Hire the best Decking Expert

joist and bearer size

Default joist and bearer size

hey all im building a deck and just wondering if my sizes and spans would be ok? joists are 90x45 and bearers are 140x45 (2)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210309_162359.jpg  

7K Club Member

Looks like you've gotten this from Blocklayer...

BIM

Goodluck with getting certified
    It would be best to run that by an Engineer or Building surveyor
    Most of those apps online are rubbish

7K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by BIM View Post
    Goodluck with getting certified
    It would be best to run that by an Engineer or Building surveyor
    Most of those apps online are rubbish
    No self-interest whatsoever in that response, hey BIM?

I doubt anyone would find a better site than Blocklayer for its multitude purposes, and free to boot! Why don't you have a good look around it, and if you find a fault with it, let him know - but again, yeah, that wouldn't be in your self-interest, would it....?

2K Club Member

For the record Blocklayer DOES NOT provide assistance with loads and spacings etc. That's still up to the individual. But as a tool to assist with laying it out it's the best, and free to boot.
    Used it a LOT with stairs, rafters etc.
    And.....your point is.....what exactly?

7K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by David.Elliott View Post
    For the record Blocklayer DOES NOT provide assistance with loads and spacings etc. That's still up to the individual. But as a tool to assist with laying it out it's the best, and free to boot.
    Used it a LOT with stairs, rafters etc.
    Of course. I found it extremely helpful in running stud lengths for skillion and gable walls.

There is plenty of software that will help with loads, spans, spacings etc, for 'generic' timber grades/sizes and manufacturer-specific timber. It's been quite some time since I've needed those too, so probably even more out there now...

BIM

Quote Originally Posted by Yeeha88 View Post
    hey all im building a deck and just wondering if my sizes and spans would be ok? joists are 90x45 and bearers are 140x45 (2)
    refer to AS 1684 Residential Timber Framed Construction ( recipe based design) if you are unable to find or match the information
    Then there is AS 1720 Timber structures which will require a Structural Engineer and calculations.
    I don't make these rules, but they're there for a purpose. hth

7K Club Member

Australian software (some free) basically conforms to AS 1684 or better.

Can someone name some common examples used these days?

Someone else here may want to dive into the AS for you and advise, and I used to do that a lot without hesitation, but I leave it to others these days

Quote Originally Posted by Yeeha88 View Post
    Hi there Yeeha from Brisbane.
    Your stump and bearers sizes and spans are OK. The joist are a bit on the limit. Make sure you don't have the joists further apart and make sure you buy MGP10 treated pine and not F7. If you really must use 90x45, why not add one more joist and have them spaced at 0.4 centers? That will give it that bit more stiffness, with just one extra joist.

If in doubt consult the span table https://www.renovateforum.com/f196/d...-tables-90087/
    I find the third one "All seasons" useful.
    Blocker's application is far from "rubbish", but I feel generous today and will keep my sling in the back pocket.

Science is never settled,
    it advances one funeral at the time.
    Max Planck

thank you mate appreciate the feedback

Quote Originally Posted by r3nov8or View Post

I doubt anyone would find a better site than Blocklayer for its multitude purposes, and free to boot! Why don't you have a good look around it, anf if you find a fault with it, let him know - but again, yeah, that wouldn't be in your self-interest, would it....?
    Agree, Blocklayer is a very helpful guy, if you find something that you would like included / modified in his programs, simply send him a message and he will do the modifications as requested if it makes sense.
    He is a bricky by trade and spends a lot of time making the online calculators for free.

I believe the calculations on his diagrams are all to AS specifications and being in the trade I can't see he would not base the calculations on the standards, but cannot confirm this as I use other methods to determine appropriate materials.
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

2K Club Member

Tp is cheap, stumps take time, effort materials to build - generally, the sweet spot for joists is 140/45, and bearers 240/45 x 2 which I think gets rid of 7 stumps - to me thats $700 in value approx for stumps.

your floor joists can span to 2600 with 140/45's, If you keep them to 2.4 or below, that means you can use the bearers at a 2400 FLW, so 2x 240/45 @ FLW of 2000 means just 3 stumps in a single row (keep bearer continuous as well) - anyway just as idea as to different ways to achieve the same outcome.

If its a high deck, where a failure is a very bad outcome, then a bit more detailing is required to protect the long term performance - i'm making the assumption its fairly low and backyard (cantilvering gets you a little more effective span as well sometimes) either way, dont design on 90/45's - its rarely worth it unless its a super low deck