Hire the best Electrician

Use of power point ok?

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Apprentice (new member)
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Melb
    Posts
    17

    Default Use of power point ok?

    We have an outside light, which when I attempted to remove the globe, the "attachment" sheared off in my hand leaving the wires exposed.

    The switch which operates the light also operates a power point.

    Question is - if I use insulation tape to cover the exposed wires, can I still safely use the power point?

    We have a sparky coming soon, but would this be ok in the meanwhile?

    Thanks...

  2. #2
    Golden Member bennylaird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Werribee, Vic
    Age
    64
    Posts
    704

    Default

    Hmmm not enough info. If the wires are in the open and just taped you still run the risk as kids might unwrap the tape. If you feel any doubt then isolate it and leave it for the sparkie.

  3. #3
    Information squirrel floobyduster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Toowoomba, QLD
    Age
    73
    Posts
    105

    Default

    The safest option is to wait for the sparky if soon is soon enough and you have another power point to use (even if you need an extension cord). If this is the case then place a piece of tape across the switch so that no-one else turns it on. Lights and power points should not be on the same circuit so get your sparky to check that out. If you really can't wait for the sparky then taping is an option only if you are competent to do it safely - with the power turned off. The wires should be taped individually and left splayed out. Make sure that they are not where someone inquisitive can get at them ie children. Safety must be the priority.
    "A blind man would love to see it - it fits where it touches!"

  4. #4
    Apprentice (new member)
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Melb
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Thanks for the responses.

    Think the previous owner of the house did some DIY elec work alas.....

    So will leave it to the experts.

    Cheers

  5. #5
    1K Club Member Pulse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Port Macquarie
    Posts
    1,692

    Default

    Manda,
    Best not to just tape the wires but to enclose them using a large junction box. Inside the junction box will be 4 clear plastic connectors, one with two screws. Use these to cover the endsof the wires and then tape and cover with a box. Obviously make sure power is off with multimeter or voltage detector first. Then you can safely use the powerpoint.

    Cheers
    Pulse

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    72

    Default

    I would be wary about using the power point at all, lighting and power wiring should never be combined, this diy has done a big boo boo, who knows whether he has used lighting cable to run to the power point.
    Hen

  7. #7
    Apprentice (new member)
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Good responses from those above.

    Definitely sounds dodgy at best.

    Also good decision to leave it to the expert to check it out.

    If it is at all dangerous then I would also advisew that you leave the circuit breaker turned off for that circuit or leave the fuse out.

    Better to be sure than sorry.

  8. #8
    That's SIR!!......Not CUR Ivan in Oz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    On the Downs, Darling SEQld
    Posts
    354

    Angry Leave Alone

    Power Point is OK
    Not as easy as Excel or Word


    The other Power Point


    LEAVE ALONE
    and get repaired Professionally
    Navvi

  9. #9
    Golden Member GraemeCook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    832

    Default

    Mazza et al are spot on with their advice, Manda. Faulty wiring could result in a fire or someone getting a shock, and your insurancer might deny liability.

    Don't use it, get the sparky in asap, and get him to check the rest of your wiring as well.

    There is a lot of dodgy wiring done by both well-meaning amateurs and by lazy/inept electricians. We bought a house fifteen years ago that had recently been "totally rewired" by a large contractor and the vendor gave us the receipts. We later found lead wire still active although it had been illegal since the fifties and a third of the power point and light switches were wired on the return rather than the active circuit.

    I urge you to pay a little for peace of mind and to ensure your insurance cover is valid.

    Cheers

    Graeme

  10. #10
    That's SIR!!......Not CUR Ivan in Oz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    On the Downs, Darling SEQld
    Posts
    354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GraemeCook
    We later found lead wire still active although it had been illegal since the fifties and a third of the power point and light switches were wired on the return rather than the active circuit.

    Cheers

    Graeme
    Jeepers,
    I'd rather believe that no longer happens
    I am a 'Lecky [Industrial] and have no time for some of the Shonky wiring I have found:eek:
    @ home I have only a few GPOs [Power Points] on each Cct
    Saves my resetting them after finding fault, just change to another GPO ...Notice...
    Same for lights, at least 2 Ccts
    My GPO Circuits are on INDIVIDUAL RCDs as is the Light Ccts
    A bit over the TOP, I know;
    but one does not loose Half, or ALL, the House Power or Lights
    Navvi

  11. #11
    Novice
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Hi Ivan,
    As you may have more expertise, I would like to ask a question of yourself or any other house type sparkies here.
    I have a friend who has bought an old house with a switchboard(basically just a wooden panel) located under the house. It needs an RCD fitted to comply which is probably no great problem but it would be much preferred to move the whole meter and stuff to a new board at the front of the house(high set) so the box is accessable without going underneath.
    The current wiring is fairly new and the place has enough points etc.. I was wondering if it would be acceptable to put a new board externally and connect the existing wires via junctions boxes to the new board.
    The incoming feed would also need to be moved and I'm not sure if a joint would be acceptable. Also I see you recommend RCDs for separate circuits rather than a single one(for obvious reasons).
    The incoming fuse would need to be removed to do this safely of course but I am not sure who would do this(supply authority or sparkie).
    Thanks for your advice in advance.

    PS. I am a licensed sparkie by the way (in 3 states) but havent done much house wiring to this level.

  12. #12
    That's SIR!!......Not CUR Ivan in Oz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    On the Downs, Darling SEQld
    Posts
    354

    Thumbs up

    Pedro,
    Thanks!
    BUT

    I am an Industrial Spark, as such, I am easily out of my area with House wiring :confused:

    What you might consider,
    Leave the Meters and maybe Main Switch where they are;
    Have a NEW Board inside the House with all your RCDs and CBs.
    I do not have any issues with joining Cables; as long as it is done correctly.
    That depends on Type of Cable, Method used, Location, Environment and whatever else.

    Others might be a better Guide, someone who does House Wiring more often.
    That'd be most other Sparkies
    Navvi

  13. #13
    Novice
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Hi Ivan, thanks for the reponse.
    Leaving the meters etc in situ is not an option since the purpose of the exercise is to have the under house area secured and the switchboard & meters etc external for the meter reader access.
    Cables would be standard TPS house cabling(twin & earth etc) and be joined using standard plastic J boxes. These would be located where the present board is and this is well protected from any elements(rain etc).
    The biggest headache is the incoming mains. I am not sure if I can join this to extend them or have to rerun new ones from the facia connection.
    Again thanks for the response.
    My work has also taken me away from the house wiring (I play with ICs and such stuff) for the most part so I may have to catch up on it.

    rgds

Similar Threads

  1. Waterproof power point
    By roba in forum Plumbing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2nd May 2008, 10:01 PM
  2. Power point in the vanity?
    By JMB in forum Bathrooms
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 20th Feb 2008, 12:02 PM
  3. Installing power point in render
    By Graha in forum Electrical
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 14th Aug 2007, 09:47 PM
  4. power point wiring
    By ariel in forum Electrical
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 27th May 2006, 08:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •