Hire the best Decking Expert

F&W decking oil

Novice

Default F&W decking oil

Hi All

Yes another decking oil question

On the can of oil the instructions say to wipe off excess oil after 30 mins. Recoat and do the same after 60 mins..

Is this necessary? Is it because of the excess oil that doesnt sink in to the wood?

In this cool weather how long will the deck take to dry, instructions say 18 hours till light foot traffic.

Not looking forward to this, it is the only way into the front door, and I have 4 dogs Cant use the back door as we have french doors and they do not have a handle on the outside........

If you want fast use spa n deck you can walk across in 1 hour between coats..
    If you dont overload the decking you dont need to rub off excess.. If you do say 4 boards wide the full length of the deck when you come back for the next pass drag the applicator or brush over the pools if any to pick them up and thats it we never rub excess off ever just control the right amount in the first place

this time of the year if its cold where you are wait til 10 or 11 am to put the coat on so there is no dew on the timber and it will take 2 days cause you wont get a second coat in the same day.. then 18 - 24 hours before you walk on it really

cheers utemad

Novice

Hmmm, just paid $170 for the F&W oil, dont think I kept the reciept, can hasnt been opened. Didnt see the spa n deck though....

Depends where you went bristol and bunnings keep it .. but do your research first as there is more to it than slapping it on.. look up floods website i think they have a demo video on there if not on the aus site the usa site... they also have a dvd they can post you ( don't know if it applies to retail )

cheers utemad

Novice

OK went and looked at the website

I have seen it before, just didnt recognise the name.

Have oiled before, I used the Cabots oil...........didnt last very long before I had to do it again, thought I would use something that was better quality on our new deck.

Ive done a bit more research and I think I will cut my losses and sell the F&W on ebay, and get the spa and deck, I see the Intergrain is acrylic also,

Thanks for your replies utemad

no worries steer clear of intergrain.you could always use the oil and when it wears off use the acrylic if you can get a good price on ebay.. postage will kill you if its a 10 litre tin..

cheers utemad

TIMBER FLOOR CONTRACTOR Larry McCully's Avatar

Hi Jane, I use Feast Watson Decking Exclusivly on all my deck projects for a number of reasons, However i do not wipe off the excess at all i leave it on to soak in overnight and then on the next day recoat it again, I believe that a good quality oil is better for the deck, it preserves it and recoating in the future is as simple as rolling on another coat. In direct sun and full exposure, a deck will need recoating in about 12 months times. It is only a one coat application then and every other 12 to 18 months.