Hire the best Decking Expert

Deck height question

Default Deck height question

This question is in regard to the regulations for installing handrails and balustrades on a deck. As I understand it, once the deck offers the opportunity to fall more than 1m from it, these become compulsory and must comply to a set of regulation measurements.
    The deck in question is 150mm below the loor level in the house and is 1.1m above 'ground' level, but has a raised garden bed (600 wide, 300 high) all around. Are the handrails etc compulsory in this situation or does the presence of the garden bed alleviate the height consideration?
    If so, (and I suspect they will be) I'm thinking of dropping the whole deck by another 150 mm. Is there a regulation for the size/area of the step down platform that would be required?

I think all you will ever told are individual interpretations of the rules. It is a rule to be measured from the ground. So a definition of what ground means is looked at. These days people forget about intent, the intent of rulings and laws and bluster about wordings. I suggest you don't compromise how you really want the deck to be in height. I say if your garden bed is a permanent thing then the rules don't apply for your situation. But I still suggest some sort of railing, as even 500mm or so above ground is an awkward height and does make the deck edge feel less comfortable for some people.

There will be a railing Phil, but just simple, all the infill business is what I'm hoping to avoid.