Hire the best Decking Expert

Bunnings finger joint decking

Novice

Default Bunnings finger joint decking

Hi all again

Question:

Whats your thoughts on finger joint decking. Here in WA bunnings are selling they are selling Jarrah decking which is random lengths which are finger jointed.

I was just about to place an order at a local timber supplier, they have better / standard grade jarrah for sale at $50 per m2.

I must say the timber decking in bunnings looks quiet smart (jarrah) and they are all in 5.7m lengths.

Any thoughts on using finger jointed decking?

GeoffW1

Aw,

I wouldn't use it on a deck. If you press them about it here in NSW, they say it is "screening", not for the harsh service of a deck. If you did decide to go ahead, I'd put a screw fixing as close on either side of the joint as you could get it, maybe even by placing a slip joist on one side, well screwed on.

Cheers

Default Re: Bunnings finger joint decking

It's been mentioned before on here and there have been concerns about how well the joints can hold up. Personally I think those glues are pretty good these days... but not sure I'd want to be the guinipig for that use.

Old Chippy 6K

Not a problem to use for decking so long as treated as you would any decking no need to take any particular care on placement of fixings. The finger-jointed merbau like the laminated merbau DAR is straighter and more stable with greater resistance to bending & warping than regular milled boards - bit of course you can see the finger joints and can have colour variations between segments. The DAR is fine for posts and handrails and is structurally graded.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

We've been selling the FJ Merbau for a number of years. Have always shared the same concerns. On the plus side though, have never had anyone come back and say the timber failed...
    DEMAK Outdoor Timber & Hardware

Old Chippy 6K

Quote Originally Posted by DEMAK Timber View Post
    We've been selling the FJ Merbau for a number of years. Have always shared the same concerns. On the plus side though, have never had anyone come back and say the timber failed...
    I waited a bit, but then started using it (not exclusively) and never had a joint failure - had plenty of rubbish solid timbers fail one way or another over 40 years . . . overseas experience also suggests little likelihood of joint failure.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

Bunnings also sell set length 5.4 Forest Red 138mm FJ, Personally I don't like the look of it, it looks like cheap laminate flooring and i'm not sold on the longevity of the glues.
    Set length straight timber is nice, but an exposed deck cops a lot of abuse from the UV, Rain, lack of maintenance, foot traffic, pot plants, and furniture, even if the glues do hold up for 20 years, IMO it still looks horrible.

Old Chippy 6K

I'm with Metrix on the look of the finger jointed decking, although I quite like the larger DAR laminated 'GluLam' style look, but that's just personal taste. The glues will last at least as long than the timber . . . even if not well maintained. As I said the finger jointed stuff have >30 year use history in EU & North America.