Hire the best Decking Expert

Drop saw for deck???

Default Drop saw for deck???

Time to start on the next project. It will be a deck laid over an existing concrete slab.

I'm on a tight budget but am I on the right track that a drop saw would be best for docking the deck timber??

Choice 1.
    Cheap Ozito drop saw (under $100)
    Mid priced Ryobi/Bosch (at least double the el cheapo price)

Choice 2.
    More expensive option of sliding drop saw.

Facts.

Will not be cutting 4x4's. Mainly thinking of using it just for the decking.
    Will hardly use again after the job.
    Is there a vast difference in the "squareness" or quality of cut between the el cheapo or the other choices.

Thanks for info.....

Floor Sander

an ozzito would prob be okay but the squareness of the cuts is like a dogs breakfast i hade a gmc then i went and bought a 12" sliding hitachi but i use it a lot so would just get a chepo if its just for the deck

rrobor

Drop saw limits how wide your stock can be by blade size, usually slop isnt such an issue. Sliding saw you gotto watch when you slide the thing out how sloppy it is, some of the cheapos are quite bad. So you have to decide. From experience I find cheap tools often have a short lifespan, OK if you are on a one off but that is seldom true. Now I get quality or Elcheapo. mid range is seldom much better so why spend extra.

1K Club Member

try buying quality second hand, then resell. at least you'll have a good job and it will probably cost you the price of a cheap saw.

Apprentice (new member)

I just finished building my deck I purchased Ryobi sliding compound saw $280 best investment I have made in the tool line for a long time good quality for the price. You might not think you will use it much after you finsh your deck but your freinds will use it.

Retired Marine Engineer 1K Club Member Ashore's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lazydays View Post
    Will hardly use again after the job..
    Want to bet , after you get one and use it you will wonder how you ever got on without one
    Definately go for the sliding compound saw
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

I got a slide compound Ryobi as well. Though you are only thinking about the current job, if you are EVER going to do anything ever again with wood you may as well get the benefit of the versatility now.

Golden Member

I would not buy the ozito.
    I have one from Bunnings about 12 months ago $55 I think they are now up to $85
    Very flimsy and the ball bearing underneath that holds the slide in place so you can
    adjust for angles cuts blocks up from the dust.
    Even pulling the saw down you can be left with an incorrect cut as the handle can move
    away from you marking by putting the wrong pressure on the handle.

I would buy a mid range drop saw (non sliding).

You will certainly get 'slop' in a cheap one. Not a major deal when you are just doing a deck, it's not fine carpentry. Just make sure it is big enough to handle the biggest bits of timber you plan on using (the joists I guess).

As soon as you go to sliding compound saw you jump well up in price, and a cheap slider has twice the chance of having 'slop' i.s. slop in the drop and slop in the slide.
    Remember the 7 p's.
    Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance.

Apprentice (new member)

I recently bought an Ozito 1600 watts SCMS for some renovations. It was $230 but now I see them for $199. It is a great saw that cuts wide boards. It cuts square and has been reliable. I don't know about these $85 units but this one is great.

I bought a cheap sliding compound years ago($200) , before Ozito and GMC existed. It looked almost identical to what was to become the Ozito.
    Used it to build about 4 big decks, and countless other jobs over the years. Sure there was a small amount of slop, but this was easily over come. If I needed extra accurate cuts I would cut a mm longer and then shave off the end.
    When it eventually died it was because the gears wore down, I suspect that happened when in a hurry to make one cut I had eth lead looped over the motor and was pushing teh motor lock in partly, grinding away the teeth. Have now replaced it with a GMC and can't complain about that either.

My advice - Cheapies aren't that bad especially for a one time use. Consider a sliding saw for the extra width of cut - joists, bearers, the missus wants a chopping block......

Thanks for all the replies.
    With prices for saws recommended from $80 to $1,000, I initially was biased towards a mid priced drop saw (non sliding) and may still stay with that as I start to investigate models and prices.

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks for all the replies.
    With prices for saws recommended from $80 to $1,000, I initially was biased towards a mid priced drop saw (non sliding) and may still stay with that as I start to investigate models and prices.
    I build decks/extensions for a living, and have found when cutting decking the best tools to use are not a drop saw, But a roofing sqaure like this http://www.toolstation.com/images/li...bbig/86530.jpg you can buy plastic ones from bunnings for around 12$ and basically you just use a 185mm power saw while holding the guide to the decking.

I have found this to be the easiest way, Also having your saw set on about 2-4 degrees allows you to get really tight joins.

Quote Originally Posted by Havarum View Post
    I build decks/extensions for a living, and have found when cutting decking the best tools to use are not a drop saw, But a roofing sqaure like this http://www.toolstation.com/images/li...bbig/86530.jpg you can buy plastic ones from bunnings for around 12$ and basically you just use a 185mm power saw while holding the guide to the decking.

I have found this to be the easiest way, Also having your saw set on about 2-4 degrees allows you to get really tight joins.
    What he said. I used to build decks etc for a living and it's much faster to use a square and a saw and take them to the board rather than drag every board to the drop saw. Trust me it's much faster.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Mid priced Ryobi/Bosch
    Im running one of these. Cost me ~$300.
    Not a bad bit of gear. Cuts are decent for my basic DIY projects, like decking etc.
    Unfortunately these saws dont use ball bearings in the slide, so over time apparently the slide can get a bit rough. Would love a $1K Makita but have to draw the line somewhere.

As others have said though, a decent circular saw and clamped metal guide will get you out of trouble too, and its a lot quicker than bringing all your lumber to the drop saw table.

we can tell this is an Aussie site .. the Americans wouldn't leave home without there Swanson speed square its like an icon .. it a pity we just get knock offs here or plastic . i brought mine in from US .. they come with a book of trick and can never get knocked outer square.. a great tool for quick square power saw cuts without the need for a drawn line

cheers utemad

Naf

https://www.dankeltools.com.au/?page...6ae9aab657f07f

There ya go, and a descent price too.