Hire the best Decking Expert

Building deck on screw piles

Apprentice (new member)

Default Building deck on screw piles

Hi,
    our house was build in a very sandy area and hence we've screw piles installed. They were also suggested during the build for the deck. Through the build, we removed the deck from scope due to costs but the screw piles were installed.

Its been a year and i'm looking into the deck....I've read a lot of the forums and understand the span tables but not sure i'm quite getting it right.

Looking for some guidance/recommendation on what i should use for the Bearers and Joists. From my reading of the span tables, if i use the screw piles as they are located, its very large pieces of timber that i need.
    I've drawn it out - your can see the distances between the screw piles. I've also only got 300-400mm to play with, unless i need to dig down a little.

Its an exposed deck.

Apprentice (new member)

Here is the image -deck.jpg

Old Chippy 6K

Visit Blocklayer's site it'll help https://www.blocklayer.com/deckcalculator.aspx
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks Bloss - that helps me calculate costs and the locations of stumps, bearers and joists.
    But given my 'stump' locations are set to some extent, i'm trying to determine what Bearers and Joists i need.

I think i've an FLW of 2meters. And then the span (distance of single span of one pile to the next) is 3 meters or continuous span is 6 meters. This leads me to a very large piece of timber for a bearer i.e. 280 x 50ish.
    Should/can i be using double bearers to reduce this?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bloss View Post
    Visit Blocklayer's site it'll help https://www.blocklayer.com/deckcalculator.aspx

Seasoned DIY