Hire the best Decking Expert

Need timber deck recomendations - too many species!

2K Club Member

Default Need timber deck recomendations - too many species!

Hi,

as part of my renovations I am buiding some stairs and and a 27sqm deck out of H3 treated pine for structure, but need to choose a decking timber.

I am planning on using concealeed fixings (Deklok?), so a hardwood timber thats not the worlds hardest would be in order. It will be oiled as appropriate but exposed to full sun for a bit over 50% of the day.

Last deck I did, i just used yellow balua (cheapest hardwood available), but now other choices are merbau, bellian plus a it would seem a million others, and getting quotes is proving difficult if you cant compare like with like.

Yep, its my house, and I do intend living here 15yrs or so, however i am a tightarse, so money is an object, and value for dollar is a good thing!

any input would be greatly appreciated.

pharmaboy2

I just purchased 1050 meters of cyprus pine decking in Rutherford for $1 a meter which I thought was a fairly good price. PM me if are interesed in a phone number

woodcutta

At the risk of being unpopular

If money is an object have you considered treated pine decking finished with a good decking paint?

Thats what I did and Im happy with it..... plus they only need recoating every 5 years rather than every 6-12 months.....

Of course its not an option if you are keen to see the grain of the timbers etc..... just food for thought

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...ad.php?t=39075

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

2K Club Member

heh, dub - as long as TP is painted, you wont be unpopular! - or better yet clear oiled and upside down ;D

seriously considering bellian as of today as a category 1 timber, I have painted a deck before, but the red brown of timber battens is part of the colour design, so HW it is!

Have you looked at iron bark or spotted gum at all? Up here ironbark is about $5 LM Spotted gum is a little more but both look great when oiled up.
    Dave,
    hug the tree before you start the chainsaw.