Hire the best Decking Expert

Decking Project- Attaching Bearer to Brick Veneer & Fence Post or Use Ground Screws

Apprentice (new member)

Question Decking Project- Attaching Bearer to Brick Veneer & Fence Post or Use Ground Screws

Good day all!

I've been reading quite a lot on the topic of building a deck and have decided to post some questions about my decking project. I would greatly appreciate any advice from you all!

This is my first time to try to build a deck. The area is approximately 2 metres by 5 metres. I plan to use 140 x19 mm or 140 x 22 mm merbau, that would run parallel to the house. The decking will be approximately 150mm off the ground.

The intention of the deck is to have a "bar-b" area and also as an extended living area for social occasions when the weather permits.

Here are some of the issues that I am facing:
    1. I would like to use the brick veneer on the other side of the house
    to attach the bearer/ledger. Is this advisable? I've read a couple of threads about this topic in the forum but have not found a definitive answer. If yes,
    what are the methods that can be used in doing this? It not, I intend to use ground scews (with related question below, #3)...
    2. I would like to use the existing fencing post on the other side (please see photos) to attach one of the bearers/ledgers. Is this advisable as well? I'd asked a couple of relatives and they've advised me to dig new holes to put it 2 new posts. I also use these posts later on to build a pergola as well.
    3. If not, I'm thinking of using Ground Screws Stirrups and use the
    800++mm deep ones. There have been a couple of threads about this as well, but used for cubby houses. I was wondering if anyone has actually used them for decking and pergola, and hoping for any feedback?
    According to the geologic report when we built our home, the
    soil type is "H" and the founding material is Silty Clay. Please
    advise on using ground screws versus posting with concrete in such an
    area?
    4. The width of the area is approximately 2 metres. In attaching the
    joists, which will be 2 metres accross, do I need to have extra
    footings and have a middle bearer to help with the load?

Here is a link to some of the photos of the area and some of the raw
    plans. These are old photos. I've cleaned up the area and have covered
    it with Lilydale toppings (up to 100-150mm) as I wanted to pave it
    before but now have come to realize that a deck would be more
    favourable in extending the side yard as part of the living area:
    http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/l...eckingProject/

Thanks in advance!!!
    <!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->
    Last edited by marvel25; 9th Apr 2009 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Just added a Question Mark Icon To the Title

Apprentice (new member)

Question Update on Ground Screws - How to Make them Level?

Hi Folks,

Just wanted to post updated photos about my project.

Here is a recent photo of the area that I want to deck:
    http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...z/IMG_0286.jpg

I bought a couple of ground screws from Bunnings yesterday. They were the 865 x 91mm type. What I've done is basically put them on the ground upright. Tapped the head on the middle of the post with a sledge hammer to slightly bury it on the ground.
    Then I used a piece of short wood to "screw" the post in. I had a bit of difficulty as the area I'm working on is close to the fence where I have very little room to screw the post.

Here are photos of the ground screws and the resulting levels:
    http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...z/IMG_0278.jpg

Post 1 Level photo:
    http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...z/IMG_0279.jpg

Post 2 Level Photo
    http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...z/IMG_0283.jpg

A question for those who could help:
    - How can I correct the level?, aside from un-screwing the post and screwing it again? If it's not possible, I'll just do it the tried and tested method of digging holes, and concreting the posts in ground.

Thanks for you time!

Kind regards,
    Archie

jba
    Apprentice (new member)

Hi Archie,

How about having a concrete slab in the 5m x 2m area and lying your joists using loxins onto the concrete and then your deck on top?

Check out Dan's low deck solution. He basically had the same height limitation as you.

http://www.renovateforum.com/showthread.php?t=73603

Whichever way you decide to go, post pics as you progress.

I'm currently building my deck and have limited height. I've investigated a lot of ways of working around this limitation. I'm nearly done with it and will post some pics this week.

Apprentice (new member)

Smile Thanks JBA for the links and a Question about spanning tables?

Hi jba,

Thanks for your reply and suggestion!

The thread-link that you've posted is a great help!!! Thanks heaps!

I've removed the ground screws and have decided to dig and put in tp post...

I'm currently redrawing my model and will post it hopefully by tomorrow! Hope to share it and get some feedback?

I keep referencing at Allan Staines book which I borrowed from the library. I've decided not to attach a ledger on the brick veneer wall, and opted to dig holes for tp posts and 450mm post stirrups.

Can you please help me and advise on how to better understand the spanning tables?

My decking area is approximately 2 metres wide (1.960-1.965) and 5.01 metres long.

Here is what my project looks like at the moment:

Do I have to have a bearer in the middle? Or since the area is only 2metres wide, having bearers 140x50 on the sides and joists 120x45 would be stable enough?

Thanks again!

Kind regards,
    Archie

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by marvel

Do I have to have a bearer in the middle? Or since the area is only 2metres wide, having bearers 140x50 on the sides and joists 120x45 would be stable enough?

Thanks again!

Kind regards,
    Archie
    Howdy Archie,

In your original post you say that your deck is only going to be around 150mm off the ground.

If this is the case, you could create a box frame out of 120x45 TP straight onto the ground. These would be your bearer/joists (set apart at 450) onto which you would lay your decking.

It would give you a nice flush finish and wouldnt overly complicate your project as you could level out the ground to your liking, you could remove some of the soil and lay down some road base and follow it up with a compactor. (would also be cheaper)

P.S Dont attach any decking to your fence incase the fence posts rot or need to be pulled down for whatever reason.