Hire the best Decking Expert

Deck butting up against lawn at the same level - Lawn mower considerations

Golden Member

Default Deck butting up against lawn at the same level - Lawn mower considerations

Hi

I am looking at having a Trex Transcend in Island Mist (grey) in the area below

image-deck-design.jpgdeck-lawn-level.jpg

My issue is how to shield the deck (wouldnt matter if it was real wood or this Trex composite) from the lawn mowing. Obviously if i had fake grass as well it wouldnt be an issue,but it will be real lawn.

I was going to mortar bricks in at the subframe level to stop dirt falling in (deck will be about 250mm air gap once those pavers are removed) but then I need to decide how to protect the fascia on the edges that butt up to lawn.

Suggestions have been the aluminium edging or a strip of hardiflex.

What height should the soil be?

1 - 50mm down assuming grass grows to 50mm high equal to deck height prior to cutting
    2 - 70mm down, assuming grass grows to 50mm and height of grass is 20mm down from deck level

Here is an image depicting option 1

grass-level-deck.jpg

Based on the below image

mower-blade.jpg

I assume i cant just push the mower along hard to the deck and assume the blades come out enough to cut right up to the fascia board, I assume there will be a degree of whipper snippering required which unlike mower wheels
    is quite destructive.

I wont attempt to mow like in the images below

mowing-methods.jpg

as Ill surely stuff up and gouge the deck.

The only issue is that i assume it will be very hard cosmetically to not have the aluminium or hardi, show through on the fascia board edge when I trim the lawn right down. ie. i will have to wait for the grass to grow up to deck height to then have only the top edge of the protective strip showing.

Does anyone have any experience or ideas on this?

I thought maybe i get galvanised metal strips and paint them in a grey thats close to the deck, simply touch it up over time or even replace the fascia on the lawn side with metal strip as per the below image with the rusted metal fascia

metal-edging-formboss.jpg

Alternate Applications | FormBoss™

I have grass butting up to my deck, but mine isn't inline with the grass like yours. I do get some long bits of grass growing up the first 4 boards which I am able to clip. But if I was doing it again, I would put up a small rock barrier between the deck and the grass. Buy some 25mm cowra white (or stone of your choice), and run a 50-100mm strip of rocks lined with aluminium strip between the rocks and grass. That way you can cut the grass easily without damaging the deck with the whipper sniper and the grass doesn't get under the deck.

Instead of using the bricks, how about using a brown (Jasper) concrete sleeper as the divider between lawn and deck? They are 80mm wide and will blend in well enough, and you can mow/whipper snip with impunity.

Cheapest Concrete Sleepers in Melbourne | Sunset Sleepers

Golden Member

Hi

I think with any form of strip affixed to the fascia board, it will be seen as per the below.

aluminium-strip-options.jpg

So a lawnmower strip, like the rocks example looks like the tradeoff i have to take even though I didnt really want 3 materials.

I have used these capstones in other parts of the house, they would do the trick and are grey like my deck.

capstone-2.jpg

I am then wondering whether to have it level with the top of the deck or come down some

capstone-against-facisa-board.jpg

* those concrete sleepers also look good, the Malibu looks pretty realistic for wood at least in the image. I wonder if theyre top 80mm edge though is textured or flat.

I think a divider gives a really nice contrast between the materials.

deck.jpg

I just happened to buy some yesterday (which is why I thought of the idea) the grain is quite deep and not on the top or bottom.

Apprentice (new member)

I am also about to do this at my place. My plan is to construct a retaining wall approx. 300mm in front of the deck (ie around the perimeter). Then use 600x300 pavers to span between the deck facia and retaining wall. The pavers will be supported by the top of the retaining wall on one side and timber screwed to the fascia board. Sorry bit hard to explain in words.

I will take a couple photos during construction to let you know how id goes.

you might want to try it first with a paver supported on as planned and see if it will take your weight without breaking. i'd hate for one to break under a heavy step.

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by SlowMick View Post
    you might want to try it first with a paver supported on as planned and see if it will take your weight without breaking. i'd hate for one to break under a heavy step.
    Yep already tested, Actually bounced on one foot with the GF on my back. I am 110kg so should be good lol.

7K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by FOG35 View Post
    Yep already tested, Actually bounced on one foot with the GF on my back. I am 110kg so should be good lol.
    Doesn't it just give you the irrates when you are trying to get something done and all she does is nag!

Quote Originally Posted by FOG35 View Post
    good work bloke - you're well ahead of me .