Hire the best Decking Expert

Deck - Connecting new pergola posts to existing handrail on deck

Apprentice (new member)

Smile Deck - Connecting new pergola posts to existing handrail on deck

Advice please I have finished my 50sqm hardwood deck a few months ago, and now wish to complete the pergola over the eastern side of the deck. How do I connect a new 90x90 post for the pergola to the existing 170x70 timber handrail? Have attached photos and basic plan for reference.

In retrospect, I should have continued the post through. I want to avoid timber to timber contact between post and handrail and avoid rot.

Background: The deck is 400mm off the ground, 90x90 posts connected to post stirrups dynabolted to concrete slab, post bolted to bearers and joists a 170x70 continuous handrail, blackbutt hardwood decking. Will be using 145x45 rafters connected to the 'ledger' bolted through the fascia to the house rafters. Roofing will be a mix of poly and colorbond.

Thanks all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2009_10_29_2062-day-1-old-deck-removed.jpg   2009_11_11_2289-day-6-stacker-door-decking-complete.jpg   2009_12_22_2731.jpg   2009_12_22_2730.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

1K Club Member

Are the existing handrail posts in the right places for the proposed pergola?

personally, I would be removing your current posts and replacing with posts that entend up to the desired roof height.

Will be a PITA but shouldnt be impossible.

And this way you know its done right.

Remove the railing. Get some steel RHS collars (~250mm long) made up to slip over the existing posts and bolt/screw together - weld tags on either side of the collars to attach handrails. Use a wide timber planking for the rail (enough to carry a dinner plate) as this will hide some of the collar and hang on to your beer. Paint or better still powdercoat the collars to either hide or make a feature of them. Try and be a bit 'creative' withe the top side of the collar in terms of pattern - you are going to be able to see them so try to make them presentable/arty/colourful/reflection of your character rather than a simple flat square chunks of steel.
    Joined RF in 2006...Resigned in 2020.

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks all.
    Yes the existing posts are in the right location.
    Can't afford to replace the handrails on top of the pergola costs.
    I dread the thought of removing the handrail at all, it was the hardest thing to get right and was secured with 250mm batton head screws!

I will trial a post anchor centre pin of centre fix with a dummy connection with an off cut.

Next deck will have continuous posts...