with water pipe or similar. All of this can be null and void if you do it before the electrician puts his wires in so you must work with him as he signs off on it

Gas should be 100 mm away but that is site specific. As for installing the conduit for gas I can't answer.
    Thanks Bros,
    Thanks for your reply, btw, what are those GREY medium duty rigid conduit for? Is that also for mains cable, but for internal?

Community Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Renomaster View Post
    what are those GREY medium duty rigid conduit for?
    Anything but underground. It also has the characteristic of being UV resistant where orange does not which has to be painted when exposed to the sun

1K Club Member

As an electrician, I am legally responsible for my work.

If someone was going to install a conduit underground (which is classified as electrical work) then I'd at least want to thoroughly inspect it prior to the trench being filled in. It it turns out to not be deep enough, of the joins aren't glued, or you used the wrong conduit then guess who ends up in trouble....

So in short, if you're going to run mains power then get in touch with the electrician before you buy or install any conduit. They'll be more than happy for you to dig the trench etc, but they will want to make sure that the conduit work is up to standard.

I expect that plumbers would have a similar view regarding gas. They're not likely to be happy accepting responsibility for something that someone else installed and which they can't inspect themselves before signing off.

Novice

IF it turns out to be an electrical work, I will definitely ask electrician check before fill the trench. Because If I have already dug that deep, What benefit will I get by fill in before sign off?

Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    As an electrician, I am legally responsible for my work.

If someone was going to install a conduit underground (which is classified as electrical work) then I'd at least want to thoroughly inspect it prior to the trench being filled in. It it turns out to not be deep enough, of the joins aren't glued, or you used the wrong conduit then guess who ends up in trouble....

So in short, if you're going to run mains power then get in touch with the electrician before you buy or install any conduit. They'll be more than happy for you to dig the trench etc, but they will want to make sure that the conduit work is up to standard.

I expect that plumbers would have a similar view regarding gas. They're not likely to be happy accepting responsibility for something that someone else installed and which they can't inspect themselves before signing off.

Hi

Ditto

YES it is Electrical ,in that the electrician has to take the responsability THAT IT IS DONE RIGHT!!

Maybe he meant mains instead of low voltage work!

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by oldtrack123 View Post
    Hi

Ditto

YES it is Electrical ,in that the electrician has to take the responsability THAT IT IS DONE RIGHT!!
    Even if low voltage 24VDC motor?

Quote Originally Posted by Renomaster View Post
    Even if low voltage 24VDC motor?
    Hi
    NO only if it is 40V or above AC

OR above 110v ripple free DC

PeterQ

Novice

Hi Bros,

Is that deep enough? As can be seen from attached image, there are paving above the convrete, should I count from the top of paving or bottom of concrete, that makes huge difference (about 170mm).
    Also, the trench width is more than 300mm, the plan is to lay electrical able on one side and gas pipe on the other side, is the separation distance wide enough?

Regards,
    Jamie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Community Moderator

As long as the concrete above it is 75mm thick it is deep enough.

As for the gas I will put it this way. If I came along after the gas was run I would run the electrical conduit 100mm away from the gas now if the gas installer came after I installed the electrical conduit I wouldn't know what he would say or do.

So it is as I said before you must involve the two trades. It would be extremely unlikely that the electrician would have a gas ticket.

Gee I would love to have soil like that makes a change from my rock and clay looks like you could grow anything in it.

Novice

As long as the concrete above it is 75mm thick it is deep enough.

As for the gas I will put it this way. If I came along after the gas was run I would run the electrical conduit 100mm away from the gas now if the gas installer came after I installed the electrical conduit I wouldn't know what he would say or do.

So it is as I said before you must involve the two trades. It would be extremely unlikely that the electrician would have a gas ticket.

Gee I would love to have soil like that makes a change from my rock and clay looks like you could grow anything in it.
    Thanks Bros,
    I also realized this time that the soil under driveway is much better than my front yard which is very sandy.
    Regard to sliding gate, I decided to use 24DC gate opener, so that is not problem anymore. My plumber send me a message a week ago that if it's under concrete, than 300mm is deep enough. Because he is on Christmas holiday now and I am not able to contact him, I am not quite sure that you guys measure the depth from top of paver or not.

Regads,
    Jamie