Hire the best Decking Expert

decking; decking oil; screening; merbau; no idea

Novice

Default decking; decking oil; screening; merbau; no idea

Hello, this is the deck that I just tried to rebuild for me mum.
    Its at maroubra in Sydney.
    I'm at the stage of finishing it with handrail, wire balustrading and a merbau horizontal screen on the side and then some roofing.

About to tackle the merbau screening thing (the framed area at the end of the deck in the photos. What is a good gap for lots of privacy but still some air flow? The dressed side of the merbau screening is going to face you on the deck....is there anything I can do about the ugly framing and reeded look that you'll see from the back yard

Does anyone have any advice about this polycarbonate (plastic) roofing and which shade/colour is good. Worried about too much heat and not enough light under it.

My dogs are in a photo. English staffies. The one on the left likes to chew the house apart when you're not home as you might be able to tell from his little smile .
    Anyway I'm also struggling with decking oil. I'm stuck with this Intergrain Ultra-deck which is water based. What is the downside about water based deck oils. Do you have to sand them back to wood when you go to recoat every year or do you only have to sand them if you leave it too long before a recoat. This decking is brand new.

ohhh and any ideas on what to stain/oil the pine steps with

hope this reads how it sounds or sounds how it reads
    Thanks.

Novice

Novice

There are some marks on the deck left by a drill bit which I think had some creosote (wood treatment stuff) on it.
    Do you sand it out. If so what sand paper. Will sanding leave a mark too?
    dohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Do you think it will be too hot under the poly carbonate roofinh I'm gonna put up. I was thinking of cutting the screening down a bit lower for some more air flow.

Novice

Nice job Thirsty, the deck looks excellent.

I've heard from a couple of people that it can get pretty hot under that transparent polycarb stuff, it is after all the way they make hot houses. Perhaps a really dark tint might help or use shade cloth instead (obviously doesn't give all weather protection though).

Pity about the marks. Perhaps it would be worth giving the whole deck a wash using Utemad's technique and seeing how it comes up. If you think it is still noticeable, give it a bit of a sand. In the scheme of things, once the deck is washed and oiled, I doubt anybody other than you will notice. Just my 2 cents worth

Novice

You might be able to see from the pictures, I treated the end cuts of the decking joins with the Intergrain ultra deck which a plan to use on the whole deck. So, at the moment the joins stan out and look a bit darker. I think when the whole deck is coated the joins will still stand out because the joins will effectively have two coats. Should I sand out the joins but then will that make them stand out too.
    Any ideas.
    Also can someone clarify about what utemad was saying
    .....with the water based oils like Intergrain and Aqua deck etc. what are the cons. Do I have to sand the deck when I want to recoat it next year???
    Maybe I should sand out the joins and use a decking OIL instead of a water based oil. Utemad said with the OIL products you just do the napisan wash method when you want to recoat them.

What is a good gap for lots of privacy but still some air flow?
    Here's a photos of the merbau screen from our last house. From memory it was a requirement that the screening provide at least 75% coverage (ie the gap is 25% the width of the board). That was in Qld. The merbua is coated with Intergrain DWD.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_0182.jpg  

Old Chippy 6K

Quote Originally Posted by Theremin View Post
    Here's a photos of the merbau screen from our last house. From memory it was a requirement that the screening provide at least 75% coverage (ie the gap is 25% the width of the board). That was in Qld. The merbua is coated with Intergrain DWD.
    You can use slats both sides or shade cloth on the fence side or another ready made wider cover - like the bamboo rolls that are sold all over the place. Depends how much it is needed for breezes too - but the slats stop a fair bit of that. Great job though, bet Mum's pleased!
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

Apprentice (new member)

Hey the deck looks fantastic! Was wondering what you decided re the screen's gap size to allow that lovely breeze through from Maroubra beach?
    Also wondering if the screen stops the rain coming through? We are thinking of building a screen but it needs to protect a day bed with cushions from the rain- do you have any ideas on this?

Cheers

Novice

Thirsty, I have found any bare steel or iron when wet will leave those black marks and no amount of cleaning removed them. I have these marks from a bright nail, the bottom ring of a BBQ gas cyl, and my kids left some butterfly nets with bare steel hoops that left marks when they got wet.
    The deck even had oil recently applied.