Hire the best Decking Expert

Battens recessed into rafters

Apprentice (new member)

Default Battens recessed into rafters

Hi All,

I have just finished framing up the roof structure for my deck/alfresco area.

The ceiling will be lined with villaboard so I am putting up battens spaced at 450 centers. Just wondering if it is acceptable to recess the ceiling battens into the rafters? This will not only give me a little more height to the ceiling but also means the villaboard can sit higher up against the perimeter beams (outside beams are 240's while rafters are 190's) giving it extra weather protection and more of an indoors look with some beading as a "cornice".

I know any recessing into timber will weaken it, but will this weaken it too much? My approved plans do not specify a batten to rafter connection.

Appreciate any thoughts!

What size battens?

Possibly 2 ways you can do it
    1. notch out the rafters for a tight fitting batten...depending on whats possible with your construction???
    2. Batten up between the rafters. This is what I had do to. See picks. A lot more labour but had to due to limited clearance above the windows of the house.

You can then use some quad around the edges (house and fascia) to finish the job

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2021-04-12_14-22-07.jpg   2021-04-12_14-24-37.jpg  

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks Bart - the plans call for 45x70 battens, so quite a bit smaller than the ones in your photos.

What is the connection for the battens that you have put in between the rafters in that first photo?

yes, we just used the same size battens (90x45) for the roofing and villa board lining....for my supplier, wasnt a whole lot of difference in cost and from memory was easier given they are all CCA treated.

Standard framing Nails was used to fix them between rafters (used Air gun).