Hire the best Decking Expert

Extending a deck, & constructing a new deck.

Default Extending a deck, & constructing a new deck.

We have a short narrow deck at the back of the house & wish to extend it & add a ramp so we can get Mother-in-law into our house without using the steps. We would also like to add a deck to the front of the house.
    My youngest son thinks he can handle the job, but has little experience in the different types of materials avaible for the construction. I wondered if anyone could recommend the easiest way to construct such decking?
    Thank you.
    Regards, Keith H.

I would encourage him to do it and only if he understands span requirements of timber, this might help:
    http://www.chhwoodproducts.com.au/us...e%20Set(4).pdf

Easiest way is with posts set inground with quickset concrete (do not mix like normal concrete mix) or just use normal concrete and wait. There are different ways to support the bearers so consider this before placing the posts in the ground. Generally treated pine is used for the entire project, H3 above the dirt and H4 in the dirt. So H4 for the posts and H3 for bearers, joists and decking. I discourage the use of hardwoods and certainly other untreated timber or lvl (laminated veneered lumber). Hardwoods are reserved for a better spec and high maintenance type structure and best avoided for what I think you want. All fixings must be galvanised or designed to be used with treated pine. Best nails for the decking are the galvanised dome twist type and 65mm for the pine. A drop saw would be very handy, even the cheap ones work well.

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    I would encourage him to do it and only if he understands span requirements of timber, this might help:
    http://www.chhwoodproducts.com.au/us...e%20Set(4).pdf

Easiest way is with posts set inground with quickset concrete (do not mix like normal concrete mix) or just use normal concrete and wait. There are different ways to support the bearers so consider this before placing the posts in the ground. Generally treated pine is used for the entire project, H3 above the dirt and H4 in the dirt. So H4 for the posts and H3 for bearers, joists and decking. I discourage the use of hardwoods and certainly other untreated timber or lvl (laminated veneered lumber). Hardwoods are reserved for a better spec and high maintenance type structure and best avoided for what I think you want. All fixings must be galvanised or designed to be used with treated pine. Best nails for the decking are the galvanised dome twist type and 65mm for the pine. A drop saw would be very handy, even the cheap ones work well.
    Thank you phil, appreciated.
    Keith.