Hire the best Decking Expert

A Cutek & Acrylic Combo

Apprentice (new member)

Default A Cutek & Acrylic Combo

After installing many dozens decks over the past few years I've graduated through a series of decking oil options. Water-based (just top and sides), to water-based all surfaces, to oil-based Cutek all around.

Now, I believe I have the ultimate protection for hardwood decking: (......untested theory!)

Exterior acrylic on the bottom with Cutek oil-based on top, sides and cut ends. My reason for this combination is two fold...

1. DRYING TIME:

The drying time with Cutek can be up to a few days. As I give all surfaces one coat prior to installation I have set up drying racks. These racks (up to 5m long) take up room either at my place or the customers covered driveway. I have found that I've got the substructure ready to go and waiting on the boards to dry. This time lag is an issue when scheduling work.

Another option is to use an exterior acrylic paint on the bottom surface. It dries within an hour/hours and can be put down the same day. Leaving the other surfaces to be oiled after install. As far as I can see there are only 2 issues with this. Firstly, ensure there are no runs of paint from the underside onto the sides. Secondly, the combination of water based / oil based.

2. INCREASED PROTECTION:

Given the exterior painted underside is generally in the dark and doesn't see nearly the same amount of rain, I think the sealed underside would fair better than a thinner turps based product that generally soaks-in rather than seals.

I appreciate some opinions from those in the know about Cutek and Acrylic getting up close and personal.

Thanks,

Why bother treating the underside at all, decking I have ripped up has been in very good condition on the underside. All you are doing is sealing in the moisture unnecessarily.

Apprentice (new member)

So you're saying the sealing of the underside prevents the timber from breathing, potentially harming the top surface by holding the moisture in?

Quote Originally Posted by brett70 View Post
    So you're saying the sealing of the underside prevents the timber from breathing.....
    Acrylic will.
    Timber still breathes with oil. If you treat all round, particularly ends, with Cutek Wood Preservative it will help prevent splits and warp, twist, bow etc.
    You don't have to be fussy, just coat and re stack, it makes a good time to sort boards in lengths for convenience.