Hire the best Decking Expert

Bearer and Joist Question

Apprentice (new member)

Default Bearer and Joist Question

deck.jpg

Hi All,

Great website...it's given me the confidence to build my own deck in our Alfresco area.

I Just got my plans back from the Drafter and have sent them off to the council for a permit. I've got a couple of questions I was hoping you guys could help with before I get started. My deck is very low (approx 220mm) from the ground so a bit of excavating will be required to get council approval. Being so low, the bearers will be 2/90 x 45 and the joists will be 90 x 45. I've attached a pic hoping that it will help explain my questions. They are:

Question 1) I've marked with red arrows where the bearer meets the house wall. As there is no post there, do I attach the bearer to the wall ledger with joist hangers?

Question 2) The width of the deck is 4,490mm with post spacings of 1,496mm. Can I use one continuous laminated bearer across the 4,490mm or will I need to join several bearers?

Question 3) The length of the deck is 6,200mm with bearer spacings of 1,550mm. Can I use one continuous joist across the 6,200mm or will I need to join several joists?

Thanks in advance.

1. yes, attach the bearer to the wall ledger with joist hangers.
    2. yes, you should be able to use one continuous laminated bearer to span 4490mm.
    3. i believe you will have to join your joists, as the longest off the shelf 90 * 45 is 6.0m just make sure your joins are over the bearer.

hope this helps.

3K Club Member

Can you alter the deck design to a length of 6.0m so you can then have continuous joist, no wastage or mucking about?

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks for the quick response Pete.

Shauck,

Yep, altering the design is probably a good idea so I don't need to muck around with joining the joists over the bearers. Just on that, what is the best method for joining the joists?

1K Club Member

In regard to question 1, there wouldn't be a ledger there. I would just put in two more posts say 200mm of house and cantilever the bearer

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by burger160 View Post
    Yep, altering the design is probably a good idea so I don't need to muck around with joining the joists over the bearers. Just on that, what is the best method for joining the joists?
    If you mean joining joist to joist over the bearer, you can half house them over the bearer or butt join and gang nail. If you sit your joists on the bearers, don't just rely on skew nails, also triple grips. Or if you join them inline with the bearer you can use joist hangers. There are many ways really. Pick what suits your situation.

I like inline and joist hangers. If your timber is varying in thickness a little, you can line the top edge of the joist with the top edge of the bearer and skew nail in place and then joist hanger all of them after.

Also make sure the materials are "useable" 6.om lengths. Look at the ends of the timber for cracks and big knots as these will need to be cut off and then see if they are still 6.0m. Take a tape with you and check them. Select the straightest and best if you can.
    Last edited by shauck; 31st Aug 2011 at 07:15 AM. Reason: more info

Apprentice (new member)

Hi Cherub,

Interesting point. I thought it was odd as we have a brick veneer house and I've read on these forums where people advise against attaching a ledger to the brick. I think I'll double check this with my Drafter to see what the reasoning behind it is.

1K Club Member

Joist will be attached to ledger where indicated on plan, don't normally attach bearers to ledgers (bottom of ledger would be 270 below top of joist level). That's why I suggested posts, fixing method should really be indicated on plans

Apprentice (new member)

Another question for you guys....Is it advisable to attach a ledger (for the joists) to a brick veneer wall? I've read quite a few posts on here where people have asked similar questions but there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer. I'm happy to run another bearer close to the wall but would that effect the foundations of the house?

I'm not a fan of joist hangers for support of decking frames. They were designed as cyclone fitments for roofing timbers, to resist uploads, not for downloads on trafficable areas. I would prefer to either put an extra support stump near the house, or the ledger fitted so the bearer sits on top of it. If you don't have the height for that, consider a galvanised steel angle bolted to the wall, with the leg going up.

Apprentice (new member)

decking-plan.jpg

Hi All,

I've asked the draftsmen to put an extra row of bearers in along the house wall as it seems a better option to have the deck free standing rather than attached to the house. The posts will be approx 200mm from the house slab. The question I had with this was is there any issue digging the post holes this close to the slab? The post holes will be 500mm deep and while I'm sure it won't be a problem, I'd obviously prefer to find out now before its too late.