Hire the best Decking Expert

7.5mm gap to big?

Apprentice (new member)

Default 7.5mm gap to big?

Just about to start laying my grey ironbark. In one section the deck will go into an alcove, which will unfortunately leave me with a 7.5mm gap between each board. Will this be to big of a gap or not? For eveywhere else im looking at a 5mm gap!

Cheers

Damo

Golden Member

That sounds too big to me.
    I thought 2-3mm was normal?

Apprentice (new member)

Ahh ok, they are 136mm boards which i believed a 5mm gap wass the go?

How big is the alcove?

Lay a few boards out without fixing down and see how you feel about the gap. My thoughts would be that 7.5 when the rest are 5 might look obvious.

Apprentice (new member)

Alcove is 3200x2000mm

Ok so if trim 10mm off evey second board i will be able to get another one in. Do you think this would look dickie?

Its doing my head in

Why does the alcove make a difference to the board gap ? 4 mm is a perfect gap for 86 / 90 boards. 5 - 6 is good for wide boards. 2 is definitely too tight and 3 is borderline IMO.

Aha, I thought the alcove may have been smaller. Anyway Ringtail knows more about this so I'll let him offer his advice. ;-))

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by ringtail View Post
    Why does the alcove make a difference to the board gap ? 4 mm is a perfect gap for 86 / 90 boards. 5 - 6 is good for wide boards. 2 is definitely too tight and 3 is borderline IMO.
    Everywhere else is open so gap size doesn't matter as much. Im restricted on 3 sides in the alcove, and due to the size, i have a 100 mm leftover, to small for a board, which leaves me with a 7.5mm gap between the boards i can fit in unfortunately

Edit: direction of boards is running out of the alcove, Between 2 walls.... Probably not makng sense lol

Hammer Head - 1K Club Member

Cut 10mm off last 10 boards
    Or put rip Board in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7K Club Member

I would maintain a consistent gap (5mm seems to be your aim) and simply rip down the last board.

As the guys have said, just rip the last board to suit. Definitely better to compromise 1 board than 10. In a perfect world the sub frame is built to take a full compliment of full boards but even then there is variation. Don't stress about it. I gaurentee you will be the only one that notices.

Apprentice (new member)

The only probnlem with ripping one board is that once its out of the alcove it will be right in the middle of the rest of the deck. Ill post a pic when i puill myself outta bed.
    Thanks for the help and ideas guys

To find all your board spacing options, try this calculator: Deck Board Spacing and Quantity Calculator with Running Setout Plan - Metric

Drag the slider to change the gaps, or hit the +Board, -Board and Cut Last buttons to recalculate and animate the diagram.
    We used to be fast rough and expensive, but we've slowed down a lot lately

Apprentice (new member)

Ok here is the area I have to work into. Once I'm out of here, deck will run both left and right, with the boards running away from the house.

http://i.imgur.com/Lj5RMVG.jpg

and from the other side

http://i.imgur.com/Z0eKCG3.jpg

7K Club Member

Ah, ok. See what you can do with Blocklayer's calculators. If still stuck, two symmetrical ripped down boards either side of the doorway might add some visual interest.

Hammer Head - 1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by damo007 View Post
    The only probnlem with ripping one board is that once its out of the alcove it will be right in the middle of the rest of the deck. Ill post a pic when i puill myself outta bed.
    Thanks for the help and ideas guys
    Just notch the board out once past brick go back to full board

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rip down the board at the door, if you are picture framing it just bring the boards down the side and keep square at the door end rather than returning on a 45, you wont notice the ripped board.

7K Club Member

Yes, ripping just the part of the board/s required within the alcove walls is a good option.

Yup.
    What they said.

Changing the cap spacing will look odd.
    Start from one end of the deck and cut the boards longways as required once you get to the alcove bit.

Clamp a long straight edge to the board you're splitting and run the circ saw against it.
    If possible, predrill a couple of holes first and screw the board to your sawhorses or bench to make it easier.
    Finish off the "L" section of the cutout with handsaw or jigsaw.

Calculating where the cutout will end up before you start laying is pointless IMO as boards will vary in width.
    Start from one end and work out what you need to do when you get there.
    Those decking calculators are all good and well in theory (no offense) but in the real world boards can vary up to 5mm in width.....

Accident free since yesterday

Piece of cake. Just do whatever is required. It wont look odd at all.

Apprentice (new member)

Cheers guys, i layed some out and the 7mm is definitely to big. Will have a play and see what looks good.

If you wanna get technical you COULD work out the amount of boards required in the alcove, do equal cutouts either side and work from there.

But then you might run in to strife at the outer edges of the deck.

The bearers are done to my liking BTW.

Double 140x45?

Aim for a 5mm gap, the boards will shrink a little and open up to about 5.5 - 6mm, this would be ideal for the wider boards.
    I would probably start from the center of the alcove and work your way either side, this way you will end up with even gap both sides for the last boards against the wall.

Then rip down these boards and follow the shape of the alcove, this way you can continue full width boards with the same gap once your out of the alcove.

In hindsight I would have run the joists the other way so you have all the end cuts away from the house, but it looks like a good job you've done, good to see the doubled bearers as the intermediates.

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by PlatypusGardens View Post
    The bearers are done to my liking BTW.

Double 140x45?

Thanks, and yeah they are.

Quote Originally Posted by METRIX View Post
    Aim for a 5mm gap, the boards will shrink a little and open up to about 5.5 - 6mm, this would be ideal for the wider boards.
    I would probably start from the center of the alcove and work your way either side, this way you will end up with even gap both sides for the last boards against the wall.

Then rip down these boards and follow the shape of the alcove, this way you can continue full width boards with the same gap once your out of the alcove.

In hindsight I would have run the joists the other way so you have all the end cuts away from the house, but it looks like a good job you've done, good to see the doubled bearers as the intermediates.
    Thanks, i was thinking about running another set of joists in tangent to those but im not sue how it would look running the boards opposite to how i originally wanted them.

Its not an easy job to do and it wont be perfect, but im doing it myself and i can say i did tha. The joys of trying something new.

Thanks for everyones help and advice, im sure there will be another question or 2 in the next few months.

Quote Originally Posted by damo007 View Post

im not sue how it would look running the boards opposite to how i originally wanted them.
    personally I would have ran the boards the other way.
    I usually think it works better to look out on to the deck and not look down the lines, as it can feel a bit "busy".

Again, personal opinion/preference.

Once the deck is done and finished, you'll be sitting down with a drink in hand and the biggest grin on your face, believe me.

Take lots and lots of pics along the way.
    Always good to have, and fun to remember that point in time when you thought "not much left to do now" (usually about 1/2 way through)

But then again, I tend to make things difficult for myself...

see here -> http://www.renovateforum.com/f82/tim...ogress-100341/ for one of many examples of me doing stuff the hard way.