Hire the best Decking Expert

DIY decking in small area

Apprentice (new member)

Question DIY decking in small area

Hi,

I am planning to build a decking in my small area between 100mm concrete and color bond fencing. This is my first big DIY project Please give me some advice and guidance.

Area is 18M length and 0.73M(about 15 sqm) width. about 100mm to 200mm above the ground.i am thinking I may need to get rid of some the soil and level so it will give some more space under the deck. I am looking in to following.

Bearers 90*45 treated pine - I am going to put 3 line towards length wise. So 3 * 18M. Do I need to bold bearers against the concrete, Which is in concrete side?
    Joists 90*45 treated pine - Same level as bearers in every 500cm spacing, as I don't have enough depth to add another level on top of bearers
    Decking board 90*22 treated pine.

I am not sure how many posts I need to put and concrete. Do I need a posts for every 1.5M? It's narrow 0.74M width and I am putting 3 line of Bearers and not sure how many posts I need and where to locate them.

I am also budgeting this project. Can some please tell me the exact specification I need such as screws and how many bags of concrete I need?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks
    Jay

Do you perhaps have a picture of the area? 750mm is very narrow.

Assuming you're talking about drilling in to the side/edge of a concrete slab.....

...I wouldn't.

When drilling you might crack the slab.
    Or hit the reo and expose it which will make it rust and could also crack the slab over time.

Oh yes and pics please.

Accident free since yesterday

My thought was that perhaps it makes more sense just to extend the slab given the area is so slim?

Apprentice (new member)

21212faab8f109a5bf5d5be1f8777becb8d11f4c37170317d0233628832ea5ff.jpg9982fd35711c55c51118ce7f2ff1226db184477353d57c1909f6c8e05e2064f2.jpg
    Thanks guys for your advice, I have uploaded couple of the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by OBBob View Post
    My thought was that perhaps it makes more sense just to extend the slab given the area is so slim?
    Mine too. I'd be inclined to pave or concrete that area. It's too narrow to be decked and made a useful space.

Jeez, you're gonna have fun digging there....
    Would look nice decked though.

Other solutions as mentioned will be easier, of course.

If you're set on decking, I would dig it all out to suitable depth and put all posts/stirrups in the ground.
    Don't attach anything to the concrete.

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks Guys,

I am thinking of adding some lighting so decking will give more option for that. and also new concrete will look different with the joint unless I color the whole concrete.

If I don't attach to the concrete and dick out some of the soil. Do you think it will cause any issues after long time?

Old Chippy 6K

I'd be paving or simply using pebbles or some such cover. But if you really want decking you do not need bearers & joists - just use suitable short timbers running across from the edge of the slab to the fence as joists set in to the correct level using string lines at plan height less decking thickness (e.g.: 19mm - using H4 treated pine - say 50x50 TP sleepers) and the decking running parallel to the fence/ deck on top off those.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

Quote Originally Posted by jayshi View Post
    If I don't attach to the concrete and dick out some of the soil. Do you think it will cause any issues after long time?

ahem.

anyway, what sort of issues are you referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by PlatypusGardens View Post

ahem.

anyway, what sort of issues are you referring to?

Well if you dig it out without considering drainage ... I guess creating a stagnant pond outside your back door could be considered an issue?

Whatever you do, consider termite precautions.

Apprentice (new member)

Thank you very much and appreciate for you thought and help. I will do another think and see what I can do. I will update you guys. This is my first time here. It's very good and helpful.

I'd be making a sleeper frame and sitting it on the ground and decking on top. No concrete. Just a landscape feature. Maybe level and compact the area and run some agg pipe under.

Apprentice (new member)

Hi All my first choice will be decking and want to get all options such as how do I run the frame, any issue like water under the deck venterlation. I also have another problem if I compress that area with presure it might push fence to next door in lo get run. It happened once I just fixed and straitened with the cost.

If I run the sleepers without bearers and joist how will handle the weight? Isn't going to go down in longer term.

And if I run the timber between fence and concrete without barearer how will it support
    Thanks