Hire the best Decking Expert

Balcony deck above porch + rain

Novice

Default Balcony deck above porch + rain

Hi there,

I have a timber balcony deck above the front porch and when it rains the porch gets annoyingly wet and quite slippery.
    I was thinking of lifting the decking and nailing galvanised sheets (slightly falling away from house and paint it close to decking colour) to the joists and re-installing the decking timber, if its in good condition.

Is this an OK solution or should I be doing something else?

imag3291.jpgimag3294.jpg

Cheers

Why lift the decking if similar can be achieved by placing corrugated sheeting to the joists underneath and achieve some fall at the same time. Only thing is all the crap that falls between the decking gaps. A roof over the whole thing would be ideal.

Novice

Thanks for your input, it would be quick and easier.
    Putting a roof over the whole balcony would be a bit of a task and impact the look for the house.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1_front.jpg  

Challenging issue! Lifting the boards and putting in a waterproof barrier is not a good idea as it will deteriorate the boards badly. Perhaps you could lift the boards, put down scyon and tile it all. This would be a good solution to what you want and keeps it all looking good. (I am currently doing this for the same reason).

Is that pic from the real estate agent? Looks like it's been "tweaked"

Golden Member

I'd remove the boards, put down a compressed fibro sheet or whatever, water proof if need be, install a small drain, then tile. You can even get external timberlook 900mm tiles these days.

On the underside, plumb ya drain out, and even line the under side, so you dont have to look at the underside of the fibro in a tongue n groove pine and paint to ya desired colour

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    Why lift the decking if similar can be achieved by placing corrugated sheeting to the joists underneath and achieve some fall at the same time. Only thing is all the crap that falls between the decking gaps
    seen this done this way, from underneath, with flat galvanised sheeting, doesn't catch the crap as much as corri.

just a thought - in fire prone areas not sure how this is viewed now (actually, think it is banned) as it can be a fire hazard with built up leaf litter etc getting trapped.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Is that pic from the real estate agent? Looks like it's been "tweaked"
    Yes it's the agents photo, it's been tweaked for sure especially the background and some of the house lights have been enhanced but it does look like this.
    Originally the house was single level and then they added the second level in the mid 70's.

Thanks to the others for the ideas, it is a though decision on what to do.
    I can always try the flat galv. sheet under and see how it goes including how much debris builds up over 12 months.

Otherwise the tile option is probably the ultimate fix

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by peersy View Post
    Yes it's the agents photo, it's been tweaked for sure especially the background and some of the house lights have been enhanced but it does look like this.
    Originally the house was single level and then they added the second level in the mid 70's.

Thanks to the others for the ideas, it is a though decision on what to do.
    I can always try the flat galv. sheet under and see how it goes including how much debris builds up over 12 months.

Otherwise the tile option is probably the ultimate fix

Cheers
    Just be sure the gal sheet drains effectively forward and away from structural members and fixings.

3K Club Member

I've done the corrugated iron under the deck method (at back of house) and while it, or flat sheets can do the trick, I don't think it's suitable for a street appeal situation. You also have to rig up a way to drain the water around the post. Also it won't stop driven rain from hitting the porch. It looks like your porch is wider than the deck above anyway. If so, you will have water draining from the gal sheet, along the front edge, onto the front edge of your porch, unless you rig up some kind of gutter which would need a fascia to attach to. Honestly, tiling is the least "fussy" looking way but you'd still have to think about drainage. In the end, you'll still get driven rain and if the porch surface gets slippery, perhaps a non-slip coating as well.

Bite the bullet and tile. Scyon exterior is 2.7x.6 and around $100, easy to cut and is tongue and groove. Tiles can be had for as little as $10m2. Hardies site has info how to do.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    Bite the bullet and tile. Scyon exterior is 2.7x.6 and around $100, easy to cut and is tongue and groove. Tiles can be had for as little as $10m2. Hardies site has info how to do.
    Yep... sounds like it's the way to go.

I had a good read of the Scyon products, they seem really good!
    From what I understand, the secura internal flooring 19mm can be used by itself with tiling.
    On another project i'm doing i've partially removed some timber flooring to gain access to complete plumbing and electrical work for the tradies. I was going to replace with plywood and then tile underlay the entire room.
    Now I think I could use Scyon for the entire floor and lower the tiled floor level to be nearly flush with the carpet.
    My other post is here, see lower photo http://www.renovateforum.com/f205/se...r-base-110943/

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by peersy View Post
    Yep... sounds like it's the way to go.

I had a good read of the Scyon products, they seem really good!
    From what I understand, the secura internal flooring 19mm can be used by itself with tiling.
    On another project i'm doing i've partially removed some timber flooring to gain access to complete plumbing and electrical work for the tradies. I was going to replace with plywood and then tile underlay the entire room.
    Now I think I could use Scyon for the entire floor and lower the tiled floor level to be nearly flush with the carpet.
    My other post is here, see lower photo http://www.renovateforum.com/f205/se...r-base-110943/

Thanks!
    Same applies for exterior. Can be directly tiled. No need to waterproof in your situation. Just attend to wall flashing before tiling and don't use a drain. A walkway gutter at the least.
    Definitely for the bathroom, forget the other option.
    That shower base could be siliconed like fibreglass tubs are.