Hire the best Decking Expert

Best way to finish deck edging on the diagonal?

Novice

Default Best way to finish deck edging on the diagonal?

Hi Folks,

I'm building a 'notionally' 4.3 x 6.6 metre rectangular & very low deck that has one corner - a triangle measuring about 2.3 x 1.7 metres - cut off on the diagonal. I'd like your advice on the best way to finish the diagonal edge. The boards run along the longer length. I favour using a matching face plate and have the boards overhanging by 5-10mm for drip purposes. I plan to install an additional bit of 90 x 45mm joist material along the cut-off diagonal edge to provide support for both ends of the deck boards and the face plate.

I guess I want to figure out whether I should restrict the screw fastening to where the boards cross the parallel joists, or should I also screw into this diagonal facing support joist as well.

Trying to visualise the screw patterns and appearance it seems to me that things could get quite 'messy' along the diagonal edge where the additional screws may end up irregularly placed. How do people generally approach deck edging and in particular finishing things off when shapes are less than regular and a diagonal is called for?

Any advice much appreciated!

thanks, Sam.

Can you draw a diagram of what you are building, makes it easier to offer some advice
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

Novice

Thanks for the reply & picture suggestion Metrix.

I've tried to load an image but without success. I'm presuming I haven't used the forum enough to have picture-posting rights. I'll see if I can put a pic up at a flikr page...

ta, Sam.

Hi Savvas. please do not use a pic link, your image size may need reducing to under 1Mb, here's a a link how to upload:
    Heads up How to upload photos (renovateforum.com)

Novice

Here's a diagram of what I'm asking about...

It's how to fasten the diagonally cut ends along the 'cut-off' or angled edge of the deck that is puzzling me. The joists will be about 430mm apart with an extra bit of 90x45 joist material along the angled edge to support the finishing or face plate.

I guess I'm just concerned that if I fasten at both the regular perpendicular joists and along the angled edge (screwing into the facing materials) the fastening could all start to look a bit of a mess. I'm just wondering if there's a recommended way to deal with this sort of design...?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails deck-plan-1.jpg   deck-plan-1e.jpg