Hire the best Decking Expert

New deck build + landscaping + retaining walls

Default New deck build + landscaping + retaining walls

After using this site for a lot of ideas and help I thought I would post my build on here.

This is my first reno and have big plans for the backyard, which inlcudes landscaping the already split level backyard, installing a new deck and two retaining walls that will need to be built.

The idea is to have a deck that sits just a bit higher than the level you walk out onto. I have already installed a 3.2m cascading aluminium door, replacing a normal swinging wooden door and window, this has been the best addition to the house so far and not only looks great but was about half the price of a bifolding wooden door.

Deck is made from treated pine including the decking itself, I'm planning on painting posts etc and possibly staining the decking boards for a merbau type colour.

Below is the effort so far, any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_4462.jpg   img_4457.jpg   img_4456.jpg   img_4469.jpg   img_4472.jpg  

img_4474.jpg   img_4472.jpg   img_4477.jpg   img_4479.jpg   img_4478.jpg  

img_4504.jpg   img_4505.jpg   img_4506.jpg  

Looking good so far , noticed that you had some heavy rain during the build! Why are you having the deck higher than the inside ? and are you covering the deck?

Flaccid Member - 1k Club Member

make sure you put some joist protection on the joists before you lay the decking!

7K Club Member

Looking good. Interested in the roof you are planning on - looks ripe for a flyover!

What's with the neighbour's roof and the light coloured tiles here and there?

Thanks guys.

Jiggy, the decking will be the same height as the flooring in the house, the photos must be deceptive.

And yes there will eventually be a roof over it, using roof extender brackets on the top plate. I like the extra height they give, as well as allowing a bit of air flow, anyone used these? recommended?

Since taking these photos I have added another beam in the middle of the deck, there was a fair bit of movement, even with my weight over 3 or 4 joists it moved too much for my liking, maybe being too fussy with it but think its worth it.

stevoh741, what do you recommend for joist protection? I have never really looked into this, but have seen it on other builds. Whats the advantages of protecting the joists?

And I have no idea whats going on with the neighbours tiles, every so often theyve been painted white, maybe so he can find it easier on google earth?

7K Club Member

There are several examples of roof extenders and fly over roofs in this forum. Go for it.

Re the extra beam, good move. I hadn't noticed the long joist span earlier. Much better with a centre beam.

Flaccid Member - 1k Club Member

Hey ST33VO, I normally use malthoid (bitumous paper) cheap and available at most hardwares (including green shed). Comes in a 150mm wide roll so cut in half to lay on joists - which allows 10mm overhang each side. They have other joist protection stuff there too but IMHO malthoid is cheaper and far superior to them. It kind of impregnates itself into the top of the joist and allows no water under there.

Hey Everybody,

Just updating the progress of the build. Decking is laid now, retaining walls finished and grass is growing. Next step is to put a roof on it!

2011-07-10-16.48.24.jpg2011-07-10-16.48.50.jpg2011-07-10-16.48.59.jpg2011-07-10-16.49.19.jpg2011-09-01-12.55.52.jpg2011-09-01-12.56.02.jpg2011-09-01-12.56.14.jpg

Apprentice (new member)

We are at your first stage now - just getting the framework etc in. We are putting down a treated pine deck as we wanted to spend more money on a really good roof. What are your plans from here to treat the timber? Have you got a plan of action?
    I thought something like this but it gets confusing:
    1) let it sit for a few weeks (how long)
    2) Clean it?? With what?
    3) Oil it - with oil based or water based decking oil? There seems to be a lot of discussion about which is best.

Where are you up to now?
    jenell

Hi Jenell,

I am painting all the timber (except for the decking) in colourbond colour 'Ironstone'. As far as the oiling/staining of the decking I have heard water based products are better but have no experience here. I will be staining the decking too but have not looked into the different products yet. I'm sure someone else on here could give you better advice.

As far as where I am up to, over the weekend I installed all my roof extenda brackets and suppport beam on the roof.
    Steve