Hire the best Decking Expert

fixing/attachment steel posts to cantilevered deck

3K Club Member

Default fixing/attachment steel posts to cantilevered deck

Just considering a cantilevered deck and correct fixing/attachment for custom made (can be made to suit) steel posts beginning at deck level and steel handrailing.What would be the best way to approach this? Joists are 90x45 MGP12 treated pine. Deck is 1200mm off ground approx.

Cheers for any input, Su.

Steel posts as in balustrade posts I assume. If so, just get plate welded on the bottom section to bolt onto the side of a joist and for the top a flat plate ( like a house column) and run the steel handrail over the plate and screw from the bottom. You would need some blocking between the joists next to the posts to limit the rotating (only 90 mm). What size steel are we talking for post and rail ?

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by ringtail View Post
    Steel posts as in balustrade posts I assume. If so, just get plate welded on the bottom section to bolt onto the side of a joist and for the top a flat plate ( like a house column) and run the steel handrail over the plate and screw from the bottom. You would need some blocking between the joists next to the posts to limit the rotating (only 90 mm). What size steel are we talking for post and rail ?
    Cheers Ringtail. Yes, balustrade posts is correct assumption. Not sure of the steel size yet. I won't be making them but will keep my eye on it all. Any suggestions? Just tried finding info but none found so far.

Quote Originally Posted by shauck View Post
    Cheers Ringtail. Yes, balustrade posts is correct assumption. Not sure of the steel size yet. I won't be making them but will keep my eye on it all. Any suggestions? Just tried finding info but none found so far.

2 options I think. Either as per my original post or if you want to surface mount onto the decking just a plate top and bottom - could look fugly like that though

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by ringtail View Post
    2 options I think. Either as per my original post or if you want to surface mount onto the decking just a plate top and bottom - could look fugly like that though
    I think the first option seems like the go. Unfortunately that would best be done before the decking and I'm finding that the steel related jobs are piling up and wonder how long it will take Nik to get around to it. In the mean time the house needs cladding and that wall is high and would be best done from a finished deck. Anyway, I still prefer the first option for best fixing. I can see a way around the problem and fix the decking first.