Hire the best Decking Expert

Laying Joist ??

Novice

Default Laying Joist ??

Hi all I am building my deck at the moment and because it is half on concrete and half on dirt I was wondering if I can lay my joist on the 90 face down rather standing it on the 45 as this would make building the deck easier and I do know it would not be structural but i will add extra pieces of timber underneath each joist to make it stronger

?? What are the joist being supported by?

Whats half on concrete and half on dirt got to do with it?
    I'm no expert, but know enough to be dangerous...

Mmmm, no.

Definately not recommended

Old Chippy 6K

The answer is that a sensible answer can't be given with that info. You can pay a joist on its flat - but that changes the dimension used for working out a suitable span (it is now 45mm deep not 90mm). If timbre is directly over concrete is not unusual to lay the 'joists' as battens on the flat. So need much more info - or pics or a sketch of what is proposed.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

Quote Originally Posted by R3N0-S View Post
    can lay my joist on the 90 face down rather standing it on the 45
    This question is exactly why the government brings in legislation to limit the work undertaken by owner builders.

FatMax

Quote Originally Posted by Brickie View Post
    This question is exactly why the government brings in legislation to limit the work undertaken by owner builders.
    God I hope the same legislation limits the work that the builder reflexor is dealing with. Dont know if you have seen the thread in tiling. That guy has been put through hell by his so called "builder".
    I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder.

I'm an owner-builder (twice) and I spent a significant amount of my time on site explaining the BCA to some of the clowns who called themselves tradesmen that I employed. And that included the brickies Brickie.

Nothing important mind you. Just missing reo in the footings, incorrectly constructed articulation joints, insufficient number of cavity ties, a brick wall that was 40mm out of parallel with its opposite, plumbers cutting thru the hoop-iron cross-bracing, roofers who've never heard of a spirit level. Trivial stuff

Old Chippy 6K

Well no - it's a legitimate question and the BCA allows it under particular circumstances - so long as the timber in that configuration can carry the loads intended. As my earlier post said - not enough info was given to know the answer.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

Not at all, its up to council or certified inspectors to pass the work thats been done as being ok.
    I deal with hundreds of chippies and builders through work - a great number have no idea of the BCA regarding many aspects of the building trade and even less have any knowledge of timber grades, types, species or applications etc.
    I'm not throwing a blanket statement down, some are extremely professional and knowledgable in their work but many I'm scared are out there building people houses