Hire the best Decking Expert

Extend decking area and add a roof - converting to verandah

Novice

Default Extend decking area and add a roof - converting to verandah

Hi,

On the side of my place the previous owners build a deck during the construction phase 10 years ago. They used Tassie Oak leftover from indoors as decking wood, which of course is a terrible choice. The house also has no eaves (hot in summer) and the windows don't have any architraves. All in all it looks very unfinished and want to kill 4 birds with one stone: convert the deck into a verandah to 1) protect the house/windows 2) keep the heat out 3) make it look finished. 4) fix the deck.

The deck is about 1200mm wide. It has every 1800mm a cypress stump with ant cap and the bearers are 2/90x45. On top of that 3 90x45 joists where the decking boards sit on. The subfloor seems to be fine.

The house is EPS with a cement render. I was hoping to fix the deck roof structure to the top wall plate (behind fascia board) and extend roof with 1.2 or 1.3m and use this existing gal guttering.

Q's

1) Would house frame be strong enough to carry this extra load? (both weight and wind)
    2) Would I be able to use the existing 7 or 8 cypress stumps (add another 3 to cover the entire side) and fix the timber posts somehow to the bearers?
    3) The existing bearers are resting on the same stump as the house bearers. The house bearers (also 2/90x45) are checked in housing the deck bearer. Is this good practice?

Cheers

Alex

img_2482.jpg

1. If the roof structure was properly made, suitably engineered and supported on the other three sides... probably.
    2. Yes...but I wouldn't. I'd remove the existing deck and start from scratch, simply because there are doubts...
    3. Without pics I couldn't say...
    Joined RF in 2006...Resigned in 2020.

Novice

Thanks SbD. In relation to 1) I do mean that the verandah will have supporting posts. I'm just not sure if I can attach rafters to the wall plate or not.

Default Extend decking area and add a roof - converting to verandah

Quote Originally Posted by r2d2sander View Post
    Thanks SbD. In relation to 1) I do mean that the verandah will have supporting posts. I'm just not sure if I can attach rafters to the wall plate or not.
    You could...but you'd have to fit a carrier beam first then attach your rafters to that. Ugly but...

You could try a fly over roof using extenda brackets off the roof rafters...
    Joined RF in 2006...Resigned in 2020.

Novice

So de rafters can't be directly fixed to the top plate currently behind the unpainted fascia in de photo. I assume the carrier beam is like a pitch plate... This will then fixed to the end grain of the trusses, which is not great either.

I'm not fan of a fly over roof. It would not fit the heritage look i am after.