Hire the best Decking Expert

Feast Watson Decking oil really hard to apply this year - do you water the applicator

Novice

Default Feast Watson Decking oil really hard to apply this year - do you water the applicator

Should you wet the wool applicator with water to dampen it before you start, so that the applicator does it's job better? i didn't but I think I should have maybe.

Bought a new tin of feast watson decking oil and new premium wool applicator and the oil just isn't transfering onto the wood easily.
    Prepped the wood with napisan, and then high pressure spray. Dried 24 hours.

It was alot harder to apply than I remember. It was really thick and the applicator seemed clogged with oil, but wouldn't lay it down on the wood very well. Pressing hard and having to resoak almost straight away. I remember it being more turps based last time and easier to spread. Maybe its a new formula. The tin does say longer lasting formula, has a blue tin lid and looks newer. Says water clean up on the tin. I was re reading the tin looking for it to say you have to thin it down. Maybe was the cold weather making it thick.

Last time I used a basic cheap applicator too which seemed more accurate and easier to manage. This year I bought an expensive lambs wool applicator and I was frustrated the whole time working the oil. Messy drips on the sides of applicator and not much oil being put down on the runs.
    I layed the oil today, winter in Sydney maybe 18*C. The oil dried ALOT quicker than last time I did it. Oil dry to walk on within 20 mins. And I was doing a heavy flood coat. Messy frustrating job though. I thought it was going to be theraputic and relaxing.

1K Club Member

I can't comment on the F&W product you are using as I have never applied it. However, a number of months ago there was quite a lot of debate about the old formula-new formula. From memory the new formula wasn't proving to be a popular product. For sometime the old formula dissapppered off the shelves only to re appear again.
    The old (i think) was turps clean up which is what you would expect from an oil based product. The new formula was water clean up. If you did through past postings on the FW story you will find quite a bit discussed. The old formula seemed to be the one everyone liked.
    I often wonder if the chemists who work in the factories producing thesee things ever go and apply them in real life situations instead of on little scrap decking boards in the factory.

I use a water based formula and spread only with a Shurline 9 inch paint pad applicator. It sells for arond $12. The product that I use is very thin in its viscosity & touch dries in about 20 minutes.

What helps me as far as relaxing & theraputic while doing a coating is my brain thinking about my full beer fridge at home.

jimj
    www.restore-a-deck.com.au

Applying decking oil, whether you use water based or oil based, should be therapeutic. It needs to be, because the work leading up to it (scrubbing, cleaning, sanding for some) is bloody back breaking!!!

By the time you get to applying the oil, you should be in the mindset of George Costanza's dad... "SERENITY NOW!!!" Because you'll need it after all that work beforehand.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

1K Club Member

I havn't been in that Serenity Zone yet. Maybe one day! I am generally looking at the sky wondering if it is going to shower,ttrying to make sure the puppy& kitty of the house don't find their way onto the wet deck,constantly picking up leaves & gumnuts dropping onto the deck while coating & not counting the number of birddroppings & gecko droppings.
    Fortunately the beer fridge is always in the same spot when I come home.

PS I even had the homeowner come out several days ago to watch me coat and she didn't see that I had just coated the deck and walked over it. You just keep smiling and pretend it doesn't drive you crazy. Maybe I am more like Kramer!

jimj

Novice

So now that I have coated the deck with this new formula of feast watson decking oil, un beknown to me cos the tin looks just like the old one.....
    Is it acrylic.
    does that mean I can't clean the deck with napisan. Do I have to sand it next time.

If so they should have changed the front of the tin to make you aware. It looks just like the old stuff.

The new formula says water clean up, but it does mention use turps to clean any mess on the back of the tin.

1K Club Member

If you dig through the MSDS of Feast Watson you can follow the manufacturing trail starting with ORICA>Dulux>Cabots>Feast watson.

It shows the producuct line 863 -line feast watsondecking stain. The various components break down with the oil being the typical 60% kerosine. So IMO I really can't see how it could be acyrlic as the acyrlic stain I use has no oil in it but only water as the base.
    Can't tell you why it is thicker.
    jimj

Instead of using the wool applicator, try using 10-12mm nap roller. So much easier, professional showed me after I was struggling to get the oil down using the applicator.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Craigoss View Post
    Instead of using the wool applicator, try using 10-12mm nap roller. So much easier, professional showed me after I was struggling to get the oil down using the applicator.
    Why do they say on the can DO NOT use roller. It may be to keep a nice smooth surface with the lambs wool pad, or it may be when you roll to fast you get splatter on the sides. I've used a roller and decking oil on handrails and other projects, no problems. I think a roller would struggle with this FW water based decking oil. Its thick like paint and harder to work with. Goes tacky really quickly. You feel like it's just evaporating to no where and so is your money.

I just recoated this afternoon. FW water clean up decking oil
    I used the wool applicator and i was happy go lucky with it. Instead of my normal meticulous method of keeping a line and being neat, I was just slapping that oil on, side brush strokes, not a care, and once the oil dried you could(edited meant to say COULDN"T) even tell, how lazy and messy I was when applying it. But that could be with the turps oil too. Have you ever tried being messy and careless and does it come up same once it dries? ( edited - I decided to be very messy and careless with it and it didn't show once dried) I just had the @@@@@ with the product because I got tricked buying it, when I thought it was the turps based FW oil.

I've noticed it's a tiny bit darker, and noticibly more matt finish then the old FW formula. After all the frustration it actually was a nice easy water rinse clean up, and it dries really quick. The dog managed to walk on it about 10mins after I did that section, and no problems. Then I had one of the family walk on it. Didn't worry me, already touch dry. One good thing about the new FW oil. But it doesn't seem to go as far, and I just like the working the old stuff better.

1K Club Member

Well Ok! After reading your last posting I am somewhat-very confused . Are you you happy with the product or not???

jimj

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by jimj View Post
    Well Ok! After reading your last posting I am somewhat-very confused . Are you you happy with the product or not???

jimj
    I'd rather use the older stuff.
    I'm not happy with the product in terms of it is disguised as the old product. I sent the woman out to buy it for me. It should have a different name. Like.... Feast Watson Decking Coating Oil
    I was looking at the positives of the new FW oil.
    Its alot harder to work with(tacky) but dries really quick. ( it dries quick BUT it dries quick )

It says use woodclean to prep for recoating. Woodclean is the same scrub on hose off process as the napisan method. Says nothing about sanding. Do you reckon I'll have to sand when i recoat in a few years.

Coming across a deck recoating job, as tradesman or something, how would you know wether to you can just do the napisan scrub or have to sand the deck.

Default Feast Watson Decking oil really hard to apply this year - do you water the appl

I say the opposite I'm a fan of the new stuff it says it has eucalyptus oil added the only issue this time of year was drying time and it lets off a decent smell for a couple of days.

Cheers Barney
    Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    cheers Look out if I have a tape measure in my hand.....I'm upto something

1K Club Member

I really can't say what you will need to do in the future. A lot depends on the time that passes between coatings,the amount of sun uv exposure,foot traffic,furniture dragging,scratching etc.
    If the coating is maintained on a regular basis you may never need to sand. Although over time most decks degrade and eventually benefit from sanding as this exposes a new layer of fresh timber and a good starting point.
    as far as the chemicals go I think you will find that woodclean is a 10% oxalic acid PH1 product. Napisan is a 30% sodium percarbonate Ph12 which is alkaline..
    The acid is very mild and has a slight brightening effect on timber. The napisan is a detergent which has a good effect on breaking up& dissolving oil & dirt. When I scrub a deck I might use some sodium percarbonate 25 grams/1 litre of fairly warm water if there is a lot of dirt.

Every deck I visit is generally in pretty woeful condition. I always sand and this just offers the best outcome .
    Being a total computer gumby and not a facebook junkie I have to say that a customer of mine who is a computer-facebook person. Last friday I finished a pool deck that the client was happpy with. The facebook page shows a number of sanding & finished photos. I am not exactly sure how to direct you to it but restore a deck now has its own facebook page. The photos will show what a cheap kerosine based oil will turn into within several years.

jimj

1K Club Member

Sorry forgot to add that the computer client somehow had a facebook logo-link put on the front page of my website. Somehow magically if you hit the FB logo it will send you to my FB page. The deck I am talking about is the one around a pool. There are an additional 10 photos that will download to see the old coating & sanding. Apparently the computer person said I need people to hit the like button. Maybe even if you don't like it you can hit the like button as a favour please!

jimj www.restore-a-deck.com.au