Hire the best Decking Expert

Finish options and recommendations?

Question Finish options and recommendations?

Hi,

I have been reading a lot of posts on the forum regarding decking finishes and was wondering if i could pick your brains for some recommendations?

The previous owners of my house before selling finished the deck (merbau) with Ultradeck 'Jarrah'. It looked ok for a few months but the colour was bit red for my liking and did not look like merbau.

Two years later with the deck in full exposure to the elements and the kids having their way on it the Ultradeck has worn off and the timber has started to weather. I am planning to sand the entire deck to remove the existing coating in the coming weeks.

I am not a fan of the film finish which the Ultradeck produced and i am looking for the more natural look.

Using a traditional oil (turps clean up) is fine with me or if there is a benefit to a water based clean up i am open to options.

I am happy to do the maintenance every year but i just want to get a good base down and have that natural look.

What are you thoughts on the following options?

I am also trying to be conscious of costs and time to apply and maintain.

Thanks in advance.
    nesbit

2K Club Member

Just read some of the sticky above

https://www.renovateforum.com/f196/c...9/index14.html

there is more info in that thread than any human being could possibly require

Golden Member

I use and recommend (like many others) the Cutek oils (CD50).

I finished part my spotted gum deck with FW natural water based deck oil 8 months ago. Still looks great and love the color. I can tell though it wont last more than 12 months and probably needs a recoat soon. I left the largest part of my deck unfinished as i can't be stuffed cleaning and oiling every year. Sure its gone grey and isn't pretty, but it still functions as a deck and i don't feel stressed every time i look at it, wondering if it's time to re coat.

Golden Member

well, i believe any decking oil that is water based, does indeed leave a film. its just how it works nowadays.
    for that reason, if u dont like how the intergrain ultradeck looked and or weathered, go to traditonal decking oil.

1K Club Member

I wish you good luck in your pursuit of a suitable timber coating. The biggest surface degrader is the suns UV rays. After that it is water, kiddies, furniture being dragged, pot plants sitting direct on the deck with out feet under . 15 years ago approximately 70% of the coatings available were oil based &30% water based. Today it is almost reversed with water taking up 70% of the market. Personally I really don't think "the best, most natural, low cost, less hassle to apply, longer lasting between recoats exists. There are generally 4 things that the companies "marketing departments" use in the blurb.

1. "Our product offers great UV protection". from my experience the less opaque & less viscous shows the wood best but doesn't block the UV very long. Hence recoating can be more often.
    2. "Our product looks great" purely subjective. You can love it and the minister of war, peace& finance will general loathe it. WARNING!! This can lead to a domestic blue.
    "Our product penetrates deep into the timber" This I have found to be very false. I have sanded off nearly every product both water&oil based and have yet to find a product that I couldn't remove by sanding. And you don't sand very deep. The worst to sand is a kerosene based oil stain. If in the sun the coloured tint comes off easily but the kerosene is burnt black under the stain and can be difficult to remove the black. It will generally require me to use 3 times my abrasives as normal.

4. Our product will "nourish" your timber. I still can't see how anything can feed a dead plant which is what all timber decking boards are.

So my suggestion is to narrow down your choice. Do some sample pots of coatings on the same timber as your deck. Put these samples on your roof so they can get the harshest of sun& rain exposure. Leave for 12 months & then compare which lasted the best. Then have your deck sanded to a new layer of timber & apply the coating that proved itself . Don't forget to include the Chief Financial officer in the discussion.

good luck

jimj www.restore-a-deck.com.au

Golden Member

jim, couldnt agree more ahaha, but what companies offer sample pots of decking finish/oil????
    none
    they just want you to commit, because nothing works well enough on timber that people put outside and walk round on, to warrant sampling it to the public.
    in my opinion, the whole technology has changed to a more application friendly scenario, rather than longevity and ease of preparation, and that is the problem.

Golden Member

I think cutek do. I'm sure one of the other guys here mentioned it. Strangeprep perhaps? I rang and had a chat to cutek, very helpful team. I reckon you should ring and ask them about a sample.

################################

1K Club Member

Can't be absolutely positive about who is offering sample pots. Could be worth trying to narrow down your selection by viewing sample coatings on your specific timber . The type of things you can find in most paint departments. If you think you have several contenders give the companies tech department & ask how you can get some small sample. If no luck then just purchase the smallest amount of the highest rank contender. A lot of product can be purchased in a 1 litre container. When you think about the cost and effort of building & maintaining exterior timber IMO the cost of coating is not that much of an issue.

In the past I know Flood had sample pots. I am fairly certain Sikkens does as well.

Golden Member

u know what, im nearly in a position to test every single deck finish, as within the last 12 months, i and my friends and clients, have used almost every decking finish available, and it would probably be the first time someone has dont a test. perhaps i should do just what you recommend jim, with the leftovers i have, both tinted, and untinted, and give photographic results.
    all shoudl be tested on the same new jarrah deck samples following manufacturers prep guidelines to be fair..

IM GOING TO DO THIS.
    im inspired.

Just checking the shed for material which is still within age, and isnt in a stupidly large tin half full...

Intergrain DWD system untinted
    Intergrain Ultra Deck Natural (untinted) Water Based Decking Oil
    Sikkens Deck (incidently, sample pots are available somewhere)
    Sikken Cetol HLSe (a bit old and coloured teak)
    Cabots AquaDeck Natural (untinted)
    Cabots Natural Decking oil , coloured jarrah
    Feast Watson Decking Oil, real oil decking oil, really old like 10 years, probably expired and no good, but worth a test

Things id like to test or hear feedback about:
    Feast Watson wet look deck
    Feast Watson water based decking oil
    definately want to hear abotu the expensive Sikkens Cetol BLX Pro and
    Sikkens Cetol Deck Slip Resistant over Cetol HLSe, which i suspect would simply be a different sheen level, however different sheen level for oil based paints outside always affects longevity

1K Club Member

Go for it. When I first started restoring decking I made mini decks 600mm long & 4 boards wide. I started with Flood Spa&Deck and I put the deck panel on my roof with a date written. A year later I would grab it & have a look. When another product emerge I did the same. Often I would do a Spa&deck at the same time. The 2 panels would be next to each other on my roof . Then I could compare one against the other. Well 13 years later I am still using Spa&deck. Not because I think it is the best but I need something for customers and I really don't want calls or hassles from my customers. Ok it may not look as fancy or show the grain as others but it handles the sun great and is a very simple & easy application & reapplication. I DO NOT follow the manufactures application procedures at all and haven't for 9 .

I sand everything I coat so there is no need to use the 2 preparation chemicals. The first is powerlift which is essentially a sodium percarbonate (napisan) solution. The second is prep which is oxalic acid. I only apply the first coating on dry wood. It works perfectly.

2 years ago PPG (huge multinational) makes Taubmans & white Knight bought the rights to make Spa&Deck. They have changed the formula. I have used probably 3000 litres of Spa&Deck. I can tell it is thinner & more transparent. I think it looks a little better than the older thicker formula. Still touch dries in 15 minutes or so , almost no smell & washes out easily in cold water. $ coats in full sun (where I live) generally keeps for 15-18 months. Then wash dirt from deck & re apply 2 coats for another 15-18 months.

And finally I get no kick backs from PPG infact I have found them useless on a Public Relations basis. Even the local rep will not make contact. I only care about keeping folks who put $ in my bank account HAPPY!!! Spa& deck seems to do this for me.