Hire the best Decking Expert

Intergrain DWD to finish Merbau deck

Default Intergrain DWD to finish Merbau deck

Hi - I have just installed a Merbau Deck that is now about 8 weeks old. I am thinking of using Intergrain Reviva / Dimension 4 / DWD on the surface instead of oiling it. Has anyone had good or bad experiences with these products?

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by Jo West View Post
    Hi - I have just installed a Merbau Deck that is now about 8 weeks old. I am thinking of using Intergrain Reviva / Dimension 4 / DWD on the surface instead of oiling it. Has anyone had good or bad experiences with these products?
    The brother in law swears by it (dwd). 3 coats straight on looks bloody fantastic.I am about to do my deck (merbau) in it but first I have to complete the job. I have used dwd on a sample and it looks ok.
    cheers

some of the pros on this forum swear by spa n deck by flood... do a search..

Cheers
    Pulse

Apprentice (new member) johnmurrell's Avatar

Default DWD or....

Hi Jo

"...swear by it..." many also swear at it...

The two times I have applied it I found it needed lots of smooth long brushing (are padding or applicating real words?) to even out the pigment. Thinning about 10% with water also helped.

The DWD decks that I usually see are "weather beaten" and the film coating has split and lifted. Any film coating subject to a lot of sun will eventually split and lift. This happens because the timber expands and contracts as it heats and cools, absorbs moisture from rain and the atmosphere and then dries out again; while the coating has limited flexibility and also limited UV resistance. The only "maintenance" for this is to sand it all off and start again.

So, while film coatings are easier to keep clean and last longer than oils, there is no simple repair/maintenance in the long run; while penetrating treatments (traditional oils and Spa-n-deck) need more maintenance, the maintenance is a lot easier.

But, of course, if your deck is out of the sun... then the DWD will last for years.

Cheers

John ALL EXTERIOR CLEANING

DWD leave it the shelf for some other poor bugger to buy.. It shatters and peels off and requires sanding back to recoat ..Stick with oil or spa n deck

cheers utemad

1K Club Member

DWD is the only product (I have found)that when it is exposed to a full sun position on a hot day will actually form an air bubble-blister that can actually be punctured and pulled off. I support Utemads opinion. If you want to see DWD on a merbau deck after 2 years of full sun exposure on the Sunshine Coast (Kawana Island) please look at my web site. Scroll down to the #12 picture of before. It is a pool deck on a canal with a pool cover in the picture.

I hope this may be of some help.

Good luck

JimJ

www.restore-a-deck.com.au