Hire the best Decking Expert

Deck around a pool

Default Deck around a pool

I am intending to put in an above ground pool and deck around it.

Still tossing up between Chlorine or salt water.
    What affect do either have on decking
    • timber.
    • Timber finish. oil etc
    • Are gal nails and brackets suitable.

wolfman

Hi brian

check out my decking on www.innovatedsolutions.com.au - sorry its not wood , but in long run , a better alternative . retails at $130 - $150.00 per m2 .

kevin

Apprentice (new member) Lost_The_Plot's Avatar

I have recently put a deck around our pool. quite easy to do. end product was great.

I used a hard wood for the foundation, and used composite decking for the flloor.
    Product called ModWood http://www.spec-net.com.au/press/0605/modwood.htm
    Guarenteed for 25years No warping, discolouration, and most of all no white ants.

I will have to work out how to post a photo for you.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin pickering View Post
    Hi brian

check out my decking on www.innovatedsolutions.com.au - sorry its not wood , but in long run , a better alternative . retails at $130 - $150.00 per m2 .

kevin

Thats getting a bit xxxxxxy if thats the m2 rate for the boards only.. Will make it great fun to sell it to customers by the time labour , structure fixings etc gets put on top.. What would be the incentive for someone like myself would get by pushing a product to a customer that is 3 times more expensive than a hardwood board that they already think is more than they want to spend and risk losing the job and not make a cent more for the major upsell?? My take on it only as i have seen numerous products like this turn up with samples in our suppliers and they all drop by the way side,, By the time you add on installation its just too dear ..These products should be marketed at low end users and work there way into the market and then advance finishes or what ever and work into the upper market once people have accepted the idea..

Not trying to blow your sales pitch LoL

Cheers utemad

wolfman

hi utemad

the answer to your questions simply lies in your own web-site under timber decking maintenance , preperation and application -
    decking should be a simple job of just laying and then getting years and years of enjoyment from it .
    i also struggled to find on your site where you were offering any guarantees with your products ?
    you seem to claim that you have seen many of these samples arrive on your desk over the years , very , very unlikely as there are only two pure upvc manufacturers of decking in the world - i think you may be confused with composite decking .
    yes , the product is more expensive than the usual deck board on the market , but there is simply nothing out there to compare it with .(but yet still comparitively priced to composite decking) at the end of the day ,its all down to value for money , i give 25yr guarantee with mine . " end of promotion"

Mate i do label yours with the others as they are all a manufactured board.. We give the required by law structural guarrantee on our work and any material guarantee the supplier wants to give on its product if any is obviously there too...

i personally dont care for this discussion any further as its not helping the original question and i see most of your posts totalling under 20 are purely plugging your own products in a lot of cases.. it would be nice if people offered what help they could without constant promotion.. if you want promo put a signature line with your details in would make you look more credable than plugging your products as the answer

As to your product i wish you the very best with it but i see no market for it in our business at present ...

As to the real question i would suggest you use stainless screws or nails to fix what ever board you choose to the structure as there is a high chance that the head of a galv fixing will be damaged when its driven in and around a pool it will lead to premature corrosion..

As to a coating for your boards there are a lot of other factors besides the pool that will all contribute to the coatings life span
    • Amount of direct sun to wear down coating
    • Whether its shaded that attract algae
    • Amount of foot traffic
    • board type a hardwood tends to hold the coating longer than a pine board which is less dense and tends to release the coating faster
    • The water from your pool
    If you go down the track of a quality oil you would budget on a twice a year go over with a quality deck oil

If you go acrylic it would be more like 12 - 18 months

Niether coating in itself will make the deck slippery if its kept clean

Good luck with your new deck and enjjoy the pool once it get warm again!!!!

cheers utemad

cheers utemad

wolfman

Wink

utemad

You seem to make a lot of comments , then mention you do not want to make a discussion of this . you then go on to wish me look and yet make another comment ?

The chap who mentioned the modwood didn,t seem to mind paying a little more

Totaly agree with your comments however on the stainless fixings - unsightly mess on decking planks especially around pools , not a problem of course with our hidden fixing system . further more , no staining ,waterproofing required as the boards are non-slip . oh , did i forget to mention that they are also termite proof ? - $130.00 per m2 = value for money , that is down to the customer and there requirements .

Thanks Ute mad, I sort of found the answer I was after.
    Kevin and Lost the Plot thanks I prefer the look of real timber. Modwood etc, just looks like plastic to me

wolfman

hi brian

if you are going for wood and the stainless screws method , make sure you use a4/316 stainless steel . a2/304 will not stand up against salt water or chlorine - good luck with build - send pics when done. i have just commenced my own decking , just finished laying down galv metal sub-frame .

Apprentice (new member) Lost_The_Plot's Avatar

The Modwood only cost me about $7 / Lin Mtr, to buy.
    It has all the same features as yours.
    And i used a coil nail gun to fix the decking. Looks great and SO easy to maintain.

wolfman

hiya lost the plot

sounds like a good price - what width was it ?

composite decking has had a lot of bad press over in the u.s.a were it originated from , but to be honest i have not heared any bad press on the modwood as yet .