Hire the best Decking Expert

Deck Calculator

Default Deck Calculator

Theres a new Deck Calculator on blocklayer.com. Deck Plan Calculator - Stumps, Bearers, Joists and Boards

It works out stumps, bearers, joists and boards and draws a plan.
    You can draw any or all components (just bearers, stumps etc)

Looking at adding Cost / m3 and board fastener results also.
    Mobile versions soon.

Any suggestions to make it better welcome

:
    We used to be fast rough and expensive, but we've slowed down a lot lately

Should the deck calculator have the option to enter different 'Bearer Set In (Joist Overhang)' for each side of the deck?

For example, where one side of the deck is attached to a building.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails deck.gif  

Mate just had a real quick crack.. i spose it needs to be able to have the house as a support and hence lessen the stumps and also flick the joist direction too ..
    Is it just a quantity calculator and not a span calculator?? I never knew there were so many questions that needed anwers to work it out .. i tend to sub consiously make them it must seem .. The only thing with diy is that they wont know the answer to all of the questions i feel like bearer support distances etc

cheers utemad

Old Chippy 6K

Mate - like your other stuff it's a ripper!

Makes me lazy though - I just jump on and use it rather than doing it on paper (or bits of wood!) as I used to. Will get an iPhone soon and then I'll always have it!

Utemad's suggestion of a ledger option on a wall is a good one and I've found it easier to use the deck boards calculator to work out the spaces/centres (the two calculators seem to come up with different answers to the same inputs which is puzzling (might be me though! )

It also should have an 'orientation' check box. Utemad suggested that to indicate joist direction, but I have found that it is easier to get people to think about decking direction (same as bearers and across joists of course) as that's where they often have preferences.

But on some sites it would also be useful to 'flip' that - width and length are relative terms not absolute so really it could say 'bearer length and joist length' as they are the fixed measures governing the size. The deck can have a bigger measure of 'width' than 'length' or vice versa, so linking to the direction of the decking run seems more logical to me.

I have used 45 degree or herringbone patterns decks that people seem to like. I like the 45 degree joins so I set up the sub-floor as per normal but close up the joists so that the distance along the decking board is still within 400-450 - making the joists usually around 370-380 apart. But for ease of installation it would be better to do the angles on the sub-floor so that the boards all have straight cuts and still run perpendicular to the joist rather the at 45 degrees.

But since I see few of these I doubt there is the demand to justify a calculator. Then again, maybe because it is too hard to lay out manually that's why not many do them?

The fasteners calculator is great too! Maybe (it might not be programatically easy to do) a way would be to have a box that says "use Deck Board Calculator' and when that is checked it links to that other calculator and populates the duplicated entry fields with the data already entered. But it is hardly a strain to simply enter a few numbers in two calculators.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

Soldiers Earned Your Right To Free Speech watson's Avatar

This is just a joke........
    Do you blokes give a discount, having used the "calculator".
    Seems it saves you so much time.

I repeat......this is a bloody joke.

Old Chippy 6K

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    This is just a joke........
    Do you blokes give a discount, having used the "calculator".
    Seems it saves you so much time.

I repeat......this is a bloody joke.
    This is serious - 'discount' - you've got to be joking!

Nowadays all my work is 'free' either for me (SWMBO) or mates - so I suppose they get a discount - I get it done quicker . . .
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

Soldiers Earned Your Right To Free Speech watson's Avatar

Love it when somebody gets a funny.

Thanks UteMad and Bloss

Will take a look at the best way to set it up to flip the joist / bearer direction.
    It accepts a width greater than length, but it might be easier to flip the drawing also?

Also checking the different results for the board calculators.

I'm away from home at the moment and trying to get used to a laptop, so it might take a while to get going.

:

I think the difference in the board calculators is because the main deck calculator uses the exact entered gap and rounds up the boards.

The board calculator adjusts the gap to nearest to fit full boards.
    Is that what you were seeing Bloss?

Should the main deck calculator do the same and adjust the selected gap to fit full boards?

:

Old Chippy 6K

On the flip of direction I did note that I could simply change the figures in each field, but I reckon for consistency he drawing should also change. Pretty trivial whinges though!

I use a std gap anyway and would rarely vary it. I doubt many would pick up the difference.

I like how the little devil popped up when I accidentally put 200 instead of 2000 in the Deck Width field.
    Nice touch.

I've just updated the Deck Board Spacing Calculator (separate from the Deck Calculator), adding a (big) diagram showing the boards, spacing and 'every x board' entry.

Deck Board Calculator. DIY Decking Calculator - Metric

You can hit the '+ Board', '-Board' and 'Cut Last Board' buttons to instantly re-draw the diagram, so you can see what happens.
    Adding a board decreases gaps, subtracting a board increases the gaps, and 'Cut Last Board' uses exact entered gap size and cuts the last board to whatever it works out to be.

It should be easier to use now that you can see what happens when you change things.

:

Old Chippy 6K

Mate - won't be long and your app's will build the bloody deck! This is another gem!

Novice

Thanks a lot for this app !

It help me so much instead of trying to draw it myself.
    It's not a request but if you are looking for some improvement you can include posts of different size for non flat land deck building.