Hire the best Decking Expert

Looking for some tips on sealing a newly laid deck

Apprentice (new member)

Default Looking for some tips on sealing a newly laid deck

Hi all
    I am already aware of diffenrent kinds of oil based and water based sealants. I have done extensive research and have read the posts on this forum. We had a few years old deck that wasn't maintained and as the decking boards were falling apart we decided to replace the boards with Merbau.
    We have just finished the deck on Thursday and I believe we need to leave it for few weeks to let the tannins leach out.
    My problem is that I live in Canberra and as much as I like the oil based sealant we are not going to get much warmer weather from here on. In another few weeks we will also be getting the frost.
    My question - How long can I leave the deck without sealing it. Or is it perhaps better for me to use water based sealant as it dries faster. What should be my options?

Hopeful for some helpful advice here.

I will only ever use oil based. Water based is film forming and the only way to strip to a clean surface is sanding, the oil based can be cleaned with nappy san.
    I would seal it as soon as possible, I dont believe there is any advantage in letting it weather.

Apprentice (new member)

Thank you for your reply. But this house is a rental property and I don't have the time to let the oil dry as we are heading into winters. So I am leaning towards the haymes dexpress.

7K Club Member

Seal it today. Sooner if possible

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks for your reply. Are you saying that I shouldn't wait for the tannins to release and I should go ahead and seal the deck first thing tomorrow morning. I have just posted another thread with the images of the deck with some questions if you could reply to those that would be wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by raveena View Post
    Thanks for your reply. Are you saying that I shouldn't wait for the tannins to release and I should go ahead and seal the deck first thing tomorrow morning. I have just posted another thread with the images of the deck with some questions if you could reply to those that would be wonderful.
    The tannin release is really only from the surface, if you ever sand the deck you start from a fresh surface.
    There is really no gain to be had from weathering the deck.

From your other post you have already used a desk wash, if all the tannins are removed from the timber what colour would you expect to be left with ? They are the colour of the timber.

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    The tannin release is really only from the surface, if you ever sand the deck you start from a fresh surface.
    There is really no gain to be had from weathering the deck.

From your other post you have already used a desk wash, if all the tannins are removed from the timber what colour would you expect to be left with ? They are the colour of the timber.
    So does that mean we shouldn't have used the tannin wash? Although a bit too late for that now.

Quote Originally Posted by raveena View Post
    So does that mean we shouldn't have used the tannin wash? Although a bit too late for that now.
    Personally I would not have.
    Sand, clean (some suggest water wash down, I just blow the dust off), coat