Hire the best Decking Expert

Floating Floor Best Hardwood? or Bamboo?

Amateur D-I-Yer

Default Floating Floor Best Hardwood? or Bamboo?

I am considering installing a timber floating floor over a new concrete slab.

I favour the Veneers over the Laminates, and the click-together over the glued.

I would like to choose a timber on the following priorities.

1. Environmentally friendly ie not unnecessarily ripping down old-growth forests

2. Hard-wearing

3. Cheap

4. Appearance (I don't mind the 3-plank veneers in the short lengths)

Tassy Oak seems reasonably priced - and when I lived in Victoria it was the standard hardwood flooring.

I am also considering Bamboo, but I have heard some bad reports about it - especially the click-together floating planks.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

SkyHook

Hi Skyhook,

We had the bamboo laminate installed about a month ago (couldn't afford the 'real' stuff at $64 sq m. Had over 100sq m to do!!)

It was 12mm, high gloss. Looks superb, however has a tendancy to squeak/creak at times.

But throughout the threads I was searching at the time, there seemed to be a few people that had all sorts of wood flooring laid and had similar problems. Either self laid or professionally.

We ended up getting a professional to lay it. He made mention of the 'bad machining' of some of the pieces as they didn't fully join like they should have .

Have tried the talc suggestion, but didn't make that much of a difference.

We have found that the squeak occurs when you walk on it first thing in the morning (suspecting due to temperature drop overnight with the expansion/contraction thing).

After you walk on it a few times, the noise 'disappears'.

Over the weekend, being home the whole time, we never heard it after the 'first morning trample'.

Let's us know if there are any burglars during the night though!!

Hope others can help you out with assisting as I know it was stressful when we were trying to make such a decision.

Good luck

Style Glen Iris

Quote Originally Posted by SkyHook View Post
    I am also considering Bamboo, but I have heard some bad reports about it - especially the click-together floating planks.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

SkyHook
    All floating floors with creak and make noises when walking on them, they are a cheap solution for putting down a floor, the only way to resolve this is to lay direct to bearers or hard stick.

We pull up at least 2 floors a month and they are always floating floors.

Quality bamboo is what you need to research if you are wanting something to stay down for years.
    Paul Ashby

Apprentice (new member)

Skyhook

We currently have bamboo installed in our home and absolutely love it.

We have High gloss compressed bamboo installed using the direct stick method to a concrete slab (slab sealed before laid)

Cost wise though you get what you pay for approx $90 - $100 m2 installed.

Anthony

The strand woven bamboo is as hard as nails, something like 14 or 16 on the
    Janka hardness scale and is also suppose to be more dimensionally stable etc.

I am thinking about it for my next floor project but looking at direct stick or over battons, however I need to find a good acoustic underlay first (its for a unit).

Really the only thing I dont like is the pre-finished micro bevel on the timber. It is just a dust/dirt collector. This is currently what is keeping me from considering it.

You should stick to a pre-finished engineered floor. If you want a glueless one, use the Readyflor with the Uniclic joining system. You can also direct stick this the sub-floor.

Readyflor is a product that wont creak, the only reason a floor will creak is because of a few reasons.
    Poor machining of joins ( the uniclic joining system is 100% spot on)
    Floor laid on uneven slab
    Dirt or other foreign objects in the join
    wrong pva used (for the engineered floors that require pva)
    floor laid too tight (no expansion)

Tas Oak is a very good timber, very popular. Whilst the Readyflor coating is scratch resistant, Tas Oak isn't a terribly hard timber. In saying this, generally the harder timbers are more expensive, so you may have to compromise somewhere here!

As far as environmentally stable, the core of Readyflor is made from a timber called havea brasiliensis (normal known as rubber wood) Years ago these tree's were grown and burnt to simply extract what then turns into latex. Now Readyflor puts the timber part to good use as well!
    Also 1m2 on tongue and groove flooring is enough to make 4m2 of Readyflor.

Hope this helps...
    Regards,
    Your One Stop Shop For All Your Flooring Needs...