Hire the best Decking Expert

Decking up to the fence & Extending Deck Joists

Default Decking up to the fence & Extending Deck Joists

Hiya crew,

I'm thinking of extending my current deck to be right up against the fence.

I originally built it with about a foot gap between the fence and the end of the deck, but has left a drop between 400mm and 900mm to the ground (sloping courtyard).
    I didn't think much of it at the time, but over the years there's been a few times that I and some of the guests almost ended up falling in the gap, plus the grass loves to thrive in the gap too.

I'm considering decking all the way to the fence now.

The joists sit across 3 bearers and at the end of the deck was the 3rd bearer. I'm planning to snip the joists at the 2nd bearer and extend from there, that way most joists will have a continuous span past the 3rd bearer. The joists were 90x45, so should be good up to 500mm of overhang. The max they will overhang is 300mm.

Question is - when extending joists, how would be the best way to connect the existing joists to the new joists? I will have both joists sitting on the bearer, but how long should the timber connecting them together be? Or can I connect the new joists to the old ones via nail plates and it'll still retain it's structural rigidity?

Apart from the VBA being a bit uneasy about the setup, is there any other potential problems with extending the decking all the way to the fence?

[ *I know, that technically according to the VBA there is meant to be 900mm gap between fence and deck for any embers to not get trapped, but the deck length is 2.8m at it's narrowest point and about 4m at its widest, and a whole 5.6m wide, so reducing the length by 900mm would make the deck mostly useless and leave a damn big space between the fence and the deck in a small courtyard. ]

I've attached some photos, appreciate any input here.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 397cbcdb-0a9f-4de4-a2d7-1e7f79955ddb.jpg   b74c1686-ab8d-439e-a9e3-0b664b30b8ae.jpg   115d3a3a-12d3-484e-8c17-b586346aed95.jpg  

It seems I've "stumped" the RF community? or just they can't be deck'd answering my questions?

What will your certifier say about the overlooking aspect of the construction ?
    I would plant something in the gap to soften the feel of the area.

I would build a banch seat all the way, this gives your guests something to sit on while they knock back a Shandy or two

Building the deck right to the fence will look a bit lifeless, add something interesting, a few planters built into the bench seating will add life to the area.

Below is one I built, and a few other inspirations

161209.jpg

e8ef3e22cc29a6f0ac14f3a04714c243.jpg

0fc1c54c435e3494dd3479c7cc9183a4.jpg
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

Golden Member

Metrix, hey that looks great but stumped how your managed to design it so only the deck gets wet in the rain and not the seating or cushions!!!

2K Club Member

as per metrix. the area is sparten and not inviting - use the opprtunity to improve the area not make it bigger.

plantings like a miniture bamboo might work well, or hard construction with screens like metrix - pinterest for ideas - spend more time on design.

Metrix 2nd and third pics reek of professional design and a welcoming area that you will be drawn to especially (they are fantastic metrix - GJ)

7K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bart1080 View Post
    Metrix, hey that looks great but stumped how your managed to design it so only the deck gets wet in the rain and not the seating or cushions!!!
    The water came from a hose, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Bart1080 View Post
    Special timbers on the seat and water repellent pillows

Quote Originally Posted by pharmaboy2 View Post
    a
    Metrix 2nd and third pics reek of professional design and a welcoming area that you will be drawn to especially (they are fantastic metrix - GJ)
    That's funny, the person who designed the first picture, if she heard you say she was a non-professional, would knock your block off

2K Club Member

What, my wife works with you?

that explains some things then..... 'D

What, my wife works with you?

that explains some things then..... 'D
    The other two do look nice, they are easy builds, I might try to integrate one of them in my place.

We just build what the designers want, it's the planting that makes a big difference, established plants can be quite expensive so sometimes you have to go a bit smaller

The below one was a good one as the timber was the hero the plants worked with the timber, instead of taking over ,this one took a bit of work to do.

1.jpg

2K Club Member

wow - how did you do the curves? plywood sandwiched?, agree though, plantings really do make it - I'm just taking on a disaster of a backyard which is a little scarey with how bad it is, and what i can get done for $20k

wow - how did you do the curves? plywood sandwiched?, agree though, plantings really do make it - I'm just taking on a disaster of a backyard which is a little scarey with how bad it is, and what i can get done for $20k
    Marine Ply with framing in between the seat on the left blended into the existing screen that was there you can see the new timber against the old, after a year it should all be the same colour

The below one was also a nice one, the pergola came up well, and gave that filtered light, and a simple boardwalk to a small area where a table and chairs sat, it was only a small backyard.

20181108_154419.jpg